Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was yesterday a record attendance?  (Read 5196 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Was yesterday a record attendance?
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 09:53:32 AM »
Since MU announced it was a sell out months ago, there's zero chance it wasn't, or that they bought tickets to make it one. 

While the Packer game is a giant deal, I just don't know why people would pass up a huge game and not do both.   You could easily have seen 90%+ of the MU game, then make it back to watch the kick-off.  Instead, you flush your tickets?  Doesn't make sense.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
2nd time we've had a statement win in the shadow of football
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 10:04:35 AM »
Living in SEC country, one thing I love about my years at Marquette (83-87) was that the basketball players were truly kind, not eclipsed by 60 football players.  I now live 2 miles from Auburn's campus, and watch their games from the 45-yard line behind the player's parents, but then can completely focus on Marquette basketball once it starts up.

Ironically though, two of Marquette's biggest wins have been in the shadow of football.  The 15-point drubbing of UConn two years ago that served notice that we would not be also-rans in the Big East was overlooked by many across the country because it was on the same night at the BCS football championshiop.  Now we beat Notre Dame (#27 in the AP coming in) by the biggest margin in school history, and we get eclipsed again by Brett Favre's incredible run!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 10:23:22 AM »
Since MU announced it was a sell out months ago, there's zero chance it wasn't, or that they bought tickets to make it one. 

While the Packer game is a giant deal, I just don't know why people would pass up a huge game and not do both.   You could easily have seen 90%+ of the MU game, then make it back to watch the kick-off.  Instead, you flush your tickets?  Doesn't make sense.

Unless you have both Packers and MU season tickets.
But I like to throw handfuls...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 10:38:40 AM »
True, but extremely rare.  How many Milwaukee-package people got round 1 playoff tickets .. and had MU tickets?  Can't be more than 100 people that fit in that group.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »
With Marquette scheduled to face Notre Dame at 1 p.m. on Saturday, the Office of Residence Life open the residence halls for second semester move-in at 9 a.m. on game day. Overnight guests, however, WILL NOT be permitted in the residence halls on Saturday or Sunday.

Classic res life...why no Saturday night?  Did the RAs need one more night of freedom, partying at Brew Bayou or Ziggies?  I love how Res Life makes a federal matter of everything.

What? That might be the weakest stereotype I have ever heard. I have no affiliation with Residence Life, but I just don't see how saying when the dorms open is making something a "federal matter."  Thats pretty rediculous

have you ever lived in an MU dorm? if so then you know how the RA's are a joke and think they're FBI agents during martial law. res life at MU runs an excellent system and provides many services for students, but more often than not they take themselves too seriously and definitely win the award for the biggest hardasses on campus

I honestly have no idea what kind of RA's you have had or what buildings you've been in, but having been an RA for a year and a half at Carpenter, I can honestly say that RA's who think they are FBI agents and go powertripping are the vast minority.  I would rarely, if ever, go looking for people to get in trouble, but if you are blatant with your attempts to break the rules, you are probably going to get caught.  There is a lot more stuff that goes on and goes unpunished than the stuff that actually gets disciplined, believe me.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »
With Marquette scheduled to face Notre Dame at 1 p.m. on Saturday, the Office of Residence Life open the residence halls for second semester move-in at 9 a.m. on game day. Overnight guests, however, WILL NOT be permitted in the residence halls on Saturday or Sunday.

Classic res life...why no Saturday night?  Did the RAs need one more night of freedom, partying at Brew Bayou or Ziggies?  I love how Res Life makes a federal matter of everything.

WOW.

I've never seen somebody bitter about Res Life.

What did they ever do to you?

I don't think I ever had any run-ins with Res-life, either positive or negative. We pretty much did what we wanted... and if what we wanted was outside of the rules, we did it quietly.

Some of the "rules" were kind of lame, but they are really just looking out for student safety... so like I said, we just broke the rules quietly and never had a problem.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »

What? That might be the weakest stereotype I have ever heard. I have no affiliation with Residence Life, but I just don't see how saying when the dorms open is making something a "federal matter."  Thats pretty rediculous

have you ever lived in an MU dorm? if so then you know how the RA's are a joke and think they're FBI agents during martial law. res life at MU runs an excellent system and provides many services for students, but more often than not they take themselves too seriously and definitely win the award for the biggest hardasses on campus

one time i had a friend checked in and I walked outside to hang out with a girl who was having a smoke and then walked back in.  I got in trouble for not having my guest with me and had my guest privalges taken away for the rest of the symester.  Which i thought was a huge over-reaction but the hilarious part was the letter i got from the hall director.  It said that he hoped my punishment "would change my life for the better."  Are you f'ing serious?  CHnage my life for the better?  I highlighted the line and posted the letter on my door.

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 06:21:53 PM »
I was caught for "being in the presence of alcohol." I received a letter from the Hall Director telling me that "being in the presence is just as bad as consumption of alcohol." My RA had a Haiku board outside his door, so I wrote the following:
Got letter today
Can't be around alcohol
Guess no church for me

The Haiku board was removed shortly afterward on order of the Hall Director.

RAs usually aren't dicks, they're more like overgrown, eager-beaver Boy Scouts
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:28:33 PM by Steak »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »
I was caught for "being in the presence of alcohol." I received a letter from the Hall Director telling me that "being in the presence is just as bad as consumption of alcohol." My RA had a Haiku board outside his door, so I wrote the following:
Got letter today
Can't be around alcohol
Guess no church for me

RAs usually aren't dicks, they're more like overgrown, eager-beaver Boy Scouts

Solid generalization of RAs. I couldn't put it any better myself. I also can't stand ResLife, they really need to loosen up their reigns. Many of the RAs were intrusive and would enter rooms frequently in my experience.

The room next to me was forcibly entered because they heard a party. They had to forcibly enter because no one would open the door. What they found was a single resident taking a shower with the stereo on right next to the  door. That Hall Director, RAs, and DPS officers had to feel like absolute Asshats.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »
it probably was a sell out.  But based on the looks of the arena probably 2000 or so decided to stay home and watch it on TV and watch the Packers game too.  Would not be surprised is alot of the no shows were in Lambeau. I have two friends ( 4tix) that bailed on Mu and Went to the Packers game.  The crowd was good but there were 1000+ no shows botoom line, the corners were top 10 rows empty.  Up 25 with 10 minutes to go the mass exodus began.

feedback