Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ode to the Bradley Center  (Read 12505 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Ode to the Bradley Center
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »
The funniest moment had to be the Bat game. Nothing topped a completely darkened Bradley Center with the soundsystem blaring "My Heart Will Go On". That coupled with the bat swooping at both Cooley and appropriately Kadeem Batts...it doesn't get better than that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »
The funniest moment had to be the Bat game. Nothing topped a completely darkened Bradley Center with the soundsystem blaring "My Heart Will Go On". That coupled with the bat swooping at both Cooley and appropriately Kadeem Batts...it doesn't get better than that.
I hope there is either a before/halftime/after game thing on the bradley center highlights and the bat makes it.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
March 8, 2003 vs Cincinnati

February 16, 2002 vs Louisville

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
My first game at the BC was Marquette's first.  Versus Rice on a Friday night during Dukiet's second year.  They did the whole "turnoff the lights and introduce the team thing," but the lights took about five minutes to get fully bright again so the tip was delayed.  We were all amped to see the beginning of the Gerald Posey era.  He had to sit out as a Prop 48 his freshman year and was supposedly "dominating in practice."  It took me until about halftime to realize he wasn't any good.  Season went down from there.

LOL

That is too funny.  Someone has to write that into a comedy somewhere

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »
One of my first games as a student, I remember DJO putting some ill-advised red-headed kid on a poster with a MONSTER one-hander in non-conference play. They posted a picture of it online and I was in the background looking on in enchantment.

Bat game was amazing as many people have already stated. I remember someone created a short-lived Bradley Center Bat twitter account.

Probably felt the most upset after the Vanderbilt beatdown, but then didn't lose a game at home for a year and a half.

They sent out a campus-wide warning about not chanting YOU SUCK during the Hey Song but very next game against DePaul, no one cared and it was the loudest I'd ever heard it! Haven't heard the Hey Song since.

Didn't always approve of all of the NSFW moments against Bucky and others but not gonna lie, always entertaining. Personal favorite was when they showed a sign on the Jumbotron someone made for that game against Cuse that said something like "Michael-Carter Williams GF Vander Blue Me".

Enjoying all of the memories from the seasoned Scoopers. Wish I had been around for some of those. Thanks for sharing everyone!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 01:31:59 PM »
There was something special about your first game as a student as well. Still remember it well, a 50 point beatdown against Mount St. Mary's. The best times I had at Marquette were at basketball games my Freshman and Sophomore year.

You kinda knew that year was going to be really special when they went into the Kohl Hole without Junior and pretty much dominated Wisconsin start to finish.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »
I dug this up again about all the close games in the Louisville vs. Marquette series.  The amount of barnburners home and away is incredible actually. While it was a heated rivalry, the fans had mutual respect.  Cardinal fans were cheering wildly for MU versus Murray State and the Big Blue Nation fans.

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2012/1/16/2710357/ten-most-memorable-louisville-vs-marquette-games-rivalry-cardinals-knowles-jerry-smith

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2018, 02:41:30 PM »
I dug this up again about all the close games in the Louisville vs. Marquette series.  The amount of barnburners home and away is incredible actually. While it was a heated rivalry, the fans had mutual respect.  Cardinal fans were cheering wildly for MU versus Murray State and the Big Blue Nation fans.

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2012/1/16/2710357/ten-most-memorable-louisville-vs-marquette-games-rivalry-cardinals-knowles-jerry-smith
That was the best/worst read I've had in a while.  Knowles had no right hitting any of those shots back in '11.  Always hated 'Ville, and knew Slick Rick has been dirty for a long time, but man, we played some exciting games against him.  Imagine this read would be 100x better/worse if it were MU-ND.  We've had memorable games against UW too, but not nearly as many close games.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »
Probably felt the most upset after the Vanderbilt beatdown, but then didn't lose a game at home for a year and a half.

That's another interesting topic. The Vandy game was just an absolute life-sucker. A few others that I remember being really disappointed by:

• St. John's, 2011: The Red Storm came from behind to win, but those last 10 minutes were some of the longest at the BC. One of the few times I really felt the team gave up on Buzz. Effort was so lackluster. Thankfully, the team rallied after that game to make the Sweet 16.
  • Ohio State, 2014: 35 freaking points?!? 16 in the second half?!? Awful game to watch.
  • St. John's, 2015: Our fourth OT loss in conference play, and second straight double OT 1-point loss. Dismal end to a disappointing season that should've been so much better.
  • Iowa, 2016: My god that was an ass-whupping. The BC was dead by the under-12 timeout in the first half.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:10:13 PM by brewcity77 »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2018, 04:05:44 PM »

I always loved that article. Great memories, and the author - while clearly a UL fan - gives a very accurate description of the games. I just wish the sound clips of Homer and Mac for the Hutch and Wardle 3s (numbers 5 and 2 on the list) still worked. They were still functioning when I tried a couple years ago, but seem dead now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2018, 04:12:53 PM »
That's another interesting topic. The Vandy game was just an absolute life-sucker. A few others that I remember being really disappointed by:

• St. John's, 2011: The Red Storm came from behind to win, but those last 10 minutes were some of the longest at the BC. One of the few times I really felt the team gave up on Buzz. Effort was so lackluster. Thankfully, the team rallied after that game to make the Sweet 16.
  • Ohio State, 2014: 35 freaking points?!? 16 in the second half?!? Awful game to watch.
  • St. John's, 2015: Our fourth OT loss in conference play, and second straight double OT 1-point loss. Dismal end to a disappointing season that should've been so much better.
  • Iowa, 2016: My god that was an ass-whupping. The BC was dead by the under-12 timeout in the first half.

Butler this year.

The Ohio State game fell on the same day that one of my younger brothers was playing in the State Tournament for boy's volleyball, so we sold my parents' tickets for way too much for what the person saw.  I almost wanted to give the person their money back.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »
St. John's was 2014 I believe.

I remember that game really well. We were still kicking the tires about a NCAA birth, we'd talk about in in line before every game. Then the back to back 2OT games happened. Never been more disheartened at a MU basketball game.

Still to this day, the Iowa game was the only Marquette game I've left early. I was out of there by halftime.

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2018, 04:23:22 PM »
Bradley Center is a dump and has been a dump since it opened.  A hockey venue where they play basketball.  Worst sight lines of any arena I have ever been in.  Cannot wait until they tear it down. 
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

connie

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »

Those games were awesome.  Really felt it when L left.  Really remember our first BE season, thinking to myself "and then Gtown comes in, and Louisville, UConn, and Syracuse, and.... That whole year is a great BC memory.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »
I was 06-10 so a lot of my favorite games have been mentioned already but last years national Marquette day was awesome. 70 degrees during the day, outdoor drinking, 8pm tip, jumped out to a 18-2 lead, Markus hanging 34 on Xavier, was the start of our making the tournament run. Good times

My buddies and I always joke that the Bradley Center is our favorite bar in Milwaukee. I'll definitely miss it
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »
Butler this year.

The Ohio State game fell on the same day that one of my younger brothers was playing in the State Tournament for boy's volleyball, so we sold my parents' tickets for way too much for what the person saw.  I almost wanted to give the person their money back.

I sold Butler this year. I was flying home from a convention in Florida. We landed at 7:00, I didn't want to try to rush my wife from airport pickup to the BC when I hadn't been home in 5 days. In retrospect, very glad we didn't rush there.

That St. John's was 2014...will correct it, not sure why I put 2015. It was also Buzz's last game at the BC.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2018, 04:51:45 PM »

The Jerry Smith game in 2007 was my second ever MU game (see above).  If I remember correctly it was a game where accepted students were invited to attend with their families.  Do they still do that?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2018, 04:59:22 PM »
Repressed in memory but let's not forget Western Michigan in the NIT for the Stinker Hall of Fame list.  Agree on Butler this year too.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2018, 05:27:16 PM »
Any game I got to walk into an arena and not get that MECCA smell was a good game.  (Went to the Bucks throwback game, and that MECCA smell is still there).
You act like it stinks. I'm in that building 20+ times per year. I love that smell!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:31:01 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

sodakmu87

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
Went to the MU vs UAB in around 2003, I believe,  and it was a loss.   But then we went to the Milwaukee Ale House to see The Happy Schnapps Combo.  The brewery sold out of beer.  That was a hard night when you are pushing 40 and not 22.  Those folks from Sheboygan know how to drink.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2018, 07:49:32 PM »
The Jerry Smith game in 2007 was my second ever MU game (see above).  If I remember correctly it was a game where accepted students were invited to attend with their families.  Do they still do that?

I think we were up 7 with less tgan a minute left? Dan Fitzgeralds unforced travel with 4 seconds left? To give the ball back to louisville?  We had a sky box with friends n had a after game planned.  I went straight back to the hotel.  Had no interest in the rest of tge evening, felt lije i was punched in the gut and face
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
Yes—that one hurt.
Another BMOBC game that hurt was Louisville finishing the game on a 13-0 run when we had a 12 pt lead with 2 min left. Sergio Garcia hit that three that still hurts me to this day.

Always sucks to lose to a f%&*# golfer.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »
This has nothing to do with the Bradley center, so I apologize for the detour..

But for those talking about heartaches and losses, try driving 6 hours with 3 Louisville fans to the Yum Center (and staying downtown Louisville for the weekend) to see MU cough up a 20+ point lead capped off by Buycks missing a break away layup when MU could have dribbled out the clock.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2018, 08:24:04 PM »

But for those talking about heartaches and losses, try driving 6 hours with 3 Louisville fans to the Yum Center (and staying downtown Louisville for the weekend) to see MU cough up a 20+ point lead capped off by Buycks missing a break away layup when MU could have dribbled out the clock.

Was there.  Brutal

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »

Ouch....

feedback