Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Duane is a true Warrior  (Read 7861 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Duane is a true Warrior
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 03:33:46 PM »
Duane tweeting that his college career is over.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 04:17:50 PM »
I actually wondered the same thing about why Theo is dressed and on the bench but hasn't played in the past two games.  Seems like he would either be sick and unavailable and not dressed to play, or he would get at least some action as we pretty clearly could have used him.  Not second guessing Wojo or criticizing Theo but it seemed odd.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 04:57:49 PM »

Damn.  Great kid, wish him all the best in life after college.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
I actually wondered the same thing about why Theo is dressed and on the bench but hasn't played in the past two games.  Seems like he would either be sick and unavailable and not dressed to play, or he would get at least some action as we pretty clearly could have used him.  Not second guessing Wojo or criticizing Theo but it seemed odd.

I think the reality is that Theo shouldn't be playing....but both Theo and Wojo care about winning enough that if there was a situation where three guys foul out, Theo would be available to be a body. Whether or not that is the right call...hard to say
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »
Said news about Duane Wilson. He was a good player for the Warriors and, as others have said, would have been a valuable bench player this season. I don't blame him one iota for going where he would get a lot more playing time. Not sure how Wojo could have promised him more here.

If Theo is contagious, he absolutely shouldn't be on the bench or anywhere near the other guys.

Maybe he's at a stage where he's too ill to go but he's no longer contagious. I'm no doctor; don't even play one on TV.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 07:39:23 PM »

Sorry to hear this.  Think Duane peaked as a Junior/Senior in high school, and then the continued injuries robbed him of his explosiveness, and relegated him to be a role player at the high major level.  Really sad...as he was incredibly explosive in high school.

Duane was (and continues to be) a great representative of Marquette.  Class kid all the way.  He'll be a winner in life no matter what path he takes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 07:54:04 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  Think Duane peaked as a Junior/Senior in high school, and then the continued injuries robbed him of his explosiveness, and relegated him to be a role player at the high major level.  Really sad...as he was incredibly explosive in high school.

Duane was (and continues to be) a great representative of Marquette.  Class kid all the way.  He'll be a winner in life no matter what path he takes.

He was also playing with a future McD AA at the smaller levels of Wisconsin high school basketball.  I think that may have inflated our expectations of him.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »
Duane, if you're reading this, thank you.

We miss you but we hope you have nothing but great experiences and opportunities in the years ahead.

Good luck in the years ahead.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 08:03:34 PM »
Bummer for Duane. Sorry he couldn’t go out at the end of a season.  Will always remember how emotional he was at the end of last year - touching.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 08:36:02 PM »
He was also playing with a future McD AA at the smaller levels of Wisconsin high school basketball.  I think that may have inflated our expectations of him.

He was All Freshman Big East who led all neophytes in scoring in conference play (including Bluiett).  The kid wasn't gifted with good orthopedics. He was the only player last year who could get a stop on defense (and this year if he stayed). One could say he was screwed over by his situation at Marquette, but he never complained and was a consummate representative of the school.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 09:08:21 AM »
Duane's a great representative for our program.  Looking forward to his full recovery, his earning a job overseas, and hopefully his future wearing of the blue/gold on our #TBT team.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 09:17:04 AM »

Dominican may bounce back and forth between D3 & D4 for state but they play as challenging of a schedule as they can in late Nov / Dec, enter every tourney they can and face some proven coaches / teams in conference (Racine St. Cats & Prairie for starters).
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
One could say he was screwed over by his situation at Marquette, but he never complained and was a consummate representative of the school.

And I'd really disagree with those who said that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »
And I'd really disagree with those who said that.

I don't think Buzz did him any favors.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »
Buzz said red-shirt since you have a stress fracture in your hip.   I have enough players that I don't need to repeat the Cadougan mistake.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 09:57:27 AM »
Buzz said red-shirt since you have a stress fracture in your hip.   I have enough players that I don't need to repeat the Cadougan mistake.

Buzz didnt do anything wrong - Wojo didnt do anything wrong. 

However, I personally think the redshirt constrained Duane's option to leave with the coaching change (as many do).  If I were him I would have wanted more playing time and more time at the point...which he didnt get at MU under Wojo.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »

I said his Marquette "situation".  I had dinner with Chew in Orlando and he said Duane was cleared medically and he is biting at the bit. Derrick and Jake were our guards and Todd was sitting academically due to the Pilarz Rules. He was needed and wanted to go.

Then he got the flu and Buzz shut him down with the red shirt.  Then Buzz left Duane at season's end with no real chance to transfer. Made All Big East under Wojo, broke his wrist, had more leg problems, moved to 6th man, then role player. 

Under the new proposed NCAA rules, he could have transferred earlier.  He wanted to play PG.

Again, there is a difference between a school doing him wrong versus a situation.  The kid was a trooper.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 11:33:42 AM »
I don't think Buzz did him any favors.

Ah, in that regard I could see it. I thought Wojo utilized him the right way for the most part. It's really too bad the injuries limited him.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 12:12:35 PM »

and Todd was sitting academically due to the Pilarz Rules. He was needed and wanted to go.

That guy, SMH.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 03:01:34 PM »
I said his Marquette "situation".  I had dinner with Chew in Orlando and he said Duane was cleared medically and he is biting at the bit. Derrick and Jake were our guards and Todd was sitting academically due to the Pilarz Rules. He was needed and wanted to go.

Then he got the flu and Buzz shut him down with the red shirt.  Then Buzz left Duane at season's end with no real chance to transfer. Made All Big East under Wojo, broke his wrist, had more leg problems, moved to 6th man, then role player. 

Under the new proposed NCAA rules, he could have transferred earlier.  He wanted to play PG.

Again, there is a difference between a school doing him wrong versus a situation.  The kid was a trooper.

Interesting. What was the timing with Chew recruiting Ahmed Hill away from MU again? Could have used him the past few years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 07:28:26 PM »

Thanks for this interesting perspective and timeline.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2018, 10:05:44 PM »
He started out really well with A&M, bummed to hear that it's over. Always enjoyed watching him play, hope his knee comes out OK.