[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Not Over Yet  (Read 14994 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Not Over Yet
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 12:34:28 PM »
Sorry. I am not. We won't go 5-0, so when that doesn't happen, we won't know, unless we actually get in. 19-11 likely will not get us in, given the losses. Let's wait and see before the name calling starts.

You're trolling at this point. 5-0 gets us in. By every possible measure possible, 5-0 gets us in. Can we do that? Doubtful. But it gets us in 100% of the time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 12:57:00 PM »
Don't even hear
The murmur of a prayer
It's not dark yet
But it's gettin' there

Bob Dylan
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:03:07 PM by Lennys Tap »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 04:24:27 PM »
You're trolling at this point. 5-0 gets us in. By every possible measure possible, 5-0 gets us in. Can we do that? Doubtful. But it gets us in 100% of the time.
Really? 5-0 "by every possible measure gets us in". What a soothsayer you are! Did not know that you were the head of the selection committee. Marquette this year does not even have a signature win. That certainly will be looked at. And I said it may not get us in. But keep drinking the Wojo wine, and trolling.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 04:25:07 PM »
Really? 5-0 "by every possible measure gets us in". What a soothsayer you are! Did not know that you were the head of the selection committee. Marquette this year does not even have a signature win. That certainly will be looked at. And I said it may not get us in. But keep drinking the Wojo wine, and trolling.

Lol
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 04:48:39 PM »
We didn't win our last 4, but we did win 4 of our last 5. Loss @ PC was mixed in there

Thanks for the correction. But that makes it even better! Winning 4 of our last 5 is exactly what we have to do!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 04:52:35 PM »

Willie,

If we finish 5-0 our RPI is estimated to be 49 with an SOS of 27. If you can find me a team that was left out of the tournament with that RPI or higher/SOS or higher since the tournament expanded to 68 teams then I will declare you right. Hell, find a team with that resume or better that has been left out since the field expanded to 64 and I will believe you.

I'll hang up and listen.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
Willie,

If we finish 5-0 our RPI is estimated to be 49 with an SOS of 27. If you can find me a team that was left out of the tournament with that RPI or higher/SOS or higher since the tournament expanded to 68 teams then I will declare you right. Hell, find a team with that resume or better that has been left out since the field expanded to 64 and I will believe you.

I'll hang up and listen.

Moreso, look at the teams on the bubble THIS YEAR and tell me how that team could be left out. The resumes around the bubble are absolutely terrible and 5-0 would make us an absolute stone cold 1000% lock, with the only possible reason for exclusion being MU going on probation between now and Selection Sunday.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 06:31:14 PM »
If we run the table we will already have done enough for the tournament and won't need to win any in the BET.

If we go 4-1 we might have done enough but would like to win the first game just to be safe.

If we go 3-2 we likely need to get to the BET championship....and even that may not be enough.

We are certainly still alive but based on what we've seen since the second half started I'm finding it difficult to believe that we can get it done. I think we end up finishing 3-2 and make the NIT.

While what you say is true and I hope it happens.....

We have lost 6 out of the last 6 - to expect us to run the table seems like a real reach. Yes, I realize the schedule is easier, but Creighton is still a better team than us

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »

We have lost 6 out of the last 6 - to expect us to run the table seems like a real reach. Yes, I realize the schedule is easier, but Creighton is still a better team than us

I musta dreamed the win at Seton Hall.

But I agree, which is why I said I think it ends up being 3-2
TAMU

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »

We’ve lost 6 in a row? Might want to check the W/L column again?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
We’ve lost 6 in a row? Might want to check the W/L column again?

I'm guessing you know I just hit the wrong key, but couldn't help[ yourself :(

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »
Gosh and I though it was the Croatians.
Hey know your history!
GERMANS!

https://youtu.be/V8lT1o0sDwI
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:22:31 AM by Newsdreams »
Goal is National Championship

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:45 AM »
I see some overthink here.
First, "whether or not we will play well enough to make it in" or "do we deserve it" are a matter of opinion...but it is possible.

run the table 5-0...10-8 we're in regardless of BET.
4-1...9-9...with 1 win in BET certainly a plausible outcome.
L:  Creighton away - would figure...Creighton great at home.
W: STJ at home - very possible. Sure they could win...but I think MU favored.
W,W: Depaul, GT away - we should be favored. Sure either could beat us.
W: Creighton at home - Creighton may be favored but at home with a lot on the line. Very plausible we win.

W: Now we go into the BET playing the first day (being in the bottom 4...probable against Depaul...we would be favored
L: BET day two against Xavier or Nova...expect a loss.

so 9-9 BE, 19-13 overall. Lots of Q1 games and a decent number of wins. No bad losses. Winning down the stretch....yada, yada.

We have a good chance.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 10:19:45 AM »
Not gonna speculate about the possible Ws and Ls, that's been done enough, but would love to see a huge turnout for the Creighton game even with only one senior.  Last game ever at the BMO (assuming we would play any potential NIT games at the Al) the place should be rockin'

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
I actually think if we finish 9-9, we'd have a good shot at the 6 seed. We actually have a decent shot at the 6 seed at 8-10.

PC is projected to finish 1-5 (8-10), and have a pretty brutal stretch to finish.

vs. Villanova (L 80%)
@ Butler (L 82%)
vs. Seton Hall (L 51%)
@ Georgetown (L 54%)
vs. Xavier (L 84%)
vs. St. Johns (W 65%

Seton Hall is 6-6, and has @X, vs. Depaul, @PC, @SJU, vs. Nova, and vs. Butler.  They could easily finish 8-10 or 9-9, and we'd own the tie breaker.

6 seed would be nice because it avoids us either having to play SJU at the Garden, or Depaul (would be my guess for ultimate 10 seed) and a W there doesn't move the needle for us at all, and would tick down SOS a bit.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 10:33:45 AM »
I actually think if we finish 9-9, we'd have a good shot at the 6 seed. We actually have a decent shot at the 6 seed at 8-10.

PC is projected to finish 1-5 (8-10), and have a pretty brutal stretch to finish.

vs. Villanova (L 80%)
@ Butler (L 82%)
vs. Seton Hall (L 51%)
@ Georgetown (L 54%)
vs. Xavier (L 84%)
vs. St. Johns (W 65%

Seton Hall is 6-6, and has @X, vs. Depaul, @PC, @SJU, vs. Nova, and vs. Butler.  They could easily finish 8-10 or 9-9, and we'd own the tie breaker.

6 seed would be nice because it avoids us either having to play SJU at the Garden, or Depaul (would be my guess for ultimate 10 seed) and a W there doesn't move the needle for us at all, and would tick down SOS a bit.

We also would hold a 3 way tiebreaker over these 2 teams. So if all 3 teams do end up at 9-9, we'd be the 5 seed.

Obviously 10-8 would be great. But 9-9 and the 6 seed would be a pretty good deal. Like you said we'd avoid the first day against SJU or DePaul. We'd also get Creighton or Butler in the first round with a solid chance to pick up a good win before playing X or Nova while neither would be seen as a bad loss.

FWIW, Kenpom has MU finishing 8-10, SHU finishing 9-9 and PC finishing 9-9. Tying one of these teams is not out of the question. We would lose a tiebreaker with ONLY PC due to their win over X.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 10:39:21 AM »
I'm guessing you know I just hit the wrong key, but couldn't help[ yourself :(
We’ve lost enough recently, we don’t need anymore that we actually didn’t lose!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »

vs. Villanova (L 80%)
@ Butler (L 82%)
vs. Seton Hall (L 51%)
@ Georgetown (L 54%)
vs. Xavier (L 84%)
vs. St. Johns (W 65%

J5, don't you know Marquette basketball plays in a vacuum? It doesn't matter what other teams do! Marquette is only tournament worthy if we say they are tournament worthy dammit!
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 12:34:52 PM »
J5 and TAMU,

Your calculations might very well be true and MU does have a path into the tourney. I think many of us on here just feel their play does not justify a bid. I do not doubt there is a way in, but not sure that is a good thing for the overall landscape of college ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 12:47:24 PM »
J5 and TAMU,

Your calculations might very well be true and MU does have a path into the tourney. I think many of us on here just feel their play does not justify a bid. I do not doubt there is a way in, but not sure that is a good thing for the overall landscape of college ball.

Us making the tournament wouldn't be a bad thing for the landscape of college ball it would rather be a result of college ball's current landscape.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
J5 and TAMU,

Sure - you're welcome to feel like MU doesn't have what it takes to go 4-1 down the stretch or 3-2 plus a few in the BET. I get it. That's fine. I am not sure they do either, honestly, but I am going to root/hope like hell that they do, because that is what fandom is all about.

The numbers are the numbers, and there is still a pretty clear path to the tournament. Whether or not they do what is necessary to get there remains to be seen and can be debated until everyone is blue in the face.

As for the landscape of college hoops - ehhhh. Its like this every year.  The last 8-10 teams into the dance are going to very flawed.  There is a ton of parity in high major college hoops.  There are only a handful of really good teams, and even those teams can lose on any given night if they don't bring their A game. The reality is, the difference between a 5 seed and an 11 seed can easily come comes down to a handful of possession in an entire season.  The line is rather thin.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 12:56:23 PM »
Boxer

I included the current landscape of college ball in my comment. MU is not tourney worthy this year, regardless of how bad the overall college product is. IMO, they have not earned the right to play on this season, in any post season tournament.

J5

Huh? Where did I say they cannot go 4-1 or 3-2? As I said yesterday, they could run the table over next two week. Regardless, IMO they have not proven to be a NCAA caliber team to this point. Of course flawed teams get in every year and that is life. I think MU is an average to below average team at the moment, not flawed, just not very good.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 01:09:22 PM »
J5 and TAMU,

Many thought MU didn't deserve a bid on Al's last year. If we get in is because we deserve it no one is going to do us a favor. NCAA or NIT for this team would be great to get Theo, Elliott and Cain post season experience.
Goal is National Championship

Goose

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »
News

Comparing to the '77 team? Please try and make points that match the times, apples and oranges. In addition, while I think they have ZERO business in the NCAA this year, would love to see the young guys get their feet in tourney.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 01:29:15 PM »
Boxer

I included the current landscape of college ball in my comment. MU is not tourney worthy this year, regardless of how bad the overall college product is. IMO, they have not earned the right to play on this season, in any post season tournament.

J5

Huh? Where did I say they cannot go 4-1 or 3-2? As I said yesterday, they could run the table over next two week. Regardless, IMO they have not proven to be a NCAA caliber team to this point. Of course flawed teams get in every year and that is life. I think MU is an average to below average team at the moment, not flawed, just not very good.

So what do you suggest then? A team with a lesser resume go? Leave an empty slot because the landscape of college basketball isn't a bunch of 20 win teams?

Currently I agree with you, though if we finish 9-9 we have at least another big win against Creighton then and finished hot, the numbers say that we belong there and I'm not going to huff and say we shouldn't go because it's not up to MU standards of play.
Maigh Eo for Sam