'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: I place this all on the coaching staff.  (Read 39672 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: I place this all on the coaching staff.
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »
I think Wojo is still adjusting to coaching non McDonald's all Americans. At Duke you do not need to develop talent. You need to mold them into a team. At MU you need to develop talent, which is totally different.

You mean coaching...

My favorite Buzz quote was Fortune favors the bold (Fortuna audaces iuvat).  Time for Wojo to get at it and work. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
Amaker left Duke for Seton Hall. Then was fired at Michigan
Dawkins was fired from Stanford
Collins is at a program with zero expectations
Snyder was fired from Missouri (Coach K covered up Snyder’s drug abuse to help him get the job in the first place).

Not great comparisons there.

The examples were not meant to judge success in their roles, but to point out that they left Duke to go to major conference schools.  Seton Hall for Amaker is the Big East.  Most of these guys jumped right in at major conference schools except Brey and Caple, at least the ones that are most recent.  How they did in those roles was not the purpose of my remarks.   Northwestern doesn't have zero expectations, they hired Collins to make the NCAA tournament.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
If you look at most coaching trees, you will find a bunch of failure.  Most coaches don't leave on their own terms.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
Certainly, and my hope is that Wojo has the goods, rallies us into the NCAA Tournament this year, and has us competing for a conference title next year and thinking of the Final Four as a realistic goal in 2020 as we look at a strong, deep, balanced roster that can sustain itself for years to come.

If that doesn't happen, an incoming coach in 2019 could do worse than a team that would likely have two top-10 all-time scorers at Marquette (Howard and Hauser), a former 5-star recruit (I imagine Joey would at least stay with Sam for his sophomore year), and while there might be some transfers, a fairly deep roster.

We'd be attractive financially, are in an urban market, and would have a strong team for a new coach to start with. I think the job would be looked at favorably.

Cannot make this assumption.

If we can Wojo after next season, have to assume everyone leaves and we are 12 to 15 win team (under 500) in 2019/2020 and no postseason for two years.

I agree with sultan, bring in an old guy assistant that has a proven track record of coaching defense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »
I agree with sultan, bring in an old guy assistant that has a proven track record of coaching defense.

I never said that.

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2018, 09:37:39 PM »
When is the transfer rule expected to be voted on?

Could be real bad timing for us if we do part ways with wojo after next year (which I don’t expect).

augoman

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »
I never said that.
No, but you should have.  I've been hoping that Woj would reach out to Jerry Wainwright for help but don't think Jerry would take the gig.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2018, 12:37:33 AM »

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/rob_judson_1051322.html
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2018, 03:05:14 AM »
Cannot make this assumption.

If we can Wojo after next season, have to assume everyone leaves and we are 12 to 15 win team (under 500) in 2019/2020 and no postseason for two years.

As TAMU noted, we already did that this year. And I'd suspect seniors to be rarely transfer. The cupboard would be relatively full.

Regardless, my first hope is for Wojo to succeed. Best case scenario is he earns being here another 15-20 years and turns down Duke along the way. But if he goes, Dan Hurley is absolutely where we should start.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2018, 06:30:27 AM »
Regardless, my first hope is for Wojo to succeed. Best case scenario is he earns being here another 15-20 years and turns down Duke along the way.

Same here. I'm getting too old for yet another rebuild.

As much as the Jesuits and the O'Hara Hall crowd are in love with Wojo (and I believe they are), they also know the implications of a faltering basketball program. Lower revenue, lower enthusiasm nationally for Marquette and far less national notoriety.

For that reason, I think they ride with Wojo for another couple of years. If we reach the heights all of us hope by 2020, all of us who complain in here will look stupid. If we don't, we're all finding something else to keep us amused.

Reality: It would be insane to chase off Wojo now. As I already said, I'm nervous about next year given what has happened this year. But I'd be downright fatalistic if there was serious concern about Wojo on the hot seat.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
Same here. I'm getting too old for yet another rebuild.

As much as the Jesuits and the O'Hara Hall crowd are in love with Wojo (and I believe they are), they also know the implications of a faltering basketball program. Lower revenue, lower enthusiasm nationally for Marquette and far less national notoriety.

Speaking of rebuilds...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:53 AM »
Speaking of rebuilds...

LOL. I have no idea where those guys hang out now.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
Tugg

I am ok with any steps backward if it means taking program to next level. We have had five years, including Buzz’s last year, of being a non factor on the national scene.

I’m saying can Wojo, but keeping him out of fear is not the answer.

<sigh> how they turn after a few losses

PTM

As I have said for years, if I have dissatisfaction with the program it starts with the admin. I was fine with the Wojo hire and still not anti Wojo. I think the school gives off indication of wanting to be big time and we are far from big time.

I would stick with Wojo and see what happens next year. If he meets admin expectations he stays longer. Would love to see him succeed.

Wojo is not being hired away anytime soon, nor is he getting fired anytime soon. At this point, I would Wojo will be candidate for exactly zero jobs at the end of this season. Not a rip on him, just he is a work in progress.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »
The whole argument that we weren't hitting expectations last year is idiotic. We have 32 NCAA appearances, 16 of those are sweet 16s. A first round exit is on par with our overall program trend.

One of the next two NCAA appearances should be a sweet 16 or elite 8 and that'll still stay true to our trend. I don't understand everybody discounting last year like we should be ashamed somehow.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2018, 02:22:43 PM »
Waldo

I might be the most consistent person on here. I meant to say don’t can Wojo, but not because of a fear of going backwards. I would give him another year and see what happens.

Again, I would not can Wojo after this year.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2018, 07:53:02 AM »
Waldo

I might be the most consistent person on here. I meant to say don’t can Wojo, but not because of a fear of going backwards. I would give him another year and see what happens.

Again, I would not can Wojo after this year.
Yes it would be dumb with the guys coming in next year and Morrow available. Blowing it up without allowing the opportunity of seeing what they can accomplish. Not to make any excuses but not having Theo available is hurting, and since Sam got hurt his mid range jumper does not seem to go in as easy as before. I think Sam is probably still not 100%.
Goal is National Championship

Marquette2022

• Walk-On
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2018, 08:53:10 PM »
I do not understand why there are some of you who want wojo to get the boot. You do realize that if wojo were to be fired we would have to start the rebuild all over again. Recruits leave, players leave,etc. It would be 2014-15 all over again. I'm guessing nobody here wants to relive that nightmare. Firing wojo is a fantastically stupid idea.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2018, 08:29:15 AM »
I do not understand why there are some of you who want wojo to get the boot. You do realize that if wojo were to be fired we would have to start the rebuild all over again. Recruits leave, players leave,etc. It would be 2014-15 all over again. I'm guessing nobody here wants to relive that nightmare. Firing wojo is a fantastically stupid idea.

Rebuilds don't need to take 5 years. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2018, 09:59:29 AM »
A rebuild can be done very quickly these days. I would never not fire a coach over the fear of facing a rebuild. Simple decision, if coach can win consistently you keep him. If not, you fire him. Being afraid of what happens if you fire a coach is not a winning thought process.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
A rebuild can be done very quickly these days. I would never not fire a coach over the fear of facing a rebuild. Simple decision, if coach can win consistently you keep him. If not, you fire him. Being afraid of what happens if you fire a coach is not a winning thought process.
I guess I don't know exactly what a "winning thought process" is, but I think every AD should be concerned about firing a coach and not having a better option.  Kind of common sense right?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2018, 10:35:21 AM »
Lazar

I agree with having a plan in place that is a better option. Keeping a guy that you know is not right for the job is not a winning thought process. I am talking in general terms, not Wojo or MU. I would hope that any employer would try and replace an under performing employee with a better option. If not, there is a problem.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »
I hope we can pull this thread up next year at this time.  I suspect we will be solidly in the field and looking to have a good tournament.  If I am wrong, I'll be here changing my tune on Wojo.  This years team is very close, but we are missing two things.  A guard, who can guard  - to bad Cheatem and Duane are not here.  Either one of them, I feel, would be just enough to get us over the hump.  Second, we are missing a guy like Morrow.  So the Morrow box is checked for next year.

Froling is coming along nicely.  I really look at him as a Redshirt Freshman.  Even if we don't get that guard who can defend, I think the team next year will be better than this year.  We will miss Rowsey on offense when we really need it, but we are adding a lot.

Add a guard who can defend, preferably a combo or point guard, and next years team will finally be a team with all of the pieces.  That assumes no crucial defections this summer/fall.   

I still have great hope/expectations and I am not down on Wojo at all... I love the style of play on offense and having shooters is so much enjoyable to watch (I could hardly stand to watch some of the Buzz teams, and even some Crean teams). From the beginning, this was not expected to be a quick rebuild ala Buzz.  It was going to be a process, rebuild of the team and culture (from a basketball coach who saw himself and HIS team as separate from the University to a student athlete approach more inline with the administration, etc).  Really a major change in who gets recruited, etc.  Again, was going to be a process to establish a student athlete approach and that process is well underway and established.  Now it is time to build on the base that has been established.  We are in a good position to do so.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:41:41 AM by GOO »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
GOO

I agree it is a major change on the type of player/student recruited. Time will tell if that type of player/student is a good fit for a program that spends money to be a top tier program.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
I hope we can pull this thread up next year at this time.  I suspect we will be solidly in the field and looking to have a good tournament.  If I am wrong, I'll be here changing my tune on Wojo.  This years team is very close, but we are missing two things.  A guard, who can guard  - to bad Cheatem and Duane are not here.  Either one of them, I feel, would be just enough to get us over the hump.  Second, we are missing a guy like Morrow.  So the Morrow box is checked for next year.

Froling is coming along nicely.  I really look at him as a Redshirt Freshman.  Even if we don't get that guard who can defend, I think the team next year will be better than this year.  We will miss Rowsey on offense when we really need it, but we are adding a lot.

Add a guard who can defend, preferably a combo or point guard, and next years team will finally be a team with all of the pieces.  That assumes no crucial defections this summer/fall.   

I still have great hope/expectations and I am not down on Wojo at all... I love the style of play on offense and having shooters is so much enjoyable to watch (I could hardly stand to watch some of the Buzz teams, and even some Crean teams). From the beginning, this was not expected to be a quick rebuild ala Buzz.  It was going to be a process, rebuild of the team and culture (from a basketball coach who saw himself and HIS team as separate from the University to a student athlete approach more inline with the administration, etc).  Really a major change in who gets recruited, etc.  Again, was going to be a process to establish a student athlete approach and that process is well underway and established.  Now it is time to build on the base that has been established.  We are in a good position to do so.
This. Adding those few pieces, plus all freshman becoming sophomores will make two major changes to the overall performance.  First, the amount of games where we just don't have it/ play bad, will be fewer and further in between, although even experienced have bad games.  Second, the games where we come up just short, (X, Nova, PC) we will be able to pull out.  As bad as we've looked when we're off, we're still only half a dozen possessions away from 8-5.  I know things even out over time, but this year it seems like we've lost more close games than we've won, which was to be expected.  Most of the pieces are there, you just need all the pieces to have a great team. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »

Examples of a high D1 full rebuild with an outside coach, with a culture change, without jucos in less than 5 years with long-term success (as that's the goal in the long term - sustained success, not flash in the pan)?