[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Alright...here's some bright spots  (Read 1553 times)

GGGG

• All American
Alright...here's some bright spots
« on: February 03, 2018, 06:33:18 PM »
1. If Theo can grow like he has so far, he is going to be a bada$$ BE center.  That is exactly the type of post play that we have been missing for the last few years.  I think he has a higher ceiling of anybody at the post position.  (I see Harry more as a stretch 4)

2.  Greg Elliott is going to drive opponents crazy.  He'll be our "OMG, when is this guy graduating" player.  His block late in the game was awesome.  Absolutely fearless and extremely intelligent.

3.  Sam continues to show why he is the heartbeat of this team.  He is a very valuable player whose absence is obvious when he is off the floor.

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Alright...here's some bright spots
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 06:37:30 PM »
1. If Theo can grow like he has so far, he is going to be a bada$$ BE center.  That is exactly the type of post play that we have been missing for the last few years.  I think he has a higher ceiling of anybody at the post position.  (I see Harry more as a stretch 4)

2.  Greg Elliott is going to drive opponents crazy.  He'll be our "OMG, when is this guy graduating" player.  His block late in the game was awesome.  Absolutely fearless and extremely intelligent.

3.  Sam continues to show why he is the heartbeat of this team.  He is a very valuable player whose absence is obvious when he is off the floor.
Holy cow, I agree with Sultan here. Sam is a good all around player, just a bit slow, but great basketball IQ. Theo does have great potential, but must work on not fouling and developing a mid range shot. Elliot will be very good also...and so will Cain
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:39:55 PM »

Agreed. And I think Ed will bring more of what Theo brings and Joey will bring more of what Sam brings.

With Ed, Theo, and Greg I think we’ll be doing the pushing around rather than being the pushed going forward.

We desperately need somebody who can come in and command the offense at the point guard for next year. A college version of what Brogdon is for the Bucks would make MU an unreal team next season. A guy who can hit shots to the point of making defenders guard him but gets others involved and makes smart basketball decisions. Getting a player that can do that is my only concern going into next season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »
Holy cow, I agree with Sultan here. Sam is a good all around player, just a bit slow, but great basketball IQ. Theo does have great potential, but must work on not fouling and developing a mid range shot. Elliot will be very good also...and so will Cain

Agreed willie.  Cain oftentimes plays like a freshman though and get's lost.  Elliott rarely plays like a freshman, although he looks like a middle schooler.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 07:06:27 PM »
I'm just as pissed as the next person about the past month of MU basketball. But, I still hold out hope for next season.

1. Part of our defensive problem is lack of size and quickness - I think a year of maturity for Theo (at the 5) the addition of Morrow( at the 4) and a grad transfer point guard with some size could fix that.
2. Offensively we bring back everyone but Rowsey, and add Mororow and Joey
3. The team get older!
4. Lots of team in the Big East graduate talent.

If Wojo can't get the following starting 5 to compete, then I hope marquette looks from someone else:
Grad Transfer (1)
Howard (2)
Sam (3)
Morrow (4)
Theo(5)

Bring Joey, Froling, Cain, Elliot off the bench!!

connie

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 07:10:58 PM »
I agree with Sultan and Willie.

(Has that ever been said before?)
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 07:17:56 PM »
Bright spot :  Markus not going to be part of NBA draft.  Can use the year for ball handling skills. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »
I agree with Sultan and Willie.

(Has that ever been said before?)

Add me to the list

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:21:46 PM »

The offense suffers when Sam is not on the court as we saw in the first half when he was out with 2 fouls.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »
Bright spot :  Markus not going to be part of NBA draft.  Can use the year for ball handling skills.
Bright spot: With Wojo's performance, Duke will not be calling anytime soon, except for the 3rd spot on bench next to K.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 08:10:43 AM »
Our defense was actually pretty good yesterday. I thought John and Elliott were both good on that end, creating turnovers and altering shots with their length. If we don't go 8:07 without a made field goal in the middle of the second half, we would've won that game, and our defense would've been the primary reason. Even a below average offensive performance would've been enough to win it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 10:03:05 AM »
Add me to the list of people who agree with Sultan and Willie.

😮

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
I would like to see the offense run through Sam or the high post when Froling gets mins.  It will eventually open up cuts or three point oppty’s.

If John plays like he did yesterday consistently, it is going to be hard to take him off the floor.  His defensive fundamentals look really good for a frosh. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »
Theo has clearly developed.    Greg is clearly getting better (for those who say Wojo doesn't develop players).     With Rowsey (or Howard) off the floor, you can clearly see the defense pick up.    Rotations are crisper, defenders stay in front of their man better.    Sometimes, Cain and Elliot are just going to get physically overmatched.   Sacar is getting comfortable in his role.     

If you view this as a young team that is trying to develop for next year and anything this year is a bonus, there are clearly things to build on.     The losses are frustrating. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback