[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FBI Probe into College Basketball  (Read 13768 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: FBI Probe into College Basketball
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »
you’re assuming he was given $14k and told to have fun and do whatever as long as you call me when you’re ready to go pro.

So let me quote that famous philosopher jesmu84 back at you ...

You [also] seem to be implying you've connected dots. Dots that may or may not be there

My position that the money came with stipulations, like attending Maryland, is less of a stretch than yours That it came with no stipulations.

I don't know if you even read my posts..

I literally said I don't have the answer. I was putting forth another possible scenario. As an example of why your scenario is not the only possible one.

And, my hypothetical position absolutely came with stipulations.

You're not very good at reading. Or not good at comprehending. Or are willfully misrepresenting what I said to strengthen your position. Not sure which...

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2018, 09:37:54 AM »
Arizona should do their investigation, pull themselves out of the tournament and fire Miller for cause.

Miller is a shrewd cat, his contract calls for him to get most of his salary even if he gets fired for cause.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
Geez I long for the old days when the Big 10 gave kids Ford Bronco's and smaller schools gave Camaro's and others gave shoes and t-shirts.  That was simple, easy, clear.  I give you a car, you come play for me.  Now there are so many parties involved with shoe companies and pro agents and fixers and ...

Crazy.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2018, 10:36:26 AM »
I think Blue Chips is a lock to win best documentary film at the Oscars tomorrow.
You are winning this thread, (although the Ocsars are on 3/4).

I think the bigger story to all of this is, what’s the FBI’s end game? Is this ultimately a take down of the amateurism charade?
No Finish Line

connie

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
Miller is a shrewd cat, his contract calls for him to get most of his salary even if he gets fired for cause.
Will probably still face some type of fraud argument, but if that's true, you really have to wonder what Arizona knew they were getting into, and didn't care.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2018, 10:43:47 AM »
Lawyers will get most of it
Goal is National Championship

WhiteTrash

• All American
Is this really so complicated?
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but what is so complicated about this college basketball fiasco? I understand fans of the schools that have been implicated are going to throw out wild defenses and take the conversation in completely different directions. And we all knew Bilas was going to blame the NCAA and not the coaches once Duke and other ACC schools where involved. But I've read and heard some others in the past day or so spin this in some really strange ways. To me it it comes down to two basic facts:

1) The FBI and federal prosecutors are involved because federal crimes have been committed. Whether you like it or not that they are involved or that you don't like the laws of the United States is irrelevant right now. This is very serious stuff and people will be paying fines, going on probation or going to jail. The debate of if people like the FBI and DoJ doing the job they are asked to do can be had later, but let's not disparage agencies for enforcing the laws of the United States. Also, make no mistake, DoJ's conviction rate is over 90%, so they don't do these sort of investigations/prosecutions for practice.

2) The FBI's investigation has reveled NCAA violations. The schools, coaches and players must face the penalties for the violations. They knew the rules and willfully violated them. Many in the media are trying to be smart and clever now and are calling out the NCAA rules as 'out dated' or that 'this is going on all over college basketball' and the NCAA is to blame for this problem. I think there should be a good, thoughtful review of NCAA rules, but that does not change the fact that Arizona, Texas, MSU, USC, etc. and said coaches and players knowingly broke the rules to gain an advantage over the other member institutions and they must be penalized. Will their actions be deemed violations five years from now? I have no idea, but it does not matter in 2018.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2018, 11:01:06 AM »
But seriously the economics involved is making a mockery of the quest for amateurism. Time to evolve.

A fair solution that I think would be supported by most sides is to call athletics "works study" and treat them as they would any other on campus work-study worker.  Same pay, same 20-hour a week cap.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Is this really so complicated?
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2018, 11:08:52 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but what is so complicated about this college basketball fiasco? I understand fans of the schools that have been implicated are going to throw out wild defenses and take the conversation in completely different directions. And we all knew Bilas was going to blame the NCAA and not the coaches once Duke and other ACC schools where involved. But I've read and heard some others in the past day or so spin this in some really strange ways. To me it it comes down to two basic facts:

1) The FBI and federal prosecutors are involved because federal crimes have been committed. Whether you like it or not that they are involved or that you don't like the laws of the United States is irrelevant right now. This is very serious stuff and people will be paying fines, going on probation or going to jail. The debate of if people like the FBI and DoJ doing the job they are asked to do can be had later, but let's not disparage agencies for enforcing the laws of the United States. Also, make no mistake, DoJ's conviction rate is over 90%, so they don't do these sort of investigations/prosecutions for practice.

2) The FBI's investigation has reveled NCAA violations. The schools, coaches and players must face the penalties for the violations. They knew the rules and willfully violated them. Many in the media are trying to be smart and clever now and are calling out the NCAA rules as 'out dated' or that 'this is going on all over college basketball' and the NCAA is to blame for this problem. I think there should be a good, thoughtful review of NCAA rules, but that does not change the fact that Arizona, Texas, MSU, USC, etc. and said coaches and players knowingly broke the rules to gain an advantage over the other member institutions and they must be penalized. Will their actions be deemed violations five years from now? I have no idea, but it does not matter in 2018.

I don't think it's quite so complicated.

But I like this post

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2018, 11:18:28 AM »
Good thing a third thread was started for the topic, hey?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »
Agreed on all of it. It involves a billion dollar organization (NCAA) and a number of multi million dollar organizations (shoe companies). When that kind of money is involved and there is bribery going on, the FBI is going to rightfully be involved.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2018, 12:06:47 PM »
You are winning this thread, (although the Ocsars are on 3/4).

I think the bigger story to all of this is, what’s the FBI’s end game? Is this ultimately a take down of the amateurism charade?

Ahh, you're right. I messed up that date.

feedback