[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: American heroes  (Read 24109 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: American heroes
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2018, 12:23:26 PM »
I actually think reporting is more objective than ever.

Columnists/talking heads, editorial boards and owners of newspapers/broadcast stations are not reporters.

Excellent points.

The problem is that most people - including many, many here - have no concept of the difference between a newspaper's editorial/opinion page and its news reporting.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2018, 09:09:43 PM »
Is this the thread where i nominate Emma Gonzalez, and other survivors, as American Heroes for passionately and eloquently standing up?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
Is this the thread where i nominate Emma Gonzalez, and other survivors, as American Heroes for passionately and eloquently standing up?

Sure!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »

Seconded.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2018, 10:34:36 PM »
Query:  How come high school kids easily grasp the concept of " Follow Up Questions" but most journalists don't?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2018, 11:24:21 PM »
Query:  How come high school kids easily grasp the concept of " Follow Up Questions" but most journalists don't?

TV talking heads can't be tough or else politicians won't appear on your show. If you can't get politicians to appear on your show, you will be demoted or fired. If you're demoted or fired, your career enters a downward spiral. Downward spirals are not conducive to keeping a steady paycheck. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2018, 11:20:53 AM »
TV talking heads can't be tough or else politicians won't appear on your show. If you can't get politicians to appear on your show, you will be demoted or fired. If you're demoted or fired, your career enters a downward spiral. Downward spirals are not conducive to keeping a steady paycheck.

True, but the same problem applies to other contexts- Debates, white house reporters questioning the press secretary, etc. The infamous Matt Lauer didn't have any problem asking HRC four straight questions about her emails.  Which is probably why Matt never got around to asking anyone how they felt about gun control or sexual harassment.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »

That's why I got DirecTV.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2018, 11:34:43 AM »

...and Colton Haab as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2018, 11:47:19 AM »

...and Colton Haab as well.

Lying makes you a hero?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2018, 12:02:02 PM »

Lying makes you a hero?

Why do you have to attack people and make it personal, he saved his classmates by shielding them with kevlar.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:17:13 PM by muwarrior69 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2018, 01:12:27 PM »
Why do you have to attack people and make it personal, he saved his classmates by shielding them with kevlar.

So if he lies afterwards that's OK?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »

So if he lies afterwards that's OK?

What are you talking about?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2018, 02:32:40 PM »
What are you talking about?

Google him.

Stated the town hall with Rubio was all scripted by CNN and he declined to participate because of it.

CNN has denied this.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2018, 02:53:43 PM »
Google him.

Stated the town hall with Rubio was all scripted by CNN and he declined to participate because of it.

CNN has denied this.

He claimed one thing, CNN disputes what he claimed. I saw no article claiming he said the CNN townhall was all scripted. So why call him a liar?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2018, 03:09:50 PM »
He claimed one thing, CNN disputes what he claimed. I saw no article claiming he said the CNN townhall was all scripted. So why call him a liar?

Because he's lying. Duh.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

https://www.snopes.com/did-cnn-give-shooting-survivor-questions/

I did not call him anything

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2018, 07:29:49 PM »
Google him.

CNN has denied this.

so you expected cnn to own up to their shenanigans? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »
Not at all and we'll probably never know if it stays in a "he said, they said" situation. 

However, when i look at a situation like this i ask myself: is it more likely that this was a scripted event and only one participant is saying it was scripted while the others remain silent given their propensity for being extremely vocal in the past 10ish days.....or is it more likely that the one participant may have misinterpreted or overreacted to some communication?

Either scenario is possible but one is far more probable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2018, 08:15:58 PM »
I am going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and say he misunderstood what happened.

This is not what this thread is about, though.

CNN occasionally does some good work, and when they make mistakes, they often own up to them, but they are not in the same league as the NYT, WSJ, WaPo and our other great newspapers when it comes to great journalism.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2018, 09:58:12 PM »
He was probably a crisis actor, right?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2018, 05:10:19 AM »

You see, the problem here is your mind is made up.  The guy you claim is from, 'the other side' is being open minded and waiting for the facts to come out before making a black and white decision.

This is what will get you berated here.  Not your view, but that you won't wait for the whole story to come out... because you want one side to be true.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2018, 11:23:34 AM »
Here's some outstanding innovation by the Wall Street Journal to promote readership and revenues:

http://www.niemanlab.org/2018/02/after-years-of-testing-the-wall-street-journal-has-built-a-paywall-that-bends-to-the-individual-reader/

I've been mostly impressed with the WSJ's political reporting the last couple of years. It's a valuable publication, and we need it in our society.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »
You see, the problem here is your mind is made up.  The guy you claim is from, 'the other side' is being open minded and waiting for the facts to come out before making a black and white decision.

This is what will get you berated here.  Not your view, but that you won't wait for the whole story to come out... because you want one side to be true.

wait...where did i say my mind is made up?  my point is, if sultan is going to call the dude a liar, which sounds like someone's mind is made up when i'll i'm saying is, is cnn going to own up to any "journalistic standards"?  no asked sully for proof or blasted him-open minded? 

ya see hards, you are assuming my mind is made up-wrong!  i'm still listening to all the scenarios.  if the kid did in fact lie-shame on him.  if cnn is steering the topic toward their agenda?  well, surprise surprise eyn'er?

so i'm going to get berated for...what?  sounds like you've already made up your mind for you and your boys to kick my arse and you are no harbinger of open mindedness.  can't you at least try to fake it first before "berating" fellow scooper.  i thought you guys were "tolerant" to other thoughts-"co-exist" right?
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2018, 11:40:34 AM »
wait...where did i say my mind is made up?  my point is, if sultan is going to call the dude a liar, which sounds like someone's mind is made up when i'll i'm saying is, is cnn going to own up to any "journalistic standards"?  no asked sully for proof or blasted him-open minded? 

ya see hards, you are assuming my mind is made up-wrong!  i'm still listening to all the scenarios.  if the kid did in fact lie-shame on him.  if cnn is steering the topic toward their agenda?  well, surprise surprise eyn'er?

so i'm going to get berated for...what?  sounds like you've already made up your mind for you and your boys to kick my arse and you are no harbinger of open mindedness.  can't you at least try to fake it first before "berating" fellow scooper.  i thought you guys were "tolerant" to other thoughts-"co-exist" right?

Listen snowflake, stop playing the victim all the time. 

Haab is lying.  Want me to provide proof?  I don't have any.  Is that not good enough for you or anyone else?  I don't care.  You won't see me whining.

But he is lying.

feedback