[Today at 12:19:06 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by swoopem
[Today at 11:59:16 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: American heroes  (Read 24230 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: American heroes
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 05:51:37 PM »
    " On Jaunary 25, 2005, Tim Blair and Marquette92 formed a “blog” on Marquette basketball. It quickly became a must-read website for Warrior fans, with articles on recruits, pre- and post-game analysis, statistical analysis, clips of articles around the web, and other original content. Since its inception ..."

You found the description for Cracked Sidewalks, which is indeed a blog.  Scoop is a message board.

Call me a bully all you want, but when dumb and inaccurate information is posted here, it's going to get called out. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 05:57:25 PM »
The NY Times and Washington Post have zero journalist standards anymore. They are not worthy of first amendment protection as they are just purveyors of slander and libel and pure hypocrites of the highest order. The New York Times in particular hides behind a dual class voting structure that entrenches their founding family. It is sheer financial apartheid.

I prefer the NY Post. They are the last bastion of journalism.  Don't judge a book by its cover.

Do you realize how insane it is to accuse the NYT and WaPo of libel when exactly zero people have filed suit?

Clearly trolling, or willfully ignorant.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 05:58:03 PM »

You found the description for Cracked Sidewalks, which is indeed a blog.  Scoop is a message board.

Call me a bully all you want, but when dumb and inaccurate information is posted here, it's going to get called out.

The problem is that the old codger doesn't know the difference.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 06:56:22 PM »

I prefer the NY Post. They are the last bastion of journalism.  Don't judge a book by its cover.

For you Post fans, here are February covers.
https://nypost.com/covers/

Think anyone in the FBI has a bias against mob bosses? Would that be a ground for allowing a mob boss to vacate a criminal conviction?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 07:57:23 PM »
  "Journalists are helping to hold this country together."

oh my goodness...some may actually believe this, but that's ok

So you prefer that journalists didn't expose Nassar, the Catholic priests, the Flint water situation, guards getting killed in understaffed prisons, etc, etc, etc?

How do you think the public would have learned of that stuff? By osmosis? How do you think change would have happened? By the good of those people/organizations' hearts?

You don't think it's important that journalists hold powerful elected officials' feet to the fire? Even when I don't agree with the journalists, I sure as hell do. Please suggest a better system. Pravda, maybe?

And again, MSNBC, Fox News and CNN employ very few journalists. They are in the entertainment business, the sales business.

Thank goodness for the NYT, WSJ, WaPo and other legitimate media outlets.

Why do you think Comrade Stable Genius is trying to silence them?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 10:10:37 PM »

Thank goodness for the NYT, WSJ, WaPo and other legitimate media outlets.

Why do you think Comrade Stable Genius is trying to silence them?

If Trump is trying to silence the New York Times, he's making a big mistake.

“For the last 12 months, the D.C. press, led by The New York Times, has been obsessed with humanizing, celebrating, normalizing Trump voters,” Boehlert said. “They’ve gotten so far to the right now they’re trying to normalize Nazis.”

https://shareblue.com/you-end-up-glorifying-nazis-shareblue-writer-nails-the-new-york-times/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 10:56:48 PM »
If Trump is trying to silence the New York Times, he's making a big mistake.

“For the last 12 months, the D.C. press, led by The New York Times, has been obsessed with humanizing, celebrating, normalizing Trump voters,” Boehlert said. “They’ve gotten so far to the right now they’re trying to normalize Nazis.”

https://shareblue.com/you-end-up-glorifying-nazis-shareblue-writer-nails-the-new-york-times/

Ridiculous.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »

i was using the term "blog" in general terms, but interesting how you patrol these BOARDS to keep everyone on the up-what would we ever do without you?  dumb question though, eynn'a?

and 82-you always seem to pick a topic that takes us oh so close to the "forbidden fruit" just hoping for someone to take that bite-you dog you
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 11:18:39 PM »
Ridiculous.

Eloquently put Robespierre. Guess a lot of folks share this "ridiculous" opinion:

https://newrepublic.com/article/146828/lefts-war-new-york-times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHpxDp467w&feature=youtu.be

Markos Moulitsas
✔@markos
Beats me why anyone would have a NYT subscription at this point. If you do, you are funding the Right's propaganda efforts.

http://www.thegreatconsolidation.com/2017/05/has-nyt-forfeited-its-place-as-paper-of.html

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/11/in-the-wake-of-donald.html

Lot more where that came from.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 11:30:48 PM »
Eloquently put Robespierre. Guess a lot of folks share this "ridiculous" opinion:

https://newrepublic.com/article/146828/lefts-war-new-york-times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHpxDp467w&feature=youtu.be

Markos Moulitsas
✔@markos
Beats me why anyone would have a NYT subscription at this point. If you do, you are funding the Right's propaganda efforts.

http://www.thegreatconsolidation.com/2017/05/has-nyt-forfeited-its-place-as-paper-of.html

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/11/in-the-wake-of-donald.html

Lot more where that came from.

Okey dokey, then. You sure proved sumpin.

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2018, 12:00:26 AM »
Okey dokey, then. You sure proved sumpin.

Usually happens when one can provide evidence in support of one's opinion. Doesn't happen to much around here. Read the New Republic Article, its a good one.

Here's another one from LGM:

http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2017/12/gross-malpractice-mainstream-media-much-bigger-problem-fake-news-2016
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:19:27 AM by Mutaman »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2018, 06:01:34 AM »
i was using the term "blog" in general terms, but interesting how you patrol these BOARDS to keep everyone on the up-what would we ever do without you?  dumb question though, eynn'a?

Yeah it’s a ver dumb question. Scoop would be just fine.

And you were simply wrong. And the evidence you supplied was inaccurate. But keep trying to defend your error. It’s amusing.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2018, 06:45:58 AM »
#facepalm

In before the lock.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 09:53:25 AM »
#facepalm

In before the lock.

Fully agree chili-what we are experiencing is a hijacking of a MESSAGE BOARD(with sully’s blessing of course)by a select few and the herd mentality follow-up. Those who have differing opinions beware

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2018, 10:29:33 AM »
Fully agree chili-what we are experiencing is a hijacking of a MESSAGE BOARD(with sully’s blessing of course)by a select few and the herd mentality follow-up. Those who have differing opinions beware

Good job!!!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
Wrong.

I guess you didn't hear about journalists breaking open the Nassar case and the many other situations cited here and elsewhere. Or you simply chose not to.

Journalists are helping to hold this country together. They have dedicated their whole lives to informing the American public.

I agree with much of this.  The problem I see though is journalists are under constant attack, and I don't just mean government, I mean bloggers.

There is a misconception that anyone that posts something on the internet or even a "news" site is automatically a journalist.  We have a rising tide of idiots and self-proclaimed "experts" posting news and information that is neither factual, researched or remotely accurate.  The Food Babes, Milo, etc., that peddle crap for a product. 

Much of some news sites are now merely opinion pieces with little to no research, or blatantly non-factual with infinite spin.  These news sites are purely profit driven (give the audience what they want) instead of fact driven.  It is easy to find these as their audience consists only of their "base".

All that is putting journalism in danger.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »

Defend your opinion instead of crying in the streets.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
I agree with much of this.  The problem I see though is journalists are under constant attack, and I don't just mean government, I mean bloggers.

There is a misconception that anyone that posts something on the internet or even a "news" site is automatically a journalist.  We have a rising tide of idiots and self-proclaimed "experts" posting news and information that is neither factual, researched or remotely accurate.  The Food Babes, Milo, etc., that peddle crap for a product. 

Much of some news sites are now merely opinion pieces with little to no research, or blatantly non-factual with infinite spin.  These news sites are purely profit driven (give the audience what they want) instead of fact driven.  It is easy to find these as their audience consists only of their "base".

100%.  I like to call it the Tomi Lahren effect.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2018, 01:24:44 PM »

About this, we agree.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »
Defend your opinion instead of crying in the streets.

exhibit A

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 03:45:27 PM »

very well stated-thanks for the clarification  i'd give it 3 thumbs up, but  8-) 8-) 8-) is the best scoop has to offer

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2018, 03:54:53 PM »
One of the most enlightening and important things I learned at Marquette was critical thinking.  It wasn't any particular class, it was that I had a group of friends that could sniff out stupid from a mile away and would challenge that stupidity.   If you were going to come with a hot opinion you'd better be prepared with facts, and be prepared to defend your point. It made you really examine your ideas, and determine if they are correct and worth defending, or if you need to change your view because you've learned something new.

Differing opinions are fine.  But if you are going to repeat things you heard in the echo chamber you better be prepared for other people to challenge those opinions and kick the crap out of illogical, false, or stupid narratives.  When people disagree with your statements, instead of defending them (or, god forbid, learning something new) you whine and act like you're being persecuted. 

If you don't want people to disagree with you you can go the boards of those news sources of yours and never hear anything that will upset your little boat.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2018, 06:00:22 PM »
exhibit A

But its what you do.  You get challenged on something you opine on, and instead of defending your argument you cry about how there are too many damn liberals on this board pushing their agenda.

Its childish, didn't your Marquette education teach you anything?

feedback