[April 23, 2024, 11:48:37 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Lennys Tap
[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tough break for Creighton  (Read 8078 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Tough break for Creighton
« on: January 18, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Tough break for Creighton
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 01:51:16 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »
That's too bad.  The kid has been really good this year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 02:01:30 PM »
Hate to see that happen.  Occurs almost every season with some team.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:51 PM »
Recurring trend right before we play them

Sure helped punch our ticket to last year's dance. Sucks for the kid but it's a theme I won't complain about.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 02:03:52 PM »
Sure helped punch our ticket to last year's dance. Sucks for the kid but it's a theme I won't complain about.

Exactly this..sucks for the kid but if it helps MU..
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »
Saw it happen.  It looked like he banged knees with someone from SHU and no worse...but then he went straight to the locker room, unaccompanied, presumably because of that unmistakable, gut wrenching pop.  Sucks. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »
Saw it happen.  It looked like he banged knees with someone from SHU and no worse...but then he went straight to the locker room, unaccompanied, presumably because of that unmistakable, gut wrenching pop.  Sucks.
Speaking from experience, it is more of a horrifying burning sensation.  The pop is usually when you've torn cartilage, which I've also done.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 02:16:41 PM »
I've blown both ACLs.  No burn...but I knew.  Whatever it was with Krampelj, I'd say he knew right away.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 02:22:59 PM »
Exactly this..sucks for the kid but if it helps MU..
yeah...no

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »
I never cheer for opponent's injuries.  Plus, now when Marquette beats them, dimfair will say Creighton sucks and we didn't beat them at full strength.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
Hopefully he can recover in time for next season. Hate to see any player go down.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
Whats the timetable for his injury?

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 02:36:51 PM »
I never cheer for opponent's injuries.  Plus, now when Marquette beats them, dimfair will say Creighton sucks and we didn't beat them at full strength.
Maybe so, but it's still two Ws.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 02:38:49 PM »
Looked to me like one of those "untouched" kind of injuries. Just came down and was immediately limping a bit. Never seems to be a good sign.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 02:52:57 PM »
Whats the timetable for his injury?

He tore his ACL.  He's done for the season.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 02:55:05 PM »
That sucks.  Let's hope for a full recovery.  Kid is a damn good player.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 03:08:58 PM »
He landed on some one else's foot which is usually just rolling your ankle but when he went to the locker room immediately I knew it wasn't a turned ankle. Tough luck for him hope he recovers for next year.

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »
Two years in a row Creighton has lost its most irreplaceable player.

Other guys might score at a higher clip than Krampelj, but he makes their offense lethal with his versatility and what he opens up.

Damn shame -- CU would've been dangerous in the NCAA tournament.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »
Feel for the kid. He was having an All-Conference type season for Creighton and came out of nowhere. Averaged 5.9 minutes a game last season. Hope he recovers quickly.

This leaves Creighton with a big size problem. They now only have one forward and one center on the active roster. Toby Hegner is tall but is not a post presence. He's a stretch four that has only grabbed 2.7 rebounds a game to date. Manny Suarez is a little bigger but a year ago was playing Division 2 ball. He's been the very last guy in their rotation and hasn't gotten into every game. Since conference play began, he's had three DNPs and four games with 5 minutes or less. All four games were blowouts and he only got garbage minutes at the end.

Gotta think they will end up going small in their starting 5 with 6"7 200 lb Ronnie Harrell lining up at the four and Hegner at the five. Give Suarez a few minutes or go ultra small with a four guard lineup  when Harrell or Hegner need a breather. Their next biggest player after Harrell is 6"5 205 lb freshman Mitch Ballock. They do have Jacob Epperson on redshirt at the moment. I don't think they burn his redshirt at this point but maybe they will be desperate enough.

Never cheer for an opponent's injury, but this does turn the home game against Creighton from a toss up to one where we are favored. It also makes the away contest winnable.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 03:22:36 PM »
Epperson apparently injured his knee in practice recently so pulling his redshirt is not an option.

Also didn't realize that this was Krampelj's second ACL tear. He tore the other one his freshman season.
TAMU

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »
Hopefully he can recover in time for next season. Hate to see any player go down.

as long as maurice watson ain't in charge of his rehab, eyn'a?

dude deserves a speedy and successful recovery!
don't...don't don't don't don't

nyg

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »
Feel for the kid. He was having an All-Conference type season for Creighton and came out of nowhere. Averaged 5.9 minutes a game last season. Hope he recovers quickly.

This leaves Creighton with a big size problem. They now only have one forward and one center on the active roster. Toby Hegner is tall but is not a post presence. He's a stretch four that has only grabbed 2.7 rebounds a game to date. Manny Suarez is a little bigger but a year ago was playing Division 2 ball. He's been the very last guy in their rotation and hasn't gotten into every game. Since conference play began, he's had three DNPs and four games with 5 minutes or less. All four games were blowouts and he only got garbage minutes at the end.

Gotta think they will end up going small in their starting 5 with 6"7 200 lb Ronnie Harrell lining up at the four and Hegner at the five. Give Suarez a few minutes or go ultra small with a four guard lineup  when Harrell or Hegner need a breather. Their next biggest player after Harrell is 6"5 205 lb freshman Mitch Ballock. They do have Jacob Epperson on redshirt at the moment. I don't think they burn his redshirt at this point but maybe they will be desperate enough.

Never cheer for an opponent's injury, but this does turn the home game against Creighton from a toss up to one where we are favored. It also makes the away contest winnable.

I believed that Creighton was MU's worst matchup, with Howard and Rowsey going against 6ft3's Thomas and Foster.  UGH..

But Creighton will have to re-group bit, with Thomas, Foster, Harrell, Ballock and Hegner.  Mintz is in mix, but if any of them get in foul trouble, their bench is very short now.  Krampelj was averaging 12/8 and will be surely missed.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »
That's really too bad. Dominic James' injury in 2008 still haunts me as a fan (oh, what could have been!). Hate to see it happen to other teams. Except the Philadelphia Eagles. Screw those guys. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 07:17:36 PM »
Their guards are still damn good.  I wouldn't chalk up the W's, especially the one at Creighton, just yet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
They didn't look great against Providence.    Hard to tell if Providence has righted the ship at home or whether this is the new normal for Creighton.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »
They didn't look great against Providence.    Hard to tell if Providence has righted the ship at home or whether this is the new normal for Creighton.   
Providence is 5-2 in the Big East. So I am not sure there was much wrong with their ship. The injury will hurt Creighton for sure, but they also still have a lot of very good players, a very good coach and a big home court advantage.
            ---Al McGuire

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 06:08:09 PM »
Providence has had a relatively easy schedule so far.

They still face Villanova twice and X on the road.  Plus they play SHU twice and have to travel to MU and Butler.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 06:30:37 PM »
Providence is 5-2 in the Big East. So I am not sure there was much wrong with their ship. The injury will hurt Creighton for sure, but they also still have a lot of very good players, a very good coach and a big home court advantage.

Oh there was. They have had a series of injuries to key players. Holt, White, Cartwright, and Diallo plus illnesses for Bullock and Lindsey that resulted in some losses that I don't think would have happened otherwise. UMass, Houston, and arguably us are all in that category. Also the OT win over Brown, 1 point win against Belmont, 4 point win against Rider, and 2 point win against Stony Brook (all at home) were bad looks. Now that all of those players are back (except Holt) they should start playing like the top 4 team in conference they were expected to be.

Plus without Krampelj I think Creighton becomes a bubble team.
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »

Creighton already has 5 BE wins.  Games remaining against St. John's, Georgetown, and DePaul x2.  Four more wins gives them an RPI Wizard profile of:

19-11  RPI 51 SOS 49

That's probably enough to make it.  In fact, I'd be stunned if that got them left out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 09:24:50 PM »

Yeah ... reminds me of when the Philly Eagles lost the QB who was probably gonna be NFL MVP this season. They pretty much had no chance after that.

I absolutely would assume we'll beat Creighton twice now because we're pretty much the best team in college basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 10:19:06 PM »
Yeah ... reminds me of when the Philly Eagles lost the QB who was probably gonna be NFL MVP this season. They pretty much had no chance after that.

I absolutely would assume we'll beat Creighton twice now because we're pretty much the best team in college basketball.
Mark us up as national champs

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 10:19:56 PM »
Oh there was. They have had a series of injuries to key players. Holt, White, Cartwright, and Diallo plus illnesses for Bullock and Lindsey that resulted in some losses that I don't think would have happened otherwise. UMass, Houston, and arguably us are all in that category. Also the OT win over Brown, 1 point win against Belmont, 4 point win against Rider, and 2 point win against Stony Brook (all at home) were bad looks. Now that all of those players are back (except Holt) they should start playing like the top 4 team in conference they were expected to be.

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-basketball/providence-loss-exposes-creighton-s-deficiencies-without-martin-krampelj/article_39abab3c-fe2d-11e7-92eb-936ac2c12b8a.html
            ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 10:45:20 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 11:24:08 PM »
Creighton already has 5 BE wins.  Games remaining against St. John's, Georgetown, and DePaul x2.  Four more wins gives them an RPI Wizard profile of:

19-11  RPI 51 SOS 49

That's probably enough to make it.  In fact, I'd be stunned if that got them left out.

I didn't mean it as they literally will be a bubble team. Committee will take their previous work into account. I meant how good Creighton actually is without Krampelj. With him, they are a top 25 team. Without him, I think they will be more like top 40 to top 50.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 10:34:58 AM »
Is there still enough time to get Froling's little bro enrolled this semester?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »

19-11  RPI 51 SOS 49

We have a game midweek game against Bemidji state so there is win #20. I think we flirt with 8/9 and hopefully stay out of Dayton.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »
What is the BSU game all about?
Stan coached there awhile back.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »
We have a game midweek game against Bemidji state so there is win #20. I think we flirt with 8/9 and hopefully stay out of Dayton.

Non D1 games don't count towards your record.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »
Non D1 games don't count towards your record.

Oh, they count!  Especially if you lose.  Just not for RPI (or computer ranking) purposes.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 06:26:19 PM »
What is the BSU game all about?
Stan coached there awhile back.
Scheduled a game during our bye week to keep fresh.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 06:37:33 PM »
Oh, they count!  Especially if you lose.  Just not for RPI (or computer ranking) purposes.

In other words, they don’t count towards your tournament resume.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 07:16:01 PM »
In other words, they don’t count towards your tournament resume.

Again...wrong.  They count a lot if you lose.  Very little if you win.  Regardless of computer numbers.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »
Again...wrong.  They count a lot if you lose.  Very little if you win.  Regardless of computer numbers.

Technically, they shouldn't. They won't be on the team sheets that the Selection Committee has in the room. As effectively exhibition games, they shouldn't have any more bearing than say our game with Lindenwood did.

The committee members are human and can consider whatever they like, but any non-Division I games don't need to be factored in.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »
Technically, they shouldn't. They won't be on the team sheets that the Selection Committee has in the room. As effectively exhibition games, they shouldn't have any more bearing than say our game with Lindenwood did.

The committee members are human and can consider whatever they like, but any non-Division I games don't need to be factored in.
I've heard that secret scrimmages can affect seeding
Goal is National Championship

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 07:57:16 PM »

Ummm...see the lowermost blue box.

https://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2017/12/04/team-sheet-guide-12-4.png

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
Ummm...see the lowermost blue box.

Nice catch. I didn't think they ever factored those games in. Wonder what the winning percentage is for D1 teams in those games. Have to imagine it's close to 99%, but if they factor that in, one loss could be a killer.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »
Nice catch. I didn't think they ever factored those games in. Wonder what the winning percentage is for D1 teams in those games. Have to imagine it's close to 99%, but if they factor that in, one loss could be a killer.

Same.  Always thought it wasn't part of the equation.  Interesting catch.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2018, 01:23:11 PM »
It was included in the 2017 team sheets too.
https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats%20Library/2016-17%20Final%20MBB%20RPI%20Team%20Sheets.pdf

And a random check back to 2013 (didn't check all in between) shows it there too
https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats%20Library/2013%20Final%20Team%20Sheets.pdf

The oldest team sheets I could find, 2005, shows it at well, so I assume it's always been there.
https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats%20Library/2005-04-15%20final%20team%20sheets.pdf

Now...notice that the score is given, but it doesn't seem to make a W or L very apparent.  Basically, I don't disagree with you guys that the games don't matter much, and I doubt an NCAA tourney team has ever lost one (non-exhibition - Syracuse lost their exhibition a few years ago).  But, the information is there for the committee to see.

Edit: I can't find any regular season Div II loss in recent history.  Obviously Chaminade did it in 1982, but  no team sheets for that period :)  Only list I found was all exhibitions: https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/3rv1tx/on_division_2_vs_division_1_upsets/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:35:34 PM by rocky_warrior »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2018, 01:38:15 PM »
Now...notice that the score is given, but it doesn't seem to make a W or L very apparent.  Basically, I don't disagree with you guys that the games don't matter much, and I doubt an NCAA tourney team has ever lost one (non-exhibition - Syracuse lost their exhibition a few years ago).  But, the information is there for the committee to see.

Yeah, I think that Syracuse team ended up a 1-seed after winning the Big East regular season outright. Regardless, it's interesting that while those don't affect RPI they are still on display for the committee to see.