[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MUBB players to NBA Question?  (Read 14376 times)

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
Re: MUBB players to NBA Question?
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 04:00:15 PM »
With that rationale, Lloyd Moore should have had a long career.

Davante should be in the Hall of Fame.
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Ike Question
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 04:27:48 PM »
M2N won't leave next year

Not much of a demand for 5'11" SGs in the NBA.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 05:38:13 PM »
Again ...

Markus is nowhere near ready for the NBA. The same was true of Henry. The same was true of Vander.

The same has been true of dozens - maybe hundreds - of players over the last couple of decades who left early for the NBA anyway.

"Readiness" often has little to do with the decision.

I don't know Markus at all. I do not know whom he trusts for advice. I do not know if those people really have his best interests at heart. I do not know how realistic he is about his own chances at the next level. I do not know what his family's financial needs are. I do not know how much a college degree means to him. I do not know how much he likes playing with this group of guys and for this group of coaches.

All of those things, and perhaps a few other things I didn't mention, could have as much to do with any decision Markus makes as "readiness" will.

IMHO, and without breaking down each of their games for the umpteenth time, Sam is far closer to NBA material than Markus is as we sit here today.

If I were Sam - and Markus, for that matter - I would seriously consider doing the NBA evaluation thing after this season as rules allow. Get some honest input from NBA types, and see where you stack up against other potential draft picks. The rules put in place a couple years back would let them return to the MU fold as long as they don't hire agents.

No other Warrior underclassman is within a million miles of testing the NBA waters.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
Sam needs to look at Doug McDermott and realize that he’s not as quick, not as strong, and does not have as quick a release on his shot.  He can get there, but not ready yet.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »
If I were to guess, I think Sam wants to get at least a year in with his brother, and Markus wants to graduate (which would not surprise me if he did in 3 years) and get some PG experience at this level. Unless one of them drastically blows up down the stretch this year (not ruling that out), I think we get at least one more year of each.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 07:40:51 PM »
If I were to guess, I think Sam wants to get at least a year in with his brother, and Markus wants to graduate (which would not surprise me if he did in 3 years) and get some PG experience at this level. Unless one of them drastically blows up down the stretch this year (not ruling that out), I think we get at least one more year of each.

This makes tremendous sense and of course I hope it's how they are looking at it, too.

Markus simply MUST prove he can play PG to be an NBA player. I'm trying to think if there has ever been a 5-11 two-guard with only OK handle and no defensive ability in NBA history, and I'm coming up blank.

Sam needs to look at Doug McDermott and realize that he’s not as quick, not as strong, and does not have as quick a release on his shot.  He can get there, but not ready yet.

I agree about the relatively slow release - although he has gotten better at it.  Also agree Sam should get physically stronger, but again he has made significant strides there, too. Not sure I agree with McDermott being much quicker afoot, if at all.

I keep going back to Calbert Cheaney as the guy Sam reminds me of the most by body type and skill set. He was an outstanding all-around college player; and though he was never an NBA All-Star, he had a long (13 years), productive pro career.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »
All the flak at the beginning of this thread is weird. This is a perfectly normal conversation to have about the leading scorer in the Big East.

Markus doesn't seem to be the type to leave early just because someone got in his ear and inflated his ego. He comes from what seems to be a pretty great family and a strong support system, which can help rule out some of the reasons we see guys head to the NBA early. That being said, I doubt he gets much attention right now. Scouts probably want to see his defense and his ballhandling improve before they'd be willing to take a risk on a 5-11 shooter. I think it's more likely he stays all 4 years than it is that he leaves early, partly due to skillset, mostly due to size.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »
I think a decent recent comp for Markus is Frank Mason from Kansas.  Same height, Markus is a much better shooter while Mason is a better athlete.  But both are more scoring guards, but Mason took on more of a PG role his senior year.   But it wasn't a pure PG role, much like Markus' wouldn't be.  Mason also was player of the year and wasn't a first round pick.  Markus has age going for him, but I don't see him leaving early as he likely wouldn't be a first rounder.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 11:30:27 AM »
Can we officially start the J2N watch?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 11:52:57 AM »
Can we officially start the J2N watch?

Joey or Jamal? Or maybe (Theo) John?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
If J = Joey, the answer is yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »
Boys its not 1970. The NBA teams do not care if people are NBA ready. They draft on potential. They have a minor league system now thats doing wonders for many players. The argument of staying in college to improve is a stupid one. The moment you are 100% sure you will be drafted in the first round you leave college. Henry knew this.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 01:32:01 PM »
Maybe I'm dense but what does M2N mean? I know it refers to Markus.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »
Not much of a demand for 5'11" SGs in the NBA.

True.  I think a more reasonable comparable for Howard was Jimmer...and he was 6 ft 2.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 01:52:30 PM »
True.  I think a more reasonable comparable for Howard was Jimmer...and he was 6 ft 2.

Not even close.  Jimmer was high usage but not as efficient as Markus.  Jimmer was the definition of a volume shooter.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 07:37:04 PM »
Maybe I'm dense but what does M2N mean? I know it refers to Markus.
Markus 2 NBA
Goal is National Championship

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »

Markus simply MUST prove he can play PG to be an NBA player. I'm trying to think if there has ever been a 5-11 two-guard with only OK handle and no defensive ability in NBA history, and I'm coming up blank.

The guy I thought of under 6' was Tiny Archibald - but while Markus may be a better shooter, he has nowhere near the handle that Tiny did. He had true PG abilities and got into the lane at will against the big trees.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 11:32:00 PM »
The guy I thought of under 6' was Tiny Archibald - but while Markus may be a better shooter, he has nowhere near the handle that Tiny did. He had true PG abilities and got into the lane at will against the big trees.

I love Markus ... but he ain't no Tiny Archibald and he never will be.

In 1972-73, Archibald led the entire NBA in scoring (34 ppg) and assists (11.4). Hall of Famer.

I know you weren't saying Markus would be as good as Tiny, only that you thought of Tiny as a 6-footer who could ball, but Archibald was a true PG who could score. Averaged 7.4 assists overr his career.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »

In 1972-73, Archibald led the entire NBA in scoring (34 ppg) and assists (11.4). Hall of Famer.

I know you weren't saying Markus would be as good as Tiny, only that you thought of Tiny as a 6-footer who could ball, but Archibald was a true PG who could score. Averaged 7.4 assists overr his career.
Also Tiny wasn’t actually tiny he was 6-1 and solid .  A truly great player.

Actually the NBA player of old who Markus somewhat reminds me of is Milwaukee’s own Downtown Freddie Brown. He was a guy who would get hot and score points from the outside in bunches . A true perimeter player. The 3 pointer came in toward the end of his career. He was not small though.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »
They have a minor league system now thats doing wonders for many players.

Honest q .. of the 491 NBA active players today .. how many of them went through the g/d-league?

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 08:00:24 AM »
ESPN Insider released an updated NBA Draft top 100 ranking this morning.  Markus checks in at #39 on the list.  Maybe him leaving early isn't as crazy as many want to believe.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »
What about a Nate Robinson comparison?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »

If Markus could develop Robinson's ball handling ability that would be good.  The basic problem with Markus and the NBA is that he is a 2-guard in a point guard body.  He has to develop the point skills.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 08:53:57 AM »

Nate Robinson is a freak athlete.  Way more speed and vertical explosion than Markus.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 09:16:17 AM »

I was going more on size. Tiny was probably in the 60-80 range of all-time greatest players and MH has nowhere near the ball skills or passing skills.

feedback