[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SOTG  (Read 7752 times)

zcg2013

• Team Captain
Re: SOTG
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »
Sam, but Harry is close. He is so quick to the boards and his vision is so good for a big man. This would have been the game for him in garbage minutes to throw up some shots but he looked gassed and was hesitant with his open looks.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 08:29:53 AM »
Flabbergasted every time I think about Bucky not offering Sam a scholarship.

So are Bucky fans.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »
So are Bucky fans.
Which makes it all the sweeter. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »

It really was one of the dumbest recruiting oversights I can think of.  For oh so many reasons.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »

It really was one of the dumbest recruiting oversights I can think of.  For oh so many reasons.
But They Needed A Point GuardTM

Fortunately for MU, Bo Needed A MassageTM
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 10:04:02 AM »
But They Needed A Point GuardTM

I'm not 100% sure what this means because I don't follow F%cky that closely. They passed on Sam because they wanted a PG instead?

Maybe that's a cautionary tale for so many of us Scoopers who are drooling for a PG for Marquette's run to the 2019 Final Four?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »
I'm not 100% sure what this means because I don't follow F%cky that closely. They passed on Sam because they wanted a PG instead?

Maybe that's a cautionary tale for so many of us Scoopers who are drooling for a PG for Marquette's run to the 2019 Final Four?
I go with the Tom Landry theory of taking the best player avaialable.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »

We're set to be 2-3 solid players deep at the 2 - 5 next year, but we don't have anyone who handles the ball well consistently. I think it's hard to make the case that adding another 2/3 or 3/4 combo guy to the roster next year will be more beneficial than adding a guy with handles who distributes the ball well. If there's a guy available who is a "natural" 2 or 3 but can handle the ball better than Markus or Greg (not the highest bar there), then he'd be a great add. If we get Greg 2.0 or Jamal 2.0, then I'm not sure that's the best move we could make.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »

Thanks to Bo Ryan taking a flyer on Andy Van Vliet, Bucky only had one scholarship available for the 2016 class.  They "needed a PG and didn't want to oversign."  They lost out on all their PG targets in the fall and had another scholarship come open when Riley Dearring transferred at semester break.

Gard seems to have continued this conservative recruiting philosophy and got burned in 2018.  They have two walk-ons on scholarship after failing to land a grad transfer for this year and they didn't really seem to go after any traditional transfers as Gard saved spots for Herro and Hauser.  Gard really got left holding the bag when both went elsewhere...but hey they got another preferred walk-on on the way!

This is why I want Wojo to never settle.  Always try to upgrade the talent. Even when you have a great shot at landing Joey Hauser, take Ed Morrow.  Even when you don't have an available scholarship, swing for the fences on Quentin Grimes.  If you're teams not getting better, it's getting worse.  Get as much talent as possible.  The cream will rise to the top.  I accept some players will get passed by and transfer.  I'll wish them well and move on to focusing on the players that are here.

Win every day.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
Thanks to Bo Ryan taking a flyer on Andy Van Vliet, Bucky only had one scholarship available for the 2016 class.  They "needed a PG and didn't want to oversign."  They lost out on all their PG targets in the fall and had another scholarship come open when Riley Dearring transferred at semester break.

Gard seems to have continued this conservative recruiting philosophy and got burned in 2018.  They have two walk-ons on scholarship after failing to land a grad transfer for this year and they didn't really seem to go after any traditional transfers as Gard saved spots for Herro and Hauser.  Gard really got left holding the bag when both went elsewhere...but hey they got another preferred walk-on on the way!

This is why I want Wojo to never settle.  Always try to upgrade the talent. Even when you have a great shot at landing Joey Hauser, take Ed Morrow.  Even when you don't have an available scholarship, swing for the fences on Quentin Grimes.  If you're teams not getting better, it's getting worse.  Get as much talent as possible.  The cream will rise to the top.  I accept some players will get passed by and transfer.  I'll wish them well and move on to focusing on the players that are here.

Win every day.

I think Wojo has a little chip on his shoulder with Gard. Two guys that were career assistants and now at rival schools.  Wojo has to think, "I was at Duke, no way this guy at Wisconsin should be out recruiting me or beating us in games." Hopefully it continues.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 10:49:32 AM »
Yes, they were holding their last scholly for a PG, and (as I understand it) told Sam to wait until Spring to see if they'd have another slot available.  LOL.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
How many of the SOTG were not the leading scorer?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »

I think a couple times so far this year. At least one, where Sam had clearly the best line, but not the most points.  Of course, this year,  "leading" scorer is usually about 10+ points better than everybody else...which is also not normal.  It's hard not to deem a guy studly when we obviously would have lost the game without him due to points.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 11:17:09 AM »
Hauser may have the most textbook, picture-perfect jumper I've seen in years.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2018, 11:22:46 AM »
Sam is a good choice, but Harry had a great game. Five offensive boards and should have had a few extra assists if everyone else was shooting like they normally do. I think he's the biggest reason we built such a comfortable lead in the first half.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
I think a couple times so far this year. At least one, where Sam had clearly the best line, but not the most points.  Of course, this year,  "leading" scorer is usually about 10+ points better than everybody else...which is also not normal.  It's hard not to deem a guy studly when we obviously would have lost the game without him due to points.

I think I detect an Aussie lean.   ;D

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
I think I detect an Aussie lean.   ;D

Hah, not even close...though maybe if he hit a double double.  Looking at the box...
    http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/mugame19.html
My top 2 are Hauser, Rowsey. (9 assists!)..and then a pretty steep drop off.  Rowsey also had 5 TOs to negate his 5 steals, so that's a big downside there.  Honestly, Sam usually has a good enough line, with few mistakes, to win almost every time.  But the games he doesn't get SOTG, someone else puts up a huge points total.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »

Totally agree with this. I don't know how any MU fan could take issue with this philosophy.

Yes, they were holding their last scholly for a PG, and (as I understand it) told Sam to wait until Spring to see if they'd have another slot available.  LOL.

Thanks for the info. Gotta love it when arrogant sumbeaches get burned!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »
Hah, not even close...though maybe if he hit a double double.  Looking at the box...
    http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2017-2018/mugame19.html
My top 2 are Hauser, Rowsey. (9 assists!)..and then a pretty steep drop off.  Rowsey also had 5 TOs to negate his 5 steals, so that's a big downside there.  Honestly, Sam usually has a good enough line, with few mistakes, to win almost every time.  But the games he doesn't get SOTG, someone else puts up a huge points total.

+1

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2018, 03:13:12 PM »
JJJ was robbed several times last year.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2018, 03:13:52 PM »

No he wasn't.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2018, 03:47:08 PM »
Only in the fevered mind of a man who thinks Wojo didn't have players' backs and unjustly "nailed John Dawson to the bench". #performanceart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 03:49:09 PM »
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE STAND UP FOR THE PLAYERS UNJUSTLY ROBBED OF THE VAUNTED SCOOP STUD OF THE GAME AWARD!!!???!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »

Damn. I must have missed those police reports. I hope he never got pistol-whipped!

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 08:38:28 PM »
Are Sam's "2 steala" what the kids are calling steals these days or a nod to his understudy part in A Streetcar Named Desire where he yells 'Stella'?

feedback