[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How High Can Greg Fly  (Read 5603 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: How High Can Greg Fly
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 04:06:19 PM »
Hard to say. Not sure what we have with Bailey next year. Supposed to be really good but likely will be rusty.

Agreed.  But honestly, wheres the dude going to play? 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
Sacar seems to improve and get more confident every game.  Will be interesting to see where he is  at the end of the season.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 05:32:35 PM »
This is the problem. There will be so much parity on different levels. 200 min per game and all those deserving players. Someone?s expectations aren?t going to be met. As much as we are high on the talent of the frosh...And as nice guys as I?m sure they are, they are the candidates for leaving in Dec.

I hope not.

I hope Theo and Cain get good mins. I think Elliot will. Not sure how good bailey is. Is he good? Is he interested in academics or NBA? If he?s the odd man out...what will he do the following year. We?re not immune to it all...maybe more vulnerable.

Wojo just has to coach and win. But I think he will balance and that?s good.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »
I could see that.  I just think Heldt is the least talented of the big men and we'll have much more length 2-4.  He's played major minutes this season primarily out of necessity.  Don't get me wrong, he's been very efficient (rarely ever looks for his own shot unless he gets a wide open put back), but I just don't think he is a high major starting center.  Solid 5-10 minute change of pace guy.  I expect Froling and Theo to continue to improve, and their versatility and athleticism will be a better match with next season's roster.

I also expect the lionshare of the 4 minutes to go to Morrow, and Joey (and maybe a little Froling) filling in the gap.

We'll see.  Definitely a good problem to have.

I actually disagree, you need to have guys like Heldt that make the plays and tee up Markus and Hauser(s). I think he is a perfect fit. Agree that he isn?t striking fear into opposing players, he?s probably a very kind man. But he definitely fits the offense Wojo is running really well. I think he?s definitely in for 20 minutes a game, mostly with concerns that Morrow and Theo eat into them.

I think you will see Hauser and Morrow splitting time at the 4. Where Hauser plays 3/4 and Morrow plays 4/5 to balance out their minutes and give different looks.

I think that Froling is the one to wonder about, you probably see his minutes stay in the 8-10 range on the current trajectory, perhaps up to 12ish in a good scenario. I just can?t see him surpassing even Theo for PT, we need Theo to play.

GE is definitely in for 20-25 minutes, we are lacking at the guard position next year even if we bring someone in. Further, I think his play (steals, blocks, rebounds, great D) will be a major factor. I can actually see him as the PG, too.

We?ll have to see about Bailey but I suspect he?ll get some time. He was a high level recruit and a couple years to grow into his body. If he is playing negligible minutes I really doubt we hold onto him.

Eke probably set for garbage time, eyeing an increased role in the next year.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:25:19 PM by yetipro »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 12:07:38 AM »
I swear it seems the kid was looking straight down at the basket on his monster putback and on one of his rebounds his kneecaps were blocking the shot clock.

His length and vertical are delightfully deceiving; if his confidence stays on pace and (when) he starts slashing and shooting, everyone else better watch the F out.

In fact, if anyone on this team is going to earn the middle initial, my money's on him.

I looked up his bio after the game and was very surprised to see he's listed at only 6-3.

Plays much taller and longer. Me likey. Me likey Cain, too. Wojo brought in a couple of very high-ceiling Detroit kids! They will be big contributors in the second half of this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 09:26:37 AM »
I actually disagree, you need to have guys like Heldt that make the plays and tee up Markus and Hauser(s). I think he is a perfect fit. Agree that he isn?t striking fear into opposing players, he?s probably a very kind man. But he definitely fits the offense Wojo is running really well. I think he?s definitely in for 20 minutes a game, mostly with concerns that Morrow and Theo eat into them.

I think you will see Hauser and Morrow splitting time at the 4. Where Hauser plays 3/4 and Morrow plays 4/5 to balance out their minutes and give different looks.

I think that Froling is the one to wonder about, you probably see his minutes stay in the 8-10 range on the current trajectory, perhaps up to 12ish in a good scenario. I just can?t see him surpassing even Theo for PT, we need Theo to play.

GE is definitely in for 20-25 minutes, we are lacking at the guard position next year even if we bring someone in. Further, I think his play (steals, blocks, rebounds, great D) will be a major factor. I can actually see him as the PG, too.

We?ll have to see about Bailey but I suspect he?ll get some time. He was a high level recruit and a couple years to grow into his body. If he is playing negligible minutes I really doubt we hold onto him.

Eke probably set for garbage time, eyeing an increased role in the next year.

Fair comments. 

I think Sam's time at the 4 is basically over starting next year.  He'll see some time there in smaller lineups, but he's our 3 moving forward.  Too many front court options.

I also think you're downplaying Morrow. If you haven't seen him play, I get it.  But he is really good.  Like, one of our best players, good. He'll be in the top 3 in minutes next year if he's healthy, along with Sam and Markus.

As for Heldt, I guess we'll have to see.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if he played 20 minutes per game next season, but I think Wojo prefers to have guys that can space the court.  Morrow isn't a threat from distance, and playing Morrow and Heldt together a lot doesn't seem like much of fit.  I like Matt, he's a good kid and works really hard.  I just think by next season, we're going to have a bunch of front court options, and I think Theo and Froling's progression will render Matt to the back of the C rotation.  JMO as things stand right now...obviously alot can change in a year.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 12:14:18 PM »
Any of you older folks have comparisons to the Grasshopper? 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:24 PM »
Fair comments. 

I think Sam's time at the 4 is basically over starting next year.  He'll see some time there in smaller lineups, but he's our 3 moving forward.  Too many front court options.

I also think you're downplaying Morrow. If you haven't seen him play, I get it.  But he is really good.  Like, one of our best players, good. He'll be in the top 3 in minutes next year if he's healthy, along with Sam and Markus.

As for Heldt, I guess we'll have to see.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if he played 20 minutes per game next season, but I think Wojo prefers to have guys that can space the court.  Morrow isn't a threat from distance, and playing Morrow and Heldt together a lot doesn't seem like much of fit.  I like Matt, he's a good kid and works really hard.  I just think by next season, we're going to have a bunch of front court options, and I think Theo and Froling's progression will render Matt to the back of the C rotation.  JMO as things stand right now...obviously alot can change in a year.

Good guess, I haven?t seen him at all! And, I?d cede that Heldt would lose a ton of time to much superior player that can only spot up at 5 (or if he?s superfluous if Matt is also on the floor). My opinion is based on Morrow likely being mostly a 4 and therefore needing to soak up minutes next to him (with Heldt/Theo mainly).

I think it?s more fun to think about Froling at this point, all signs are pointing to him being a fun pet project for Wojo to gnaw on for a few years. I think he?s more of a lottery ticket than most think; I don?t know how you can just project massive improvement from him just due to time/experience.

Also I agree on Hauser being somewhat out of place at 4 but (and I?d assume the numbers support it) he has been more than serviceable there. Him playing the 4, a) keeps the offense very open, and b) his low post defense is solid/high effort. I also like the idea of leaving time for a slashing 3 due to the preponderance of spot shooters on the court at any given time. Assuming that Bailey also fits that mold, Sacar/Cain/Bailey would pick those minutes up in most games. Then, if they need to go big, Sam can go to 3, Morrow to 4, etc. Basically, Wojo has so many lineup options next season based on the matchup, with respect to that I really think it will be like this season on steroids... Major variation in minutes played based on the gameplan/opponent.

Given all that I?ve said we are still so far out. For example, if Froling or Theo put up some double-doubles in the BET, probably changes everything about our notions of next season. Then transfers, etc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:15:57 PM by yetipro »

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 04:32:22 PM »
Fair comments. 

Jamal, I agree with you with Morrow, have heard he is the best inside player MU has had in a long time.  Physically big, not skinny.  David Boone or Maurice Lucas type.
Watched Nebraska last year, once I found out he went to Simeon in Chicago, could not believe he went to Nebraska, then heard, his parents went to school there.  But he realized it is not a basketball school and came to MU.  He did not have an outside shot last year, this year off should really help him develop.  See lots of videos
getting instruction from Carrawell, so he must his project.   For Sam, not sure he can play the 3, not a slasher, not quick.  Not sure he can guard players like Bluiett or
Bridges.  I hope Morrow can play the 3 on defense if he is quick enough, otherwise there is going to be a big logjam at the 4 next year.  Where does Joey play?  At least for a change there is competition, at all 3 frontcourt positions, let the best players play.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 05:07:35 PM »
Jamal, I agree with you with Morrow, have heard he is the best inside player MU has had in a long time.  Physically big, not skinny.  David Boone or Maurice Lucas type.
Watched Nebraska last year, once I found out he went to Simeon in Chicago, could not believe he went to Nebraska, then heard, his parents went to school there.  But he realized it is not a basketball school and came to MU.  He did not have an outside shot last year, this year off should really help him develop.  See lots of videos
getting instruction from Carrawell, so he must his project.   For Sam, not sure he can play the 3, not a slasher, not quick.  Not sure he can guard players like Bluiett or
Bridges.  I hope Morrow can play the 3 on defense if he is quick enough, otherwise there is going to be a big logjam at the 4 next year.  Where does Joey play?  At least for a change there is competition, at all 3 frontcourt positions, let the best players play.   

You are way too concerned about positions.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 05:35:25 PM »
Any of you older folks have comparisons to the Grasshopper?

Wee talkin? Artie heer, bro? Green had da springs like no udder, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »
My memory isn't great but Artie could really,  really jump.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
Yep Artie. He still goes to a lot of games. Super nice guy.  Never same him play, but have heard he could jump a little.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
My memory isn't great but Artie could really,  really jump.

Your memory is pretty good - AG might have been best leaper ever at MU.

The problem is that his range was about as good as Theo's.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »
Watched Nebraska last year, once I found out he went to Simeon in Chicago, could not believe he went to Nebraska, then heard, his parents went to school there.  But he realized it is not a basketball school and came to MU. He did not have an outside shot last year, this year off should really help him develop.  See lots of videos getting instruction from Carrawell, so he must his project.

Do we need Morrow to have an outside shot? There's nothing wrong with a big who plays with his back to the basket. Since he didn't ever attempt a 3 at Nebraska, I'm guessing he's working more on continuing to develop his inside game. Having a short to mid range jumper would be nice, but I don't think we need him on the perimeter on offense; we'll have plenty of talent out there already.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 04:30:43 PM »
Do we need Morrow to have an outside shot? There's nothing wrong with a big who plays with his back to the basket. Since he didn't ever attempt a 3 at Nebraska, I'm guessing he's working more on continuing to develop his inside game. Having a short to mid range jumper would be nice, but I don't think we need him on the perimeter on offense; we'll have plenty of talent out there already.

Would be nice if he's on the same FT shooting program as Heldt at the very least.

Heldt went 56%/56%/89%
Morrow = 57%/62%/??%

If he maintains his usage rate from Nebraska (~20%) and FTR (~35%) with a spike in FT% anywhere near Heldt's, he'll be quite the weapon

feedback