[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East love  (Read 3646 times)

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: Big East love
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »
The hate is coming. Before this season, I have been very "peace, love, and kumbaya" towards our Big East brethren. We were all in this together, basketball pioneers in a football watching world. We also needed the conference to do well, to legitimize itself. I was more excited than I thought possible when Jenkins' last second trey found the bottom of the net.

Something changed this season though. I was watching St. John's play and they were losing and I caught myself thinking "good, I hate those guys." The rational part of my brain quickly took over and scolded myself, reminding me that cheering for the Big East in non-conference was best for Marquette.....still....the hate is there. It won't be long.

Ditto.  The two days before we go to Hinkle I'm mumbling to myself.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
I have enjoyed this incarnation of the Big East since inception. The double round robin , and distinct focus of the conference members serves to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. The league is now in the phase were we are starting to see some rivalries develop and the personality of the coaches take hold.

Villanova is a legitimate national contender every year, which gives every team in the conference two feature games on their schedule. Xavier , Butler and Creighton all have built sustainable programs and have committed and vocal fan bases. Seton Hall is making similar strides and just needs their fan base to step up a little bit .  The Marquette Providence games are always colorful and well contested.  Georgetown and the Johnnies are poised to regain some of their luster which will really put fuel to the fire .  Even Depaul is well positioned to move from the league basement to solid mediocrity as their new arena gives them a focal point to rally off of.

The league has a solid TV deal with Fox which has worked well to date.  I believe when the time comes for a new contract the league will be able to replicate or even improve the existing package. My sense is that there will be multiple competitive bidders  as there will be a 10 year track record to price off of .

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »
Just watched the Johnnies lose to Georgetown, and they are almost guaranteed to fall to 0-7 in league play with Xavier and Nova up next. Then they'll get LoVett back and turn into a different team. I feel like they're going to be a pain to play since we don't see them until mid-February when they should be healthy. Annoying we aren't seeing them early, they are terrible right now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.