[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: SEC v B1G In Bowl Games  (Read 4380 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: SEC v B1G In Bowl Games
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 01:23:02 PM »
Yeah, it will be fun pretending this summer they are a playoff team. Until this stretch, and when they go 3-2,pkus another loss somewhere else ...  Hello Music City Bowl.

Sultan, glow said above ... Bucky had an incredible season and is a legitimate threat to compete for a national championship next year.  So yes, this is another way of saying "in the hunt."  Bend your goal posts the correct way.

Again, you quoted something no one said.

But he was talking about *next* year.  You were specifically talking about *this* year when you said this:  "Please make the case for me that a team that has Northwestern as its signature win is "world class" and "in the hunt for the playoffs."

So yet again, you are mixing up your discussion points in an attempt to always seem right.  Disingenuous. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »
They were 29th in points with all true freshman and Sophs at the skill positions.

Offense will be better. Probably best combo of RBs and WRs in the country next year.

That scoring stat is inflated nicely by 6 defensive scores (second in the nation). The yardage figure is a more accurate representation of the offense. And, while I think it's a bit unfair to tarnish UW's success because of their schedule, let's not discount the quality of competition they racked up those yards against.
Also, didn't Hornibrook redshirt?
I'll simply beg to differ on the quality of UWs receiving corps.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »
Hornibrook redshirted in 2015.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 01:36:31 PM »
Redshirt juniors, academic seniors.  Can graduate and leave or grad transfer, as I said

#readingnomatta

You are correct.  I stopped reading after 10 of 11 seniors because I have never heard anyone use academic standing when discussing athletic eligibility.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
You are correct.  I stopped reading after 10 of 11 seniors because I have never heard anyone use academic standing when discussing athletic eligibility.

Other than the announcers in yesterday's game as that is how they described it and where I got it from.

#schoolnomatta

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
Well, I watched the game on DVR at a friend's house.  He's quite good at skipping the between play riff raff so I missed that comment.  Mea Culpa.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2017, 03:59:02 PM »
Wisconsin should be very good next year, but I'm not sure national championship hunt.  The schedule is much more demanding and hard to see them winning the Big Ten title, but they will be very good.

However, must disagree with the Miami victory as a big deal.  Miami was questioned all season as overrated until they beat Notre Dame.  After seeing what ND did, was that victory that impressive?  Miami proceeded the next week to struggle at home against a 6-5 Virginia squad in which the Canes trailed 28-14 in the second half.  Miami came back to win that game, but proceeded to lose to 5-7 Pittsburgh the next week, then get killed by Clemson the week after.  They ultimately lost 3 straight and very well could have been four.  They struggled to beat FSU winning in final seconds, beat Ga. Tech by 1 in Miami.  This was not a top 10 team.  I've seen some ratings with them between 16 and 20. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2017, 04:10:21 PM »
Ok but what teams are clearly better than UW?  The four playoff teams plus Ohio State plus maybe Auburn. That’s all I got.

Sixth or seventh makes sense to me.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »
Ok but what teams are clearly better than UW?  The four playoff teams plus Ohio State plus maybe Auburn. That’s all I got.

Penn State probably belongs in the conversation. Two losses, but by a combined four points on the road against ranked teams (and unusual circumstances in East Lansing).
Put it this way ... if they were to meet next week at a neutral site, I believe Penn State would be favored.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2017, 04:18:21 PM »
Ok I’ll give you that too. So 6th to 8th.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
You guys can poo poo Miami all you want and I agree to a point. But yesterday was a true road game for Bucky and that can't be understated.

As I said, somewhere between 5-10.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2017, 05:22:19 PM »

Georgia has one of the best-recruiting classes in history in 2018 and clearly the #1 class.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/12/20/16788196/georgia-recruiting-class-2018

Bucky incoming class is #37

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

So Bucky has to make hay next year, after that, they "go away" (like their basketball team has).

So who is better than Bucky?

Alabama
Georgia
Clemson
Oklahoma
Auburn
Ohio State
Penn State
USC (only if Darnold returns)

Who is equal to Bucky?

USC (w/o Darnold)
TCU
LSU
ND (big class coming in)
Michigan (decent class coming in, decent redshirts coming
Mich State (see above).
Stanford
Ok State

Who is behind Bucky but can pass them?

Northwestern (They have a 5th year QB that will play on Sunday)
VT
Miss State
Texas (big class coming)

So Bucky starts the year ranked between 5 and 10.  They will have 2 to 3 losses with their harder schedule.  They will be ranked between 10 and 20 at the end of the year and go to a decent bowl.

This is a good year!  But they are not in the upper echelon of FBS.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 05:24:57 PM by Yukon Cornelius »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2017, 06:16:33 PM »
Heisey, I was talking this year.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »
Georgia has one of the best-recruiting classes in history in 2018 and clearly the #1 class.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/12/20/16788196/georgia-recruiting-class-2018

Bucky incoming class is #37

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

So Bucky has to make hay next year, after that, they "go away" (like their basketball team has).

Clueless. This is typically where their recruiting is.

They haven't "gone away" for the last 20 years; they are not going away after next year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2017, 09:57:19 PM »
UW has built an excellent model for itself.  Lock up the in-state talent, get skill position players from Florida, the east coast, Ohio, etc., and get a bunch of walk-ons who will work their tails off and set an example for the scholarship players.

Barry Alvarez learned all this at Nebraska under Bob Devaney who had a very similar model.  Obviously they haven't been as good as Nebraska has historically been, but they have been very good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 07:19:42 AM »
So? SEC still overrated?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 08:46:44 AM »
So? SEC still overrated?

No.  Just top-heavy.  The problem with the SEC has been that next level down hasn't been very good, aided by traditional powers like Florida, Tennessee, A&M and Arkansas pretty much sucking.  Florida and A&M upgraded their coaches.  Not sure if Tennessee or Arkansas did enough. 

I'm wondering if the national championship game in Atlanta, between Georgia and Alabama, will set an all time record for ticket prices on the secondary market.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »
You guys can poo poo Miami all you want and I agree to a point. But yesterday was a true road game for Bucky and that can't be understated.

As I said, somewhere between 5-10.

I watched only some of the game, so forgive my question of ignorance.  Though the game was played in Miami, was it a true road game?  I recall Rose Bowl games even against the local teams like UCLA and Wisconsin in 1990's, where there were more Wisconsin fans by a large number than UCLA fans.  Miami doesn't have the greatest sports reputation in terms of support and Wisconsin travels well. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 09:46:54 PM »
The Big East has scored as many points in the CFP as the B1G over the last 3 seasons.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2018, 09:52:05 PM »
I watched only some of the game, so forgive my question of ignorance.  Though the game was played in Miami, was it a true road game?  I recall Rose Bowl games even against the local teams like UCLA and Wisconsin in 1990's, where there were more Wisconsin fans by a large number than UCLA fans.  Miami doesn't have the greatest sports reputation in terms of support and Wisconsin travels well. 

UW fans I know in attendance said the crowd was about 60 percent Miami fans and a bunch of neutrals.  Not really enough to make it a true road game.

feedback