[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin vs wku  (Read 6754 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Wisconsin vs wku
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 03:35:38 PM »
“In establishing a legal screen, the screener shall stay within his vertical plane with a stance in which the inside of the screener’s feet is no wider than shoulder with apart.

You can see in the replay that Davison’s toes are basically on the corner of the key and the edge of the restricted circle.  That’s 5 1/2 feet.  You can see his heels are well outside his shoulders.  If this were another freshman just down I-94, I’m 95% sure he gets called for an illegal screen as he has been all season.

I know I’m getting in the weeds, but it’s driving me nuts that people are calling this a “heady play” when the window for successful execution (at least by definition) is very small and Davison did a number of things wrong.

Now known widely as the Larry Craig Rule

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »
I would definitely have my costume for Halloween next year, if it wasn't for having to purchase and wear badger gear.

You gotta love too that he tucks in his quarter zip...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »
Seriously, who has ever set a screen with their hands above their head?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »

I don't get why everyone is so upset. It is UW versus a mid-major.

Who cares who won or how?

BTW, this is a serious question. Why do MU fans care about this? Sometimes I think it's an inferiority complex and I don't understand why.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »

BTW, this is a serious question. Why do MU fans care about this? Sometimes I think it's an inferiority complex and I don't understand why.

So which of these fanbases have the inferiority complex, Louisville or Kentucky fans?  Duke or North Carolina fans?

Sometimes fans of one college basketball team don't like other college basketball teams and enjoy seeing them lose.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 05:58:19 PM »

I was upset that I got robbed from seeing a great finish to an exciting game. Also west Kentucky is actually good this year.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 07:36:50 PM »
So which of these fanbases have the inferiority complex, Louisville or Kentucky fans?  Duke or North Carolina fans?

Sometimes fans of one college basketball team don't like other college basketball teams and enjoy seeing them lose.

I understand that Wades. I love seeing ND, tOSU, Michigan and a few others lose as often as possible.

I just think that while things are cyclical, there is no reason as an MU fan to feel inferior. I totally understand people being glad when UW loses. I don't see a need to gloat. Or to make excuses when they win - and, yes it was one of the worst game deciding calls I have ever seen.

I

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 11:15:13 PM »

A midget window installer?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2017, 12:46:28 AM »

To be fair, it was talked about a decent amount on the internet today in college basketball circles outside Marquette/Wisconsin.  And Wisconsin's reputation for flopping and playing sheisty isn't limited to just Marquette bias, so others thought it was absurd.

For example this is an East Coast dude with no ties to UW.
https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/we-witnessed-one-of-the-worst-calls-in-college-basketball-to-end-the-wisconsinwku-game

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »
A midget window installer?

I enjoyed this more than I should have.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 07:46:58 AM »

It'll be interesting to see if other players start using this new "X Man" pick.  Arms spread above the head and legs spread wide.

Seriously, I think they would have called two fouls on Theo for that pick.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2017, 10:23:09 AM »

Admittedly, this probably would have slipped under my radar if it weren’t either Bucky or a Big East team.  But I think it’s an interesting intersection of rules, strategy, and officiating.

As the rules are currently written, this play is a terrible strategy.  To successfully get the defensive foul you’re looking for, you need a) the screener to set a legal screen, and b) the defender to make contact with the screen within his field of vision.  We can argue the semantics of what “field of vision” entails, but contact on a blind screen is very deliberately and prominently placed in the definition of “incidental contact” (Rule 4.21.5).  So right off the bat, this is a bad idea — the premise is built on the defender not seeing the screen, which means by rule the contact is not a foul.

To make things worse, assuming the collision happens and your screener ends up on his back with no call, you’ve now reduced your number of inbounding options from 4 to 3 while eating up 1-2 seconds of a five-second count.

On top of that, if the screen is set illegally (still moving, feet too wide, foot out of bounds, not providing a defender with adequate space once the screen is set), you’ve just put the ball in your opponent’s hands under their hoop with two seconds left in a tie ball game.  That alone should outweigh any incentive to run this play.

What I really thought was interesting was the post game presser where Davison said they practiced the play because they knew the foul would be called.  So either Gard doesn’t know the rule, or he’s relying on “how the game is called.”  If it’s the latter, it reinforces what a lot of people don’t like about NCAA officiating, and is a prime example for why the NCAA needs to simplify the rules, use full-time refs, or both.

feedback