[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: It only gets worse for Bucky  (Read 136115 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: It only gets worse for Bucky
« Reply #275 on: January 17, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
Yes, where Bo railed on the Grad Transfers at the same school that celebrates "Alum" Russell Wilson.

The deification of Wilson at Madison is hilarious to me.  He was in Madison for 4ish months, they didn't even win their division of the B10 outright, were a punter flop away from losing the B10 championship game, and then didn't score in the 4th period to leak away the Rose Bowl.  Yet Wilson is front and center on every UW FB marketing item.  Madtown is TOTALLY the reason for his NFL success.

All at a school that feels they are the pinnacle of academics and athletics.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »

My questions stand: Is Wisconsin AAU overrated?  And how has it helped Bucky recently to become elite?

I think Bucky benefitted from a down Big Ten from a recruiting perspective. They got a lot of talent out of Minnesota and Illinois in conjunction with the state schools not being great there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #277 on: January 17, 2018, 03:01:53 PM »
I haven't seen Kobe King play but understand that he probably has the most potential.  But amongst Reuvers, Trice, Davison, Pritzl, Ford, and their seeming multitude of currently red-shirted freshmen, would you classify any of them as significantly better than mediocre?  Davison is playing worse and worse as the year goes on, Ford is invisible, Pritzl can't shoot, and Trice wasn't anything to get excited about IMO.  Maybe Reuvers has a chance to develop. 

Can't say there is a single one I'd open up a roster spot at MU for.  I think out talent level across the board is better at every position other than perhaps Happ.

I'd take Happ, Davison, and Reuvers for sure. Probably King as well but haven't seen enough of him to be sure.

I also think Iverson is being criminally misused at Bucky. I have seen flashes from him that remind me of Deonte Burton. I just think he is shackled by Gard's style of play. He can't shoot a lick though so pass.

Ford is a high major player but seems like a lesser version of the Hausers so pass. Trice seems like the kind of guy who is fine as a 5th scoring option and playing the two guard but not anything more, pass. Van Vliet, Illikanian, Thomas, Pritzl? Hard pass on all of them.

So maybe 3.5 players on Bucky's roster that I would trade for players on the bottom of our roster. Given that, and the players we have coming in vs the players they having coming in next season? It's a good time to be sporting gold instead of red in Wisconsin.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #278 on: January 17, 2018, 03:25:11 PM »
its ALWAYS a good time to be sporting gold instead of red in Wisconsin.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #279 on: January 17, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
I wonder if the Bucky fanbase will lash out with the thinly veiled racism against Marquette and it's players that they used to now that Wojo is coach?  Or the mythical academic leniency they liked to cite?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #280 on: January 17, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
I'd take Happ, Davison, and Reuvers for sure. Probably King as well but haven't seen enough of him to be sure.

I also think Iverson is being criminally misused at Bucky. I have seen flashes from him that remind me of Deonte Burton. I just think he is shackled by Gard's style of play. He can't shoot a lick though so pass.

Ford is a high major player but seems like a lesser version of the Hausers so pass. Trice seems like the kind of guy who is fine as a 5th scoring option and playing the two guard but not anything more, pass. Van Vliet, Illikanian, Thomas, Pritzl? Hard pass on all of them.

So maybe 3.5 players on Bucky's roster that I would trade for players on the bottom of our roster. Given that, and the players we have coming in vs the players they having coming in next season? It's a good time to be sporting gold instead of red in Wisconsin.

Which "bottom of our roster" players - Cam?  Happ - sure.  Reuvers - instead of who? - Theo?  Davison - instead of our Eliot or Cain?  I watched most of that "game" last night against Purdue (schadenfreude) and, except for Happ, I dont understand what you are seeing.   

I am genuinely curious.

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #281 on: January 17, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »

Their style of play is killing Iverson. He needs to get out of there.  But not to MU.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #282 on: January 17, 2018, 03:48:01 PM »

Which "bottom of our roster" players - Cam?  Happ - sure.  Reuvers - instead of who? - Theo?  Davison - instead of our Eliot or Cain?  I watched most of that "game" last night against Purdue (schadenfreude) and, except for Happ, I dont understand what you are seeing.   

I am genuinely curious.

Yah I don't trade anyone of our current scholarship players outside of Eke for anyone on Bucky.  Obviously Haap is a nice player, but he's a senior next season.  The rest of the crew?  I'd take every on MU over them.  Davison looks like he'll be a decent player, but his flopping would drive me insane. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #283 on: January 17, 2018, 03:52:48 PM »
I remember him Top 25 circa 2010 when Roy was in WI every other week.  I could be wrong but he did slip certainly over time as he couldn't shoot.  Similar to Jamil Wilson.

My questions stand: Is Wisconsin AAU overrated?  And how has it helped Bucky recently to become elite?

I don't know if I'd say overrated. I mean if you think about it there's 25-30 5 stars every year. That's .6 five stars per state. Considering WI isn't an exceptionally urban state ranking 20th in terms of population then you realize it's actually impressive they've had as many as they have in the last 5-10 years.  Even if you blow that up to top 100 I'm sure they're turning out above average numbers in terms of top talent.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #284 on: January 17, 2018, 04:24:45 PM »

I am genuinely curious.

I'd take Happ for Heldt in a heartbeat. No knock on Heldt, Happ is an All American. I'd have to seriously consider 1 year of Happ for 2 years of Harry as well.

I'd take Davison for Eke but not sure about anyone else. Could be wrong on that trade too, Eke looks the part but am leery of his back injury. We also have an open scholarship in 2018 so I'd take Davison over an open chair. He could develop into a nice role player for us.

I like Reuvers a lot, think he will be a stud sooner than later. I'd take 3 years of him over 1 year of Heldt, 2 years of Harry, 4 years of Eke, and would seriously consider 3 years of Theo...tougher call there. I think Theo is better at what he does but Reuvers has so much more versatility to his game IMHO.

If it sounds like I'm praising rodents, please don't be mistaken. Saying only their top three players are better than any player on our roster is not a compliment.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #285 on: January 17, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
I'd take Happ for Heldt in a heartbeat. No knock on Heldt, Happ is an All American. I'd have to seriously consider 1 year of Happ for 2 years of Harry as well.

I'd take Davison for Eke but not sure about anyone else. Could be wrong on that trade too, Eke looks the part but am leery of his back injury. We also have an open scholarship in 2018 so I'd take Davison over an open chair. He could develop into a nice role player for us.

I like Reuvers a lot, think he will be a stud sooner than later. I'd take 3 years of him over 1 year of Heldt, 2 years of Harry, 4 years of Eke, and would seriously consider 3 years of Theo...tougher call there. I think Theo is better at what he does but Reuvers has so much more versatility to his game IMHO.

If it sounds like I'm praising rodents, please don't be mistaken. Saying only their top three players are better than any player on our roster is not a compliment.

No way I take Reavers over Harry, or especially Theo.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2018, 05:06:53 PM »
The deification of Wilson at Madison is hilarious to me.  He was in Madison for 4ish months, they didn't even win their division of the B10 outright, were a punter flop away from losing the B10 championship game, and then didn't score in the 4th period to leak away the Rose Bowl.  Yet Wilson is front and center on every UW FB marketing item.  Madtown is TOTALLY the reason for his NFL success.

All at a school that feels they are the pinnacle of academics and athletics.

True... but wouldn’t we do the same if someone like Lockett or Reinhardt turned into the biggest current NBA star from MU?

I get the hypocrisy of UW@Madison in terms of student athletes, but don’t see anything unusual about using Wilson to raise funds.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #287 on: January 17, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »
I wonder if the Bucky fanbase will lash out with the thinly veiled racism against Marquette and it's players that they used to now that Wojo is coach?  Or the mythical academic leniency they liked to cite?
There are still posters on their 247 board that insist, without teal, that Herro's offer was rescinded because his academic work wasn't good enough.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #288 on: January 17, 2018, 06:02:52 PM »
There are still posters on their 247 board that insist, without teal, that Herro's offer was rescinded because his academic work wasn't good enough.

Harvard of the Midwest 😂

tower912

• All American
« Reply #289 on: January 17, 2018, 06:04:31 PM »

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #290 on: January 17, 2018, 07:09:19 PM »
Happ is way over rated.  After him there are no other D I players on their roster.  Let's face the facts.  Bo could coach up poor talent.  Hard coaches down and isn't a recruiter.  The rodents will be bottom dwellers for a few years now.

connie

• All American
« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2018, 07:18:01 PM »
Happ is way over rated.  After him there are no other D I players on their roster.  Let's face the facts.  Bo could coach up poor talent.  Hard coaches down and isn't a recruiter.  The rodents will be bottom dwellers for a few years now.

I strongly agree with this.  Bo sold his soul to Satan and did a great job with marginal to borderline talent.  When he had good talent the team was exceptional.  Apparently Gard can still see his reflection in the mirror and what Bo could make work, he can't. 

And I am not a huge Happ fan.  Christ, he air balled a free throw last night that was off line and a foot short.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #292 on: January 17, 2018, 08:40:22 PM »
Pure lunacy to hear talk of his academics not being good enough.  I have a few friends in and around the Northwestern program.  You never hear that in the program and they have recently really started to recruit.  Madison needs to get over itself.  What a load of crap.  They are not in the ballpark of a Northwestern or Notre Dame in terms of academics.  Those are facts.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #293 on: January 17, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »
A word of warning: Don't declare the Badgers a dead program until you see absolute, indisputable evidence. I mean, something like a pack of vultures stripping the carcass down to bare bones.

Think back to this point two years ago. The Badgers had lost Kaminsky, Dekker, Jackson, Dukan and Gasser. Bo Ryan, off to a shaky start with losses to Western Illinois, UW-M and Marquette, unexpectedly retires in the wake of a sex scandal. Greg Gard steps in as head coach and proceeds to lose 4 of the next 7 games. UW was 9-9, 1-4 in the Big Ten. Dead program, right?

The Badgers went 11-2 the rest of the regular season and made the Sweet 16.

So far this season, the Badgers are 9-10, 2-4 in the Big Ten. They've lost 3 in a row, including a 28-point drubbing by Purdue. Despite all that, and the loss of Van Vliet, King and Trice, the team is still ranked in the Top 100 according to KenPom.com and has just one loss to a sub-Top 100 team (Rutgers).

I'm not saying UW is a good team. Or that they're going to turn in another remarkable finish. Or that the future of the program looks bright. But after being a fan of MU for more than 25 years, I've learned not to count out the Badgers.

They were saying that about MU when Wojo took over. Now look where we are; on an upward trajectory.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #294 on: January 17, 2018, 09:47:53 PM »
A word of warning: Don't declare the Badgers a dead program until you see absolute, indisputable evidence. I mean, something like a pack of vultures stripping the carcass down to bare bones.

Think back to this point two years ago. The Badgers had lost Kaminsky, Dekker, Jackson, Dukan and Gasser. Bo Ryan, off to a shaky start with losses to Western Illinois, UW-M and Marquette, unexpectedly retires in the wake of a sex scandal. Greg Gard steps in as head coach and proceeds to lose 4 of the next 7 games. UW was 9-9, 1-4 in the Big Ten. Dead program, right?

The Badgers went 11-2 the rest of the regular season and made the Sweet 16.

So far this season, the Badgers are 9-10, 2-4 in the Big Ten. They've lost 3 in a row, including a 28-point drubbing by Purdue. Despite all that, and the loss of Van Vliet, King and Trice, the team is still ranked in the Top 100 according to KenPom.com and has just one loss to a sub-Top 100 team (Rutgers).

I'm not saying UW is a good team. Or that they're going to turn in another remarkable finish. Or that the future of the program looks bright. But after being a fan of MU for more than 25 years, I've learned not to count out the Badgers.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2018, 04:39:22 AM »

I hate Bucky as much as the next Warrior, but it's pretty silly to claim tha Reuvers, Davison, King, etc aren't D1 players.  They may not be stars, but they each could at least be contributors on a good team.

That said, without recruiting a star guard quickly, the Badgers will be bad for a while.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2018, 08:40:12 AM »
I hate Bucky as much as the next Warrior, but it's pretty silly to claim tha Reuvers, Davison, King, etc aren't D1 players.  They may not be stars, but they each could at least be contributors on a good team.

That said, without recruiting a star guard quickly, the Badgers will be bad for a while.

Bo could recruit too.  And got topline talent.  For every Frank Kaminsky (Top 300 player) there was a Joe Krabbenhoft (Top 25 player, Rivals).  Bo put everyone into his system.  His talent was making the Top 25 kid look like a four year top 100 and making the top 300 look like a Top 100. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #297 on: January 18, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
I remember him Top 25 circa 2010 when Roy was in WI every other week.  I could be wrong but he did slip certainly over time as he couldn't shoot.  Similar to Jamil Wilson.

While Jamil was not a great shooter, he was way better than JP.

JP was an exceptional athlete but far from an exceptional basketball player.  I saw him play one HS game and was underwhelmed.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #298 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:03 AM »
Bo could recruit too.  And got topline talent.  For every Frank Kaminsky (Top 300 player) there was a Joe Krabbenhoft (Top 25 player, Rivals).  Bo put everyone into his system.  His talent was making the Top 25 kid look like a four year top 100 and making the top 300 look like a Top 100. 

Keaton Nankivil

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #299 on: January 18, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »

I don't know exactly what you mean by "overrated," but my (anecdotal) thoughts are that Wisconsin has produced more high level D1 talent than it did a generation ago.  Those players have largely went to UW and MU, which has helped the development of both programs.

Does that mean Wisconsin is a hotbed of basketball talent?  No.  But if you look at the rosters of UW and MU when they have been most successful recently, there are a number of players who were recruited by out of state "powers" and chose to stay here (or transfer back.)