[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Golden nugget from SI vault  (Read 4306 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Golden nugget from SI vault
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »

Goose

• All American
Re: Golden nugget from SI vault
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »
Curry was a big Al and MU fan.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:42:42 AM »
A different time.   I am trying to imagine the responses here if scoop had existed when that article came out.   The mods would have to shut the place down.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »
Those were the days, my friend...

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
That article seems far from traditional.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
That article seems far from traditional.

Best team MU ever had,  All-American guard and All-American bigman, not bad, weakllink the coaches son, if they had Howard or Rowsey, national champs.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 01:32:14 PM »
Love the dated language of the title.  Crazy cat lol.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »
Best team MU ever had,  All-American guard and All-American bigman, not bad, weakllink the coaches son, if they had Howard or Rowsey, national champs.

If the Big Ten ref hadn't called 3 offensive fouls on Dean (and fouled him out for the only time in his career) against Ohio State we would have headed to the FF 29-0 and on course to meet uCLA in the title game.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 01:57:39 PM »
If the Big Ten ref hadn't called 3 offensive fouls on Dean (and fouled him out for the only time in his career) against Ohio State we would have headed to the FF 29-0 and on course to meet uCLA in the title game.

Yep, worst called game from a ref ever, ref hated Al, still see Jim Cleamons flooping on the last charge, what a joke.  MU biggest hose job ever. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »
Those were the days, my friend...

These are the days, my friend.

I am glad to have been around then. My dad took me to see MU as a kid and after watching Brute Force one time, I was hooked for life.

One thing to keep in mind, though. If Scoop (the internet) had been around then, it would have been the wild west here.
Al was criticized loudly and often by MU fans. Many of his teams ran at a slower pace that Bucky traditionally has. It would have been fun.

I am sure Lenny Goose can speak to this, but would Scoop ever have fun (?) over starting Neary over Toone a few years later..
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:04:08 PM by Jockey »

NCMUFan

• All American

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »
Jockey

Neary over Toone only made the action more lively. Al started same five guys every game and that never bothered me. I do agree, if scoop in Al's day we would have had a lot of fun talking about the fella's.

That Ohio State loss is probably top 2-3 most painful in my life. MU was screwed, which something I seldom say. The Miami loss in '78 almost as tough because I knew the program's race had been run. Couple of tough beats.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
Jockey

Neary over Toone only made the action more lively. Al started same five guys every game and that never bothered me. I do agree, if scoop in Al's day we would have had a lot of fun talking about the fella's.

That Ohio State loss is probably top 2-3 most painful in my life. MU was screwed, which something I seldom say. The Miami loss in '78 almost as tough because I knew the program's race had been run. Couple of tough beats.
Will never forget that Miami loss. Sat in the stands at Market Square in disbelief , had the exact same feeling.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 06:00:26 AM »
https://www.si.com/vault/1971/01/25/542222/crazy-cat-and-his-curious-warriors

Enjoyable read.  Different era.

Controversy over national anthem protests! Truly nothing new under the sun. Thanks for posting.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 06:40:45 AM »
I'm a '99 grad, so my MU knowledge is somewhat limited.

I know that McGuire spurned an NCAA invite because he was frustrated over seeding, only to win the NIT.

Question for older Warriors fans:  Was the thought that MU could've won the NCAA tournament that year?  I understand that the NIT was a bigger deal back in the day, but it sounds like we missed a golden opportunity to win a national championship (not many programs have two).

Can somebody shed some light on what was going on during that season and how Al's decision was received by fans/media?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 07:23:58 AM »
Jockey

Goose:

Miami of Ohio was still the worst. We did that to ourselves. Like ole Herm, I stood there in disbelief not understanding what just happened, though I knew it was not good. I know the flagarant foul was a bad call but there is NO WAY we ever should have let Miami be close enough to us where a call like that would matter. It was and still is absurd, 41 years later.

As for tOSU, as bad as refs can be at times (and we've all seen some bad ones), the tOSU game in Athens was the one time when I felt we were jobbed. It is the only time I can remember in my history of  following MU basketball where I felt outright racism was at play in the way the game was called. Our guys were not exactly a welcome sight at many arenas (as one can infer from the Kirkpatrick piece) but the ridiculous officiating in Athens was over the top. We didn't lose that game and even tOSU knows it.

We can only imagine what would have happened if Mr. Chones was financially able to stay in school.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 07:32:56 AM »
Goose:

Miami of Ohio was still the worst. We did that to ourselves. Like ole Herm, I stood there in disbelief not understanding what just happened, though I knew it was not good. I know the flagarant foul was a bad call but there is NO WAY we ever should have let Miami be close enough to us where a call like that would matter. It was and still is absurd, 41 years later.

As for tOSU, as bad as refs can be at times (and we've all seen some bad ones), the tOSU game in Athens was the one time when I felt we were jobbed. It is the only time I can remember in my history of  following MU basketball where I felt outright racism was at play in the way the game was called. Our guys were not exactly a welcome sight at many arenas (as one can infer from the Kirkpatrick piece) but the ridiculous officiating in Athens was over the top. We didn't lose that game and even tOSU knows it.

We can only imagine what would have happened if Mr. Chones was financially able to stay in school.

I’m still very confused why Chones couldn’t stay. Yes I have read the Al quote, but we’re talking a month or month and a half wait. Plus I thought student athletes actually could have jobs back then.  Why was he unable to have one that could’ve held him over to the end of the yea?
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 07:41:08 AM »
‘member runnin’ ta Walgreens on 16th da Thursday dis issue hit da newstands. Red da entire article while standin’ in the aisle. Den shelled out a few shekels ta have my very own copy.
Took a big time shot ta da nads in Athens watchin’ Dean fowl out. Still feels wee wooda spanked da Bruins had dat match-up occurred, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 07:51:06 AM »
I’m still very confused why Chones couldn’t stay. Yes I have read the Al quote, but we’re talking a month or month and a half wait. Plus I thought student athletes actually could have jobs back then.  Why was he unable to have one that could’ve held him over to the end of the yea?

The NBA and the ABA were at war, $ were escalating and the ABA was basically using guerrilla warfare - in this case a before the draft,  one time, take it or leave it, immediate or cancel offer. Jim could have waited for the draft in the summer, but this was guaranteed big money that eliminated all uncertainty. The biggest question mark was whether the ABA and NBA would make peace and merge, which would drive the price of labor down. Jim (advised by Al), struck when the iron was hot.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 08:03:13 AM »

I was in high school and planning to go to Marquette when Mr. Chones left. At the time, I likened it to a defection by one of our nationals to the Soviet Union. It was a downer and I felt betrayed.

Then I read the story of why Mr. Chones turned pro. Look, we probably would have had at least one and maybe two more nattys if Mr. Chones had stayed (and Mr. Lucas a couple of years later). But Mr. Chones did what was right for him and his family. I don't think he did anything any of us would not have done given the same set of circumstances.

There is a parallel story about Michael Jordan after his junior year. Michael actually wanted to stay at UNC and be graduated a year later. He went to Coach Smith who had learned Michael would be one of the top four picks in the coming draft. Coach Smith, like Coach McGuire, advised Michael to go. Both men put their players above their own interests, which made them so special!

Slim

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »
Watched the Miami of Ohio game in the floor lounge freshman year, 11th Floor - McCormick. I still throw up in my mouth a little when I hear that university named.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
dgies

You are correct, we were robbed in Athens.  I remember sitting at the Brady house, Joe Brady was the scorekeeper for MU games, and sobbing the next day with my childhood friend Tim. We lived and died MU ball and were in shock. Mind you, I was 8 years old at the time, but that loss still stings.

4ever

That team had very legit chance to knock off the Bruins and I feel NCAA wanted nothing to do with that. All that said, that was one special team.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:04:54 AM by Goose »

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 10:30:09 AM »
Watched the Miami of Ohio game in the floor lounge freshman year, 11th Floor - McCormick. I still throw up in my mouth a little when I hear that university named.

You and me both. I hate Miami of Ohio and wish a pox on them.

That said, they were the beneficiary of play by us that was not worthy of the number 2 team in the nation. That day, we should have been better. Period.

feedback