collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBC says Olympic host Mike Tirico’s sexual harassment at ESPN is old news  (Read 2570 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
We now live in a new world ... is NBC (home of Matt Lauer) going to able to stay with this position?

NBC says Olympic host Mike Tirico’s sexual harassment at ESPN is old news
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/12/07/nbcs-mike-tirico-to-anchor-olympics-despite-multiple-allegations-sexual-harassment-while-at-espn.html

NBC’s latest controversy comes at the hands of Mike Tirico, who is set to anchor the embattled network’s coverage of the upcoming Winter Olympics despite a past that includes various allegations of sexual harassment, including stalking, groping and making explicit comments to female colleagues.

Tirico left ESPN in 2016 to join NBC Sports and is scheduled to replace broadcasting legend Bob Costas as the prime-time host of the 2018 Olympic Games from PyeongChang, South Korea, which will kick off on Feb. 9.

All of the allegations against Tirico came when he was employed at ESPN, but it appears NBC is willing to look the other way despite an ongoing change in culture across the media landscape that has resulted in many high-profile dismissals for similar misconduct.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
lock this BS.  we all know where it's going

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
lock this BS.  we all know where it's going

Might as well. Everyone who has done this will be fired except for one chimpanzee-sired orange pig.

real chili 83

• All American
 Ban hammer^^^  Chico’s level obnoxious.

In before the lock 

tower912

• All American
I predict he will eventually be dismissed.   Just drawing the contrast further. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
I predict he will eventually be dismissed.   Just drawing the contrast further.

My earlier comment was intended to be snarky - but the question I was trying to ask in that snarky way was:

What are the current standards for dealing with men who have abused women? Why are some instantly demonized while others feel no fallout at all? Who decides who should resign and who should stay? Are there differences in the way that harassment / assault should be judged? Are there different degrees?

MU82

• All American
My earlier comment was intended to be snarky - but the question I was trying to ask in that snarky way was:

What are the current standards for dealing with men who have abused women? Why are some instantly demonized while others feel no fallout at all? Who decides who should resign and who should stay? Are there differences in the way that harassment / assault should be judged? Are there different degrees?

Although I find these all to be serious, legitimate questions, I think I'll stay out of this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American

Great questions all.    I think the answers to all of them are now in flux.     What used to be kept hush hush is now being brought out into the open.   Organizations and individuals are making judgments based on the best information available and their own experience.  I thing there is going to be a recalibration of all these things.    I can't even guess what the end game will be.    And there are some questions that can't be answered without getting political.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Great questions all.    I think the answers to all of them are now in flux.     What used to be kept hush hush is now being brought out into the open.   Organizations and individuals are making judgments based on the best information available and their own experience.  I thing there is going to be a recalibration of all these things.    I can't even guess what the end game will be.    And there are some questions that can't be answered without getting political.

Agree ...

When I started this thread, I was not trying to be political.  I was asking what Jockey asked and what Tower answered.  Who stays and who goes and why?

Why is Tirico's transgression not enough for him to go but other that did similar things (in Hollywood) being forced out?

tower912

• All American
Dear diary, agreed with 1.21 Jigawatt on something.    World turned upside down.   

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: NBC says Olympic host Mike Tirico’s sexual harassment at ESPN is old news
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »
we are going to have to find some discretion here.  right now it's being used as a political hatchet to remove  hang nails.  what the standard will be remains to be seen.  now please do not read in to this thinking i'm for "some" sexual harassment as i can see that coming.  NO, i am not!  but both political parties need to stop weaponizing this and and allow legitimate accusations fall where they should.  the same for the work place.  this is not a one size fits all, but i hope this doesn't get into "elevator eyes and dirty jokes.  some of that can be handled on the spot and if one is uncomfortable with something, tell them.  cheezus, in these days of camera phones, security cameras, etc, it's a wonder how one can get away with anything.   
don't...don't don't don't don't

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
we are going to have to find some discretion here.  right now it's being used as a political hatchet to remove  hang nails.  what the standard will be remains to be seen.  now please do not read in to this thinking i'm for "some" sexual harassment as i can see that coming.  NO, i am not!  but both political parties need to stop weaponizing this and and allow legitimate accusations fall where they should.  the same for the work place.  this is not a one size fits all, but i hope this doesn't get into "elevator eyes and dirty jokes.  some of that can be handled on the spot and if one is uncomfortable with something, tell them.  cheezus, in these days of camera phones, security cameras, etc, it's a wonder how one can get away with anything.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but exactly which cases are you talking about where political parties have made up sexual harassment allegations in an attempt to undermine a political rival?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 01:36:07 PM »
we are going to have to find some discretion here.  right now it's being used as a political hatchet to remove  hang nails.  what the standard will be remains to be seen.  now please do not read in to this thinking i'm for "some" sexual harassment as i can see that coming.  NO, i am not!  but both political parties need to stop weaponizing this and and allow legitimate accusations fall where they should.

Sorry but who is "weaponizing" this?  Pretty much everyone who has been accused has admitted doing at least something inappropriate.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 03:14:05 PM »
I'm not saying you're wrong, but exactly which cases are you talking about where political parties have made up sexual harassment allegations in an attempt to undermine a political rival?

did i say anyone has "made up" allegations?  if i did, i was misunderstood.  just anyone trying to undermine anyone.  it needs to be taken on it's own merit

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 03:16:18 PM »

Sorry but who is "weaponizing" this?  Pretty much everyone who has been accused has admitted doing at least something inappropriate.

i think you know what i mean

yes, i agree

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 03:21:48 PM »
i think you know what i mean

yes, i agree

I do not know what you mean. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »

I do not know what you mean.

well, i'm not stepping in to that one with you because it turns into a mess.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
"Weaponizing"      Disagree with the term, disagree with the underlying assumptions that I project on you using the word. 
     Over the last several weeks, accusations have been made against straight men, gay men, men in politics, men in media but overall, conservative men, liberal men,  men in a position of power of some sort. 
   Prior to that, accusations were made against  and settlements paid out and ergo silence purchased by the same group.   Straight men, gay men, men in politics, men in media, men in political media, but overall, men in a position of power of some sort.

The difference now is the sheer volume of people coming forward and the volume of people being accused.     This isn't new.   This has occurred as long as there has been sex and people in positions of power.      Right now, the stigma is dissolving and the fear of speaking out is being removed.    And the current assumption is that the women (or men) are telling the truth?    Why the assumption?     Because deep down, we have known this has been going on and have chosen to not thing about it. 

Will it get down to 'elevator eyes' and off-color jokes?    I don't know.    I DO know that we (the communal we of the city employees) have all been warned that complaints can be filed because of these things.    To my knowledge, it hasn't happened here.    Are you willing to test it?    What would happen to your practice if it became known that you regularly made off color jokes and looked down your patient's blouses?   I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BELIEVE THIS TO BE THE CASE.   But it only takes a couple of complaints. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:39:29 PM by tower912 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 04:02:17 PM »
  did i say anyone has "made up" allegations?  if i did, i was misunderstood.  just anyone trying to undermine anyone.  it needs to be taken on it's own merit

Then I guess I don't understand your "weaponizing" comment. If the allegations against Franken, Moore, Conyers, Trump, etc are not made up, then there should be people calling for their resignation and they should step down.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
I guess I don't understand the "elevator eyes" and "off color joke" thing either. I have absolutely had elevator eyes and told off color jokes before. I will in the future. I have never done either at work, nor have I felt the desire to. It's a professional environment and those aren't professional behaviors. Save those for when you're off the clock.
TAMU

feedback