'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best Way to Support the Program?  (Read 5489 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Best Way to Support the Program?
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2023, 08:50:51 PM »
If I remember it right, Jim Chones came to McGuire and said I'm leaving. And Al said he should give it another year and develop and Jim said I need to go for the money. My family has no food in the fridge. And Al said you go. You're already good enough.
Think you have that backward.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2023, 08:54:36 PM »
Any idea what % of the donations go to the athletes and what % goes to admininstration of the collective?

Administrative costs are going to be high in the first few years just like any other startup enterprise. You probably won't get a real idea of the true percentage for awhile.

Have some patience, FFS.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2023, 08:58:56 PM »
Should just set up a GOFundme.  I think they only take 3%.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2023, 09:02:41 PM »
Administrative costs are going to be high in the first few years just like any other startup enterprise. You probably won't get a real idea of the true percentage for awhile.

But the $ paid to the athletes is always technically an administrative cost right?  I’m not trying to be obtuse, but there is a bit of an inherent tension in creating a 501(c)(3) for the purpose of paying that org’s employees. Like how does the collective determine how much is paid to each athlete? Is it at the same rate/hr? Any differences would have to be tied to that athlete’s role in furthering the collective’s charitable purpose, irrespective of his or her value on the NIL market as an athlete, correct?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2023, 03:26:36 AM »
But the $ paid to the athletes is always technically an administrative cost right?  I’m not trying to be obtuse, but there is a bit of an inherent tension in creating a 501(c)(3) for the purpose of paying that org’s employees. Like how does the collective determine how much is paid to each athlete? Is it at the same rate/hr? Any differences would have to be tied to that athlete’s role in furthering the collective’s charitable purpose, irrespective of his or her value on the NIL market as an athlete, correct?

They may classify the payments to athletes as a program expense versus an administrative one. For instance, compensation paid to faculty members is likely classified that way on Marquette’s 990.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2023, 05:48:39 AM »
What the hell is going on here? Fundraisers? NIL $$$ The players on this team made decisions to come here. Some were easier than others as is understandable. Players are offered scholarships. Do I go here, do I go there? These players were committed to Marquette. They weren't offered briefcases full of money. They are playing for the experience of high level bb. Period. They will be back next year to develop even more and be final four team next year. No body needs to hand any of them an envelope. I see character and commitment. Trust, and you shall be rewarded.

It's 2023, and we live in the real world.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback