[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Is Rowsey going to lead or sulk?  (Read 11423 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Is Rowsey going to lead or sulk?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 12:06:56 PM »

The Brillance is overwhelming.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »
I strongly advocate Rowsey playing well instead of playing poorly.

I also would prefer a good game from Rowsey tomorrow to another Scoop poll.

I'm also coming out on the side of preferring a victory over Vermont as opposed to a loss.

Yep, this is me, taking some courageous stances.

I can see why you are a HOF voter!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 01:03:59 PM »
I can see why you are a HOF voter!

I'm not in the HoF yet. Hopeful of getting in this year, though!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mufvr

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
I think Rowsey will be fine.  Saturday was a disaster and it's hard to speculate to what led to that.  I give him credit for playing a position he's never played on a big stage.  More often than not his performance has been solid.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 02:29:56 PM »
Is Wojo also responsible for Markus's 2 fouls in the first minute?  Is he responsible for TC, DW or HC jumping ship?

I am very pleased with the overall direction of the program, I would just like to see some veteran leadership.

You think the coach has nothing to do with guys transferring out of the program? A guy like Deonte leaving when he has family issues is one thing, but these guys didn't have anything going on outside the program to draw them away that I'm aware of. Losing a number of guys mid-year doesn't seem to be the norm for college hoops, so I do think some of this falls on Wojo.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »
You think the coach has nothing to do with guys transferring out of the program? A guy like Deonte leaving when he has family issues is one thing, but these guys didn't have anything going on outside the program to draw them away that I'm aware of. Losing a number of guys mid-year doesn't seem to be the norm for college hoops, so I do think some of this falls on Wojo.
Just watched the most recent edition of Inside Marquette on Spectrum.  Wojo once again very clearly stated that Haanif’s situation was a PERSONAL FAMILY MATTER.  He has said this now in several ways.  I believe him.  Btw, Traci had home issues as well.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 02:48:57 PM »
Just watched the most recent edition of Inside Marquette on Spectrum.  Wojo once again very clearly stated that Haanif’s situation was a PERSONAL FAMILY MATTER.  He has said this now in several ways.  I believe him.  Btw, Traci had home issues as well.

Right, and LiAngelo Ball leaving UCLA was just a personal matter as well. PR is one thing, reality is another. Maybe he's being up front this time, and maybe he's not. The fact is, there have been a lot of guys leaving Wojo mid-season, and that's concerning to me.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »

Jon Rothstein
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Marquette transfer Traci Carter tells me that he will visit New Mexico State tomorrow. Also plans to visit both Iona and Hofstra.
5:16 AM · Jan 2, 2017

Again, can’t it be both?

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
Tough one to call.  If he doesn't buck up and be a leader then I couldn't see justifying playing a smurf that is turning the ball over consistently, playing hero ball, and not putting forth the defensive effort.  Who would succumb to that as a coach and create a cancer in the team chemistry?  I don't see Wojo as a guy that is going to coddle someone.  I seem him more of as a next man up type mentality.  AR is not an 18 year old freshman that doesn't get it.  He is in his 5th year.

Perhaps another poster is right in that like others he thinks he is better then he is.  You can't justify playing a 5'9" guy if he isn't putting forth the effort.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 04:16:21 PM »
Rowsey will be back with a vengeance.  No worries.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »
Right, and LiAngelo Ball leaving UCLA was just a personal matter as well. PR is one thing, reality is another. Maybe he's being up front this time, and maybe he's not. The fact is, there have been a lot of guys leaving Wojo mid-season, and that's concerning to me.
Well It was a personal matter of his own doing
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:42:56 PM by Newsdreams »
Goal is National Championship

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 05:23:14 PM »
Tough one to call.  If he doesn't buck up and be a leader then I couldn't see justifying playing a smurf that is turning the ball over consistently, playing hero ball, and not putting forth the defensive effort.  Who would succumb to that as a coach and create a cancer in the team chemistry?  I don't see Wojo as a guy that is going to coddle someone.  I seem him more of as a next man up type mentality.  AR is not an 18 year old freshman that doesn't get it.  He is in his 5th year.

Perhaps another poster is right in that like others he thinks he is better then he is.  You can't justify playing a 5'9" guy if he isn't putting forth the effort.
Whether he was sulking or not is irrelevant. He did have a bad game. However, it should be clear to everyone that the team has its best chance of winning is when both Howard and Rowsey are on the floor. No one wants to considered that some of the blame for the Georgia loss should be on Howard. We have three scorers and at least one of them is on in every game. Howard was on in that game, but he took himself out of the game for most of the first half, because he got two fouls in the first minute. That had as much to do with losing that game than any other. Howard last season and so far this season has gotten fouls trying to defend a big man. Howard has been in foul trouble several times, while Rowsey generally does not foul. Rowsey needs to play better than he did against Georgia and Howard has to stop getting fouls that limit his playing time.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 08:20:20 PM »
I think Rowsey will be fine.  Saturday was a disaster and it's hard to speculate to what led to that.  I give him credit for playing a position he's never played on a big stage.  More often than not his performance has been solid.

Agree.  I was at the game.  Was impressed by watching Rowsey shoot more balls in warm ups than everyone else.  He stayed on Court to keep shooting after the team ran into the locker room.  Yes, he had an “off game.”  But, we are very lucky to have him.  He will help us win more than not.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 05:53:37 PM »
In ALL seriousness, many on here said Wojo coached up Matt Carlino and made him better, I hope Wojo coaches Rowsey up just as much. If any chance of having a decent season, Rowsey needs to be a big contributor. If he cannot be that, I would sit him down and play the young guys. Would prefer for young guys to get real playing time and get ready for next year.

Well either Wojo coached him up, BYU's coach coached him down, or coaches have zero impact on how good a player is because Carlino's last season at Marquette was significantly better than any of his seasons at BYU by any statistical measure.

And like you criticized scoopers for dismissing Car3no early in the season, I think the same could be said for Rowsey now. This board has a history of trashing players they deem to be selfish chuckers based on a few early season performances. They did it with Car3no, they did it with Hank, they did it with Katin, and now Rowsey is in the crosshairs. We will see how it plays out, but I think Rowsey settles down and finds his role again before long.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:57:49 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
Again, can’t it be both?

Yep.

I'm sure Traci and Haanif had family issues that led them to transfer. I'm also sure that if they were featured more prominently in the offense that they would have stayed in spite of those family issues.
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »
Tamu

Sounds good. I hope Rowsey settles in big time. If not, it is a losing season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 09:10:20 PM »
Tonight the answer is lead.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 09:26:26 PM »
This was a nice rebound game for Rowsey. When he looks to distribute, he can really help create some nice opportunities for other guys. He still had a few ill-advised shots and drives, but on the whole, this was a pretty darn good outing for him. I'll take 13 and 10 from him any day.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »
This was a nice rebound game for Rowsey. When he looks to distribute, he can really help create some nice opportunities for other guys. He still had a few ill-advised shots and drives, but on the whole, this was a pretty darn good outing for him. I'll take 13 and 10 from him anyone any day.
FIFY

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 10:23:53 PM »
Tonight the answer is lead.

Absolutely!  This is what I want to see from our lone senior.  Drew needs to bring it on Saturday, too! 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »
Well either Wojo coached him up, BYU's coach coached him down, or coaches have zero impact on how good a player is because Carlino's last season at Marquette was significantly better than any of his seasons at BYU by any statistical measure.

And like you criticized scoopers for dismissing Car3no early in the season, I think the same could be said for Rowsey now. This board has a history of trashing players they deem to be selfish chuckers based on a few early season performances. They did it with Car3no, they did it with Hank, they did it with Katin, and now Rowsey is in the crosshairs. We will see how it plays out, but I think Rowsey settles down and finds his role again before long.

Two things about last night. First, read the game thread from last night and you will see a lot of posts trashing Rowsey despite his 13 point, 10 assist, 1 turnover game. The comments stopped after the game because I think they finally looked at his statline and realized how well he played. Second, Rowsey found his role last night. It was one game so I'm not going to get overexcited about it. Let's see if it becomes a pattern.
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »
I think the only bad thing Rowsey did was at the end of the first half when he dribbled forever and launched a bad shot.  But that shouldn't overshadow what was a really solid performance otherwise.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
I think the only bad thing Rowsey did was at the end of the first half when he dribbled forever and launched a bad shot.  But that shouldn't overshadow what was a really solid performance otherwise.

There was a fast break where he stood at half court instead of trying to get back to the basket to stop it. That was a bit frustrating
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
There was a fast break where he stood at half court instead of trying to get back to the basket to stop it. That was a bit frustrating

Pretty sure he was trying to draw a charge.  The kid looked out of control at first.  Credit to the Vermont kid, he got control,  sidestepped Rowsey and made him look silly
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »

My view of that.  He was indecisive about charging forward to try and get the loose ball or, alternatively, retreating to play D.  It was like the gas/brake moment as a light turns yellow.  I chalked it up to a brain cramp, not laziness.