[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Purdue or PurDON'T?  (Read 9654 times)

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
Purdue or PurDON'T?
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »

This Purdue game has MAJOR ramifications for both teams' non-con resumes, does MU even have a chance!?

The Real Chilly Podcast breaks down the beatdown on The Mount, and previews the big Tuesday night Bradley Center showdown.

To kill some clock before Tuesday night, hit the links below:

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/podcasts-real-chilly/id1161254067
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-454605464/the-first-true-test
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmUvxPnDRM8&feature=em-upload_owner
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
Re: Purdue or PurDON'T?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »
After watching Purdue, they are very experienced and really good.  They shoot the ball like MU, so whomever is hitting there 3's tomorrow will probably win.  Besides
Haas, they are small in the backcourt as well.  Forwards are not overly big, so MU should be OK there.  MU can not let Purdue sit outside and shoot threes, like Lindenwood did.  That will be a disaster.  Matt can not foul out as I am not sure Theo can guard Haas yet.  Rowsey and Howard need big games.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:36:24 AM »
After watching Purdue, they are very experienced and really good.  They shoot the ball like MU, so whomever is hitting there 3's tomorrow will probably win.  Besides
Haas, they are small in the backcourt as well.  Forwards are not overly big, so MU should be OK there.  MU can not let Purdue sit outside and shoot threes, like Lindenwood did.  That will be a disaster.  Matt can not foul out as I am not sure Theo can guard Haas yet.  Rowsey and Howard need big games.
I am looking forward to a solid game from our Big 3 of Rowsey, Markus and Sam. The ball will find its way to the guy who has the hot hand among those three.  Looking for Haanif, Sacar and Matt to compete hard and build off their good work against MSM. Theo will give us 5 more fouls against Haas. If we get a few hustle minutes each  out of Greg and Jamal that will be a bonus.

Purdue is tough, but we have the fire power to compete. So this should be a close high scoring game. Hopefully, we get some decent fan turnout.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
I'm expecting a loss. A win would be a huge resume boost but I view this game as a free chip at the roulette table.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
I don't think it will be as lopsided as that Iowa debacle, but I think the emotional feel for those in the building might be the same. I think Matt and Theo both have massive challenges to stay out of foul trouble against their two 7'2" monsters, Haas and Haarms. I also don't like the outside shooting matchup. This is one of the few teams that can drain threes like us (they were 7th in the country at 40.3% last year) but they have more length on the perimeter which gives them the edge in that they can shoot over our guards but we'll be harder pressed to shoot over theirs.

I think Purdue stakes a sizable lead early and maintains one of those insurmountable feeling 8-12 point leads the entire game long.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
I'm expecting a loss. A win would be a huge resume boost but I view this game as a free chip at the roulette table.
Hmm.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
Big matt is gonna have clamps on Haas #GoMarquette

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
MU should double team Haas every time he gets in inside the paint, if both teams are chucking up 3s i think we win but if haas is dominating and matt gets in trouble it could be Iowa all over again

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
A lot of focus is on Haas because of his size, but he's honestly their fourth or fifth best player.

I don't think this will be as bad as Iowa...but I don't think it will be as good as Michigan last season. I'm expecting somewhere between those two debacles. If we do better, I'll be happy. If we win, I'll be ecstatic.

Don't get me wrong, I like our team this season, I just think they are the worst matchup on our schedule this season. I like our chances against Nova more than I do against Purdue.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »
I've never looked at this game on the schedule as a W.  But it is a game we certainly could win.  Think it will be a first team to 85 wins type of game.  Hopefully we're hitting our three. If not, could be ugly.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 01:24:50 PM »
PurDID! 

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
I just wagered $10 bucks with my Purdue alum coworker. We got this!

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 02:24:29 PM »
We can stay with them, need big games from sam, markus, rowsey and heldt

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 04:04:28 PM »
I just wagered $10 bucks with my Purdue alum coworker. We got this!
Bring your wallet on Wednesday.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 04:10:14 PM »
Bring your wallet on Wednesday.
But not any other day.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »
Well, we easily handled Mt. St. Mary's who received 4 votes in the AP poll today.  So maybe we are pretty good...or the AP doesn't have a damn clue what they are voting on.

Also, slightly amazing that we beat a team easily and probably could have beat them by 40+ if we didn't run the Frosh...but they get 4 votes and we get none.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 04:19:19 PM »
Well, we easily handled Mt. St. Mary's who received 4 votes in the AP poll today.  So maybe we are pretty good...or the AP doesn't have a damn clue what they are voting on.

Also, slightly amazing that we beat a team easily and probably could have beat them by 40+ if we didn't run the Frosh...but they get 4 votes and we get none.

I was convinced you had confused St. Mary's and Mt. St. Mary's so I had to look.  What the what?  How did they receive any votes?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 04:30:44 PM »
I was convinced you had confused St. Mary's and Mt. St. Mary's so I had to look.  What the what?  How did they receive any votes?
Voters actually made the same mistake you thought Forgetful made?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »

Wow. That has got to be one voter meaning to put St. Mary's as #21 but listing Mount St. Mary's.
TAMU

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:50 PM »
Voters actually made the same mistake you thought Forgetful made?

Elton Alexander from the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. Must’ve put the wrong St. Mary’s at 22.

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/elton-alexander/2017/week-2

Room510

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 05:10:57 PM »
KenPom Game Predict has the score as Purdue 80, Marquette 79
Vegas has Purdue -4

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 05:17:54 PM »
Big matt is gonna have clamps on Haas #GoMarquette

MU should double team Haas every time he gets in inside the paint, if both teams are chucking up 3s i think we win but if haas is dominating and matt gets in trouble it could be Iowa all over again

Huh? Which one is it?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 05:30:56 PM »
Vegas has Purdue -4

For “fun” I looked at the KenPom predictions for the Iowa and Michigan games in recent seasons.

Iowa 73, MU 72 (reality: lost by 28)
MU 74, Michigan 73 (reality: lost by 18)

I know this has no bearing on tomorrow, just mentally preparing myself for MU to get smashed.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 06:27:55 PM »
We got this.

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 06:30:42 PM »
MU probably won't win, but if they get destroyed, there is something wrong with the program.

Is the talent Wojo recruited that piss-poor that they can't compete with the #20 team on MU's home court?

And Wojo isn't a rookie coach anymore.  No excuses for this not being a good game.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »
MU probably won't win, but if they get destroyed, there is something wrong with the program.

Is the talent Wojo recruited that piss-poor that they can't compete with the #20 team on MU's home court?

And Wojo isn't a rookie coach anymore.  No excuses for this not being a good game.

You’re right we’ve never beaten a top 20 program on our floor...  ::)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »
You’re right we’ve never beaten a top 20 program on our floor...  ::)

His comment is kind of extreme but the sentiment is right.  At some point the results have to match the recruiting promise.  If not this year - next. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
His comment is kind of extreme but the sentiment is right.  At some point the results have to match the recruiting promise.  If not this year - next.

Next year I completely agree. We’re all so caught up in this being Wojos team but because Duane and Sandy left the classes aren’t balanced. This is a young team and I expect frustration (not 14-15 frustration though)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 07:47:38 PM »
Purdue is a tough draw. For many reasons, including them playing in the World University Games as Team USA. Their season started long before all other D-I schools. Hope for the best. #Pray
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2017, 07:55:33 PM »

Hilltopper, get rid of this guy.

K thnx.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
Next year I completely agree. We’re all so caught up in this being Wojos team but because Duane and Sandy left the classes aren’t balanced. This is a young team and I expect frustration (not 14-15 frustration though)

I'm tired of watching a young and inexperienced team - but hey at this point next year makes sense.  I am hopeful this years team makes steady progress and makes some noise in the Beast...and plays defense. That's all I need for Christmas. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »

the #20 ranking may or may not be accurate.  we shall see.  i can just hear ya now-when we beat them, purdue is over-rated, eyn'a?

is this another direct tv only (sorry McBan)  game?? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2017, 09:21:59 PM »
Wow. That has got to be one voter meaning to put St. Mary's as #21 but listing Mount St. Mary's.

Elton Alexander from the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. Must’ve put the wrong St. Mary’s at 22.

http://collegepolltracker.com/basketball/pollster/elton-alexander/2017/week-2

This makes a lot of sense I was trying to figure out how someone could have done that.  Pretty funny though.  MU is so tough that losing by 21 to us gets you votes...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 09:47:25 PM »
Nattering nabobs of negativism.

Go Warriors!

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »
I looked at purdue message boards and they think they are going to win unless we shoot the ball like last year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 10:29:23 PM »

Unless the players get into a physical altercation during the game, there is never a situation where 1 game is symbiotic of something being wrong with a program. Good teams get blown out. Bad teams win games they shouldn't.
TAMU

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2017, 10:30:13 PM »
Nattering nabobs of negativism.

Go Warriors!

Thanks Frank

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »
Unless the players get into a physical altercation during the game, there is never a situation where 1 game is symbiotic of something being wrong with a program. Good teams get blown out. Bad teams win games they shouldn't.

But if the game turns into a free for all physical altercation, I think I'd put my money on Theo John.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »
Carsen vs Howard (if ankle healthy for Markus) should be a matchup that brings out the very best in Markus. If Markus doesn't show up like that Rowsey we know will. Outside of Carsen, Haas, Vince Edwards there is not a player on Purdue that makes you scared. I have seen alot of Purdue games in the last few years and Haas absolutely sucks against a small line up...I would not be surprised to see Hauser at the 5 tonight. Haas is HUGE but his post game is not overly polished and if we go small his getting out to the perimeter and his keeping up on the break limit him severely. All comes down to our shooting, not just 3 ball but mid-range as well there wont be much to come by at the rim if Haas just camps down there.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
Darn, gonna miss this game...at least son can use the tix.

Prediction: MU win.
Reason:
 1. we’re better than we collectively think.
 2. I’m going to miss the game and Murphy’s law has an axiom that states that means something great will happen

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »
I don't think we see an Iowa style blowout, but more like a 8-12 point loss that seems like a loss for most of the second half.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 09:19:59 AM »
Carsen vs Howard (if ankle healthy for Markus) should be a matchup that brings out the very best in Markus. If Markus doesn't show up like that Rowsey we know will. Outside of Carsen, Haas, Vince Edwards there is not a player on Purdue that makes you scared. I have seen alot of Purdue games in the last few years and Haas absolutely sucks against a small line up...I would not be surprised to see Hauser at the 5 tonight. Haas is HUGE but his post game is not overly polished and if we go small his getting out to the perimeter and his keeping up on the break limit him severely. All comes down to our shooting, not just 3 ball but mid-range as well there wont be much to come by at the rim if Haas just camps down there.
If Markus and haany show up i think we have a good chance.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 09:27:31 AM »
Anyone know what time the game actually starts tonight? The website says 7:30pm but my tickets say 8pm

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2017, 09:28:20 AM »
Anyone know what time the game actually starts tonight? The website says 7:30pm but my tickets say 8pm
7:30

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »
This makes a lot of sense I was trying to figure out how someone could have done that.  Pretty funny though.  MU is so tough that losing by 21 to us gets you votes...

FWIW - MSM lost at ND last night 88-62
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

PistolBrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
Totally agree that Hauser should see time at the 5.  They key to beating Haas is to keep him out of the paint and Hauser's lower center of gravity should help with that.  On offense Haas will not be able to even come close to guarding Hauser.  I wouldn't be surprised if MU goes small and Haas' minutes are very limited

2012 Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »
Vegas line moved to Purdue -5 already...  :-[

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »

Matthias is a glue guy who makes a big difference for them.  Energy guy who can hit 20 plus and plays defense.

As JayBee explained, the experience of the World University Games is huge early in the season and predict a 15 point Purdue win.  Marquette will get better as the season goes along, but this is a tough game early in the year.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
Tip time 7:45pm as it's a FS1 DH.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »
What are the World university games and how do we rep the USA for them? Does it count as an international trip?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »

Where do we even start with dopey comments like this?

In 1976-77, Al lost on our home court to #20 Minnesota, #17 Louisville, #15 Detroit, and unranked DePaul and Wichita State. The latter three came in consecutive games. Al shoulda been fired on the spot!!

In 1993-94, KO lost at home to Green Bay, Cincinnati and ND, all unranked. KO shoulda been fired on the spot!!

In 2002-03, TC didn't suffer any bad home losses. But he did lose back-to-back road games to East Carolina and Dayton. TC shoulda been fired on the spot.

In 2011-12, Buzz got crushed at home by Vanderbilt. Buzz shoulda been fired on the spot.

In 2012-13, Buzz lost at Green Bay. Not only should he have been fired on the spot but the program shoulda been canceled.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »
Where do we even start with dopey comments like this?
Not dopey, he's a troll.  Every comment is a shot at MU.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2017, 11:28:02 AM »
Matthias is a glue guy who makes a big difference for them.  Energy guy who can hit 20 plus and plays defense.

As JayBee explained, the experience of the World University Games is huge early in the season and predict a 15 point Purdue win.  Marquette will get better as the season goes along, but this is a tough game early in the year.

Matthias is a great player I just refuse to think any MU player is gonna let a dude named Dakota Matthias make them look bad. Guy's name is one of my favorite in NCAA. Plays great D...But his name's Dakota Matthias....-5 in the toughness rating

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »
Vegas has Purdue -4

Sports book -5 Purdue and 83 percent of money on Purdue.  Easy money for underrated and young  MU  team early in year
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:34:42 AM by Knight Commission »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
Sports book -5 Purdue and 83 percent of money on Purdue.  Easy money for underrated and young  MU  team early in year

I may see if that can get up to -6 and take MU (which I never do).

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2017, 12:16:19 PM »
Kenpom has us at a 45% chance to win

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »
I'm RV' ing up for the game tonight with some friends?  I know of buck Bradley's and Turner's any place better then the other or any new places?   I have not been in MKE since last FEB?

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2017, 12:21:45 PM »
I'm RV' ing up for the game tonight with some friends?  I know of buck Bradley's and Turner's any place better then the other or any new places?   I have not been in MKE since last FEB?

I hear there's a pretty decent place opening tonight called Your RV.
Let us all know where the official Scoop pregame and postgame party will be parked.
Thanks
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
Look for a RV with IL plates!  The Drives name is Dog Man.  LOL.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 01:24:43 PM »
Worth the drive. win tonight.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 01:46:33 PM »
Rowsey-Hauser-Howard are going on a balogna-dropping mission tonight.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »
I married a Purdue alum, and have been leary of her cooking the past 24 hours out of fear of being poisoned.

I echo the sentiments of a lot of posters.  Their 3 point shooting is explosive and contagious, however I think the biggest key for us is how we defend Vincent Edwards.  Can we stay in front of him defensively, and keep him from slashing to the hoop/crashing the offensive glass???

My two boys better choose the right team to cheer for tonight.