'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will Froling be a difference maker  (Read 8024 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Will Froling be a difference maker
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
I might be in the minority, but I believe he will make a difference. At this point, Matt is not ready to be an everyday contributor against top teams. He has a long to go, IMO and am skeptical if he ever gets to a level of being anything beyond a ten minute a night backup. I have fingers crossed on Froling.

Put me in that minority too. I'm hoping for Froling to be Henry light. I have no doubts the staff recruited him with that kind of role in mind.

A 20-30 minute, 10/6 type guy that can both take it inside and also step out to hit the occasional three. While I don't expect all Big East, I do think that type of player is exactly what we need to take pressure off the shooters and keep defenses honest inside. If he can play a lick of defense while posing some offensive threat at the 4/5, I think it significantly increases our ceiling.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »
Put me in that minority too. I'm hoping for Froling to be Henry light. I have no doubts the staff recruited him with that kind of role in mind.

A 20-30 minute, 10/6 type guy that can both take it inside and also step out to hit the occasional three. While I don't expect all Big East, I do think that type of player is exactly what we need to take pressure off the shooters and keep defenses honest inside. If he can play a lick of defense while posing some offensive threat at the 4/5, I think it significantly increases our ceiling.
I'm with you in your take. From what I've read good midrange & decent 3. What I expect when at the 5 he wont be a back to the basket player I see him near or close to FT line, then teams take their poison don't guard him and he makes easy 2, guard him your 5 will be out of position for penetrations and/ or off rebounds by Sam/Anim/Cheats. I can also see him moving to the 4 giving Sam rest and Theo playing the 5 with Cain or Elliot in. Right now in non cupcake games if either Cain/Elliot on floor Theo is usually out as we would be too inexperienced.
Goal is National Championship

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
I'm with you in your take. From what I've read good midrange & decent 3. What I expect when at the 5 he wont be a back to the basket player I see him near or close to FT line, then teams take their poison don't guard him and he makes easy 2, guard him your 5 will be out of position for penetrations and/ or off rebounds by Sam/Anim/Cheats. I can also see him moving to the 4 giving Sam rest and Theo playing the 5 with Cain or Elliot in. Right now in non cupcake games if either Cain/Elliot on floor Theo is usually out as we would be too inexperienced.
Based on the STH scrimmage last month, Harry will be more out wide.  But, definitely not a back to the basket guy.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2017, 02:22:28 PM »
We had 15 offensive rebounds against VCU.

i was referring mainly to the purdue game-6 offensive boards.  seemed like we were 1 and done-A LOT
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »
+1. Rebounding is sooooo much better than last year.  Please don't judge based on PU or WSU.  No team will rebound against PU.

just saw your post glow after my response to vander-i can heed your advice-you know i'm rootin' for them
don't...don't don't don't don't

onepost

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2017, 04:14:32 PM »
Froling will absolutely be a difference maker.  There's no question.  I contend that he'll be the starting C sooner rather than later.  Just adds so much more than Matt, especially now that he's lost the weight.

A small ball lineup of Rowsey, Howard, Elliot/Anim, Hauser, Froling could be a nightmare for opposing defenses come BE play.  The room that Froling's shooting will create will give all of those guys much easier shots than the circus shots Markus and Rowsey had to hit against WSU.  Interested to see his moves down low and what he's developed in the last year.  And I'm curious to see a John/Froling 4/5 if we need to match the size of Nova, Seton Hall, etc.  But we'll see.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2017, 04:19:14 PM »
Frolings Achilles heel is his defense.  Was really bad against bad opponents last season. Limited sample size but it is a concern.

I could see a lineup of Markus,  Rowdy,  Sammy, Harry,  and Theo being really fun. Four shooters and Tarzan under the hoop. Harry could guard the five and I think Theo might be quick enough to cover the four
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
Frolings Achilles heel is his defense.  Was really bad against bad opponents last season. Limited sample size but it is a concern.

I could see a lineup of Markus,  Rowdy,  Sammy, Harry,  and Theo being really fun. Four shooters and Tarzan under the hoop. Harry could guard the five and I think Theo might be quick enough to cover the four

He'll fit right in...we ain't defending anything in the paint so far any way.  We need his scoring and five fouls more than his defense.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 02:18:39 PM by Dr. Blackheart »