collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Grand Canyon  (Read 3531 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Grand Canyon
« on: November 12, 2017, 04:46:27 PM »
Taking the family to Scottsdale for Thanksgiving week. Gonna make the drive to the Grand Canyon for a day. Anybody with tips/recommendations? I "think" there's a few entrances on the South end, any one better than the other? Does it matter on buying the $30 vehicle pass ahead of time? With 3 young kids, and only a few hours there, what's best to see?

Thanks in advance Scoopers.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Grand Canyon
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:05:48 PM »
You can see a lot at Grand Canyon Village.  Nice visitor center, lodge, restaurants.  I would recommend staying versus 8 hours in a car back and forth.

Note, there is likely to be snow. Dress for cold. North Rim might be shut down (you have no time to get over there any way but for folks who might from Las Vegas). 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:15:30 PM »
Okay Dish, I've been there many, many times.

There's essentially 2 routes into Grand Canyon from the south at Flagstaff.  Both converge near Valle. You'll want to come in either via the scenic route on US 180 or be a bit quicker going west on Int. 40 to Williams and north up AZ 64.  What you don't want to do is drive north up US 89 to the east entrance.

As to what to do.  The main visitor center is outstanding and where everyone should start.  From there, it's a short walk to Mather Point, probably the best overlook on the south rim (and why the visitor center is built where it is.)

Next would be to visit the historic hotel zone.  Things like the Kolb Studio, El Tovar Hotel, and Bright Angel Lodge and the historic 'front porch' walkway are not to be missed.  Good place to get a meal in one of those restaurants.

And while there, do one more thing.  Fewer than 10% of the folks that visit the canyon ever get below the rim.  Less than 1% have ever been to the river.  Put a good bottle of water in everyone's hand and at least get down to the first or second tunnel on the Bright Angel Trail.  Get in the club with pride.  And when you see 'real' backpackers climbing out of the canyon, congratulate them.  They've earned it and it feels really, really good.  i know.

Lastly, if time permits head out to Hermit's Landing.  I think by then you can drive your own car rather than take the park bus.  Numerous wonderful overlooks on the route.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/upload/sr-pocket-map.pdf

Ask me anything you like and I'll try to help.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:19:34 PM by jsglow »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
Good map Dr.

And agree.  Overnight is better.  Williams is cheap and an hour away.  Worth the drive back and forth.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 05:27:42 PM »
Okay Dish, I've been there many, many times.

There's essentially 2 routes into Grand Canyon from the south at Flagstaff.  Both converge near Valle. You'll want to come in either via the scenic route on US 180 or be a bit quicker going west on Int. 40 to Williams and north up AZ 64.  What you don't want to do is drive north up US 89 to the east entrance.

As to what to do.  The main visitor center is outstanding and where everyone should start.  From there, it's a short walk to Mather Point, probably the best overlook on the south rim (and why the visitor center is built where it is.)

Next would be to visit the historic hotel zone.  Things like the Kolb Studio, El Tovar Hotel, and Bright Angel Lodge and the historic 'front porch' walkway are not to be missed.  Good place to get a meal in one of those restaurants.

And while there, do one more thing.  Fewer than 10% of the folks that visit the canyon ever get below the rim.  Less than 1% have ever been to the river.  Put a good bottle of water in everyone's hand and at least get down to the first or second tunnel on the Bright Angel Trail.  Get in the club with pride.  And when you see 'real' backpackers climbing out of the canyon, congratulate them.  They've earned it and it feels really, really good.  i know.

Lastly, if time permits head out to Hermit's Landing.  I think by then you can drive your own car rather than take the park bus.  Numerous wonderful overlooks on the route.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/news/upload/sr-pocket-map.pdf

Ask me anything you like and I'll try to help.

Thanks (Doc too)! The entrance thing is awesome to know, all the research I've done had different tips, but this is the kind of info I was looking for.

Ideally we'd stay overnight there, (Grand Canyon), but time won't permit. We ended up getting to squeeze an extra day into the front end of our trip, and everyone in theory is excited to see it, but the long drive there may temper my kids excitement.

I personally do want to get to the river, I actually think that's such a significant thing to see in respect to that area.

I don't know what I don't know, mostly hoping crowds the Sunday before Thanksgiving are small, and my kids cooperate!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »
So google maps says 3.5 hours.  Start early.  No later than 6am.

Remind me.  The kids are how old?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »
So google maps says 3.5 hours.  Start early.  No later than 6am.

Remind me.  The kids are how old?

7/7/3...I'll take a Xanax before the drive

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »
We did this last Thanksgiving.  We arrived on that Friday afternoon and the place was so packed, I honestly hated being there.  People were inventing places to park anywhere, on grass, every shuttle was a 30 minute wait, every overlook was jammed to capacity ..  it was insanity.   The GC is my wife's favorite place on earth, and she wasn't pleased the rest of us weren't thrilled.

That being said .. we stayed overnight and the Saturday morning was completely spectacular.  We had the place to ourselves and left around 10am for Vegas.

I have no idea if it got crazy busy later that day or Sunday.   I think the moral of the story is to get there as early as you can. 

If I had to do it over again .. certainly wouldn't do it on a busy afternoon .. and I think I'd try to have some tour that gets you to the bottom for the night.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 06:26:31 PM »
Taking the family to Scottsdale for Thanksgiving week. Gonna make the drive to the Grand Canyon for a day. Anybody with tips/recommendations? I "think" there's a few entrances on the South end, any one better than the other? Does it matter on buying the $30 vehicle pass ahead of time? With 3 young kids, and only a few hours there, what's best to see?

Stay the night in Williams, take the old railroad train into Grand Canyon on the Grand Canyon Railroad. 

https://www.thetrain.com/

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 06:27:46 PM »
We did this last Thanksgiving.  We arrived on that Friday afternoon and the place was so packed, I honestly hated being there.  People were inventing places to park anywhere, on grass, every shuttle was a 30 minute wait, every overlook was jammed to capacity ..  it was insanity.   The GC is my wife's favorite place on earth, and she wasn't pleased the rest of us weren't thrilled.

That being said .. we stayed overnight and the Saturday morning was completely spectacular.  We had the place to ourselves and left around 10am for Vegas.

I have no idea if it got crazy busy later that day or Sunday.   I think the moral of the story is to get there as early as you can. 

If I had to do it over again .. certainly wouldn't do it on a busy afternoon .. and I think I'd try to have some tour that gets you to the bottom for the night.

Interesting, thanks. This is what my biggest worry is, driving three hours to a situation like this.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:19 PM »
For the bucket list - do the mule trip down to Phantom Ranch.  We did this with the family a number of years ago on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day - it was snowing on the rim, and down at the bottom, you didn't even need a jacket.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
7/7/3...I'll take a Xanax before the drive

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 07:00:40 PM »
The young ones will love the train ride.  They have the banditos rob the train on the way back, all part of the fun.  Kids have a good time.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »
The young ones will love the train ride.  They have the banditos rob the train on the way back, all part of the fun.  Kids have a good time.

Until someone shoots the banditos with their CCW   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »
I go to Phoenix area pretty frequently for work, and know Scottsdale/Tempe well. But I've never done Sedona, I know it's closer than the GC...is that worth it with 3 young kids instead of GC?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 09:16:33 PM »
I go to Phoenix area pretty frequently for work, and know Scottsdale/Tempe well. But I've never done Sedona, I know it's closer than the GC...is that worth it with 3 young kids instead of GC?

Nah.  Sedona's cool but no.  Get 'em to sleep in the car.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 09:41:02 PM »

What’s your goal? Viewing of a national park or hiking/nature?  With the car ride all in one day and the young kids, I would save the GC and Sedona till they are older and you stay over night.

Have you ever hiked McDowell Regional Park? Kid to tough hiking choices without the drive and cramped car ride. Beautiful trails and views. The weather is perfect this time of year.  Rattlers will be or going into hibernation.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 10:07:09 PM »
My trip was with my 8 and 10 year old boys.    None of us are hikers .. we went to Papago Park (near the zoo) and did some easy level hiking .. that had a perfect amount of hiking.

We just passed Sedona, didn't stop on our way to the GC. 

I do recall, both the drive from PHX to GC and the next day to Vegas .. were long slog drives with the kids.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 10:23:30 PM »
What’s your goal? Viewing of a national park or hiking/nature?  With the car ride all in one day and the young kids, I would save the GC and Sedona till they are older and you stay over night.

Have you ever hiked McDowell Regional Park? Kid to tough hiking choices without the drive and cramped car ride. Beautiful trails and views. The weather is perfect this time of year.  Rattlers will be or going into hibernation.

We're not hikers, it'd be too much complaining going on. My hope/goal was to try to see what we could by car/tour, while limiting the kids to too much walking. I didn't know if just driving around part of the park would be enough to get an idea of how cool it is and enjoy it.

It's an idea that sounds good in theory, but I'm glad I threw it out there to all of you, as it is easier for me now to convince myself at this time, it's probably not worth the potential stress involved.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »
We did it a couple years ago. A road splits from the interstate north of Phoenix that goes through Sedona. It adds 30-45 minutes to the drive, but has some incredible scenery. You don't even need to get out of the car. We did just to take in the Chapel of the Holy Cross (http://www.sjvsedona.org/chapeloftheholycross.htm).

When we got up to the park proper, we checked out Mather Point because it's literally right there, but moved east along 64. There are turnouts/lookouts that are every bit as breathtaking as Mather, but with fewer crowds. I'd suggest Grandview Point (https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264395@N03/16982016412/in/album-72157651114586840/) and then at just about the eastern most end of 64 in the park is Desert View Watchtower. Not sure if the timing will work with your route and kids, but the sunset there is just shy of a religious experience. (https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264395@N03/16909095862/in/album-72157651114586840/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/131264395@N03/16884439346/in/album-72157651114586840/) If you do sunset, get there 30+ minutes early and stake out a spot. Big tour busses show up like 5 minutes before sunset and mob the place.

Also, it's honestly almost impossible to screw up a visit to the Grand Canyon. You guys are gonna have a blast.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 09:44:32 AM »
Honestly Dish, I think you might be biting off too much with young kids.  Don't be Clark.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 10:24:38 AM »
Honestly Dish, I think you might be biting off too much with young kids.  Don't be Clark.

We might just take the family truckster to a trampoline park instead.

RIP Aunt Edna

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »
We took a trip a not terribly unlike what you're proposing several years ago.  My kids at the time were 6, 8, 10, 12.  We started in Mesa in the morning -- very early -- and drove to the Grand Canyon.  After the visit, we drove to Kayenta, Arizona.  This wasn't as long as the drive back to Scottsdale would be, but it was a long day.  But, it was fantastic and my kids have fond memories.  It's hard to say how that would have played out if they were 3 and 7.  Seems kind of youngish to me for such a long day.  Like everyone has said...sleeping in the car would help.  Or, hopefully, movies.  Or both.

We hit several of the South Rim overlooks (Mather & Yavapai) and also hit the hotel area.  Like Glow recommended, we set off down the trail and made it past the first couple tunnels.  Not a particularly long walk and definitely not a difficult hike.  Everyone enjoyed it.  I'd definitely recommend it.

From my perspective, with small kids, it's not hard to see and do what you want to do at the GC in a half day.  It's a little Clark Griswoldish, but with small kids, it should suffice.  As they get a little older, I'd want to hike a little more and really explore -- ultimately even do the rim-to-rim -- but with young kids it doesn't require all that much time.  A solid half day is honestly fine.  Sure, you could do more, but if the schedule doesn't allow it, I don't think you'd really be short changing them at the GC.  The real question is whether that's worth the eights hours driving.  When we went, we were driving to SW Colorado anyway, so we plugged the GC in as a slightly-out-of-the-way side trip.  I'm sure glad we did it.  I'm not sure I would have felt the same about a "there and back" day.

In my mind, much of it comes down to when/whether you will have another chance.  It is absolutely awesome, and you/they have to see it.  If there will be other opportunities, great.  If you think that this might be the only chance, then I think you should bite the bullet and make the trip.  And if you're choosing between the CG and Sedona -- which is absolutely beautiful -- go to the GC if you're not going to have another chance to visit the area.  Honestly, don't recall all that much beside the beautiful scenery at Sedona, but it's been quite a few years since I've been there.  Not sure the kids will see the appeal.  As others have mentioned, there is a lot of pretty beautiful stuff much closer to Phx if you're just looking for scenery.  And the desert is a beautiful and unique place to explore.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:21:11 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 11:16:51 AM »

Glad to see you are all doing so great. Your family has a lot to be thankful this Thanksgiving and the many more to come. Always in my prayers.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 12:55:55 PM »
We took a trip a not terribly unlike what you're proposing several years ago.  My kids at the time were 6, 8, 10, 12.  We started in Mesa in the morning -- very early -- and drove to the Grand Canyon.  After the visit, we drove to Kayenta, Arizona.  This wasn't as long as the drive back to Scottsdale would be, but it was a long day.  But, it was fantastic and my kids have fond memories.  It's hard to say how that would have played out if they were 3 and 7.  Seems kind of youngish to me for such a long day.  Like everyone has said...sleeping in the car would help.  Or, hopefully, movies.  Or both.

We hit several of the South Rim overlooks (Mather & Yavapai) and also hit the hotel area.  Like Glow recommended, we set off down the trail and made it past the first couple tunnels.  Not a particularly long walk and definitely not a long hike.  Everyone enjoyed it.  I'd definitely recommend it.

From my perspective, with small kids, it's not hard to see and do what you want to do at the GC in a half day.  It's a little Clark Griswoldish, but with small kids, it should suffice.  As they get a little older, I'd want to hike a little more and really explore -- ultimately even do the rim-to-rim -- but with young kids it doesn't require all that much time.  A solid half day is honestly fine.  Sure, you could do more, but if the schedule doesn't allow it, I don't think you'd really be short changing them at the GC.  The real question is whether that's worth the eights hours driving.  When we went, we were driving to SW Colorado anyway, so we plugged the GC in as a slightly-out-of-the-way side trip.  I'm sure glad we did it.  I'm not sure I would have felt the same about a "there and back" day.

In my mind, much of it comes down to when/whether you will have another chance.  It is absolutely awesome, and you/they have to see it.  If there will be other opportunities, great.  If you think that this might be the only chance, then I think you should bite the bullet and make the trip.  And if you're choosing between the CG and Sedona -- which is absolutely beautiful -- go to the GC if you're not going to have another chance to visit the area.  Honestly, don't recall all that much beside the beautiful scenery at Sedona, but it's been quite a few years since I've been there.  Not sure the kids will see the appeal.  As others have mentioned, there is a lot of pretty beautiful stuff much closer to Phx if you're just looking for scenery.  And the desert is a beautiful and unique place to explore.

This is great stuff. This is why I love Scoop, the feedback on my questions has been top notch from everybody, really appreciate everyone taking the time with the input.