[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: TV Recommendation  (Read 5469 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
TV Recommendation
« on: November 08, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »
I'm considering buying a new tv around Black Friday.  Haven't done much research yet but interested in any recommendations.  Below are some details of what I'm interested in and some questions:

-65 inch
-Price range between $1-2K
-Don't care about 3D
-Brand recommendations?  Most likely will not get a Samsung. Had issues with my current 55 inch. A few years ago it started flickering with a strobe-like effect. Found a video on YouTube that said it was a common issue where you had to remove the back of the tv and snip one of the connectors. I did so and it fixed the problem but that's enough to move me away from the brand.
-Does it make sense to get a 4K model at this point?
-Thoughts on curved screen?
-Will most likely order from Crutchfield

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: TV Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 09:28:35 PM »
I'm considering buying a new tv around Black Friday.  Haven't done much research yet but interested in any recommendations.  Below are some details of what I'm interested in and some questions:

-65 inch
-Price range between $1-2K
-Don't care about 3D
-Brand recommendations?  Most likely will not get a Samsung. Had issues with my current 55 inch. A few years ago it started flickering with a strobe-like effect. Found a video on YouTube that said it was a common issue where you had to remove the back of the tv and snip one of the connectors. I did so and it fixed the problem but that's enough to move me away from the brand.
-Does it make sense to get a 4K model at this point?
-Thoughts on curved screen?
-Will most likely order from Crutchfield

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Samsung.  All the components for TVs are basically made in the same place.  Lower grade or lower tested parts end up in other TV brands.  Never had a problem with our 8 year old 60 inch.

Forget 4k.  Providers don't broadcast in 4k and won't for a while.

Can't answer to the curved screen... I probably won't get one because I think it's look stupid hanging on the wall.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »
Some streaming platforms have limited 4k content.
Why Crutchfield? Never seen them be price competitive.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »
we put a Samsung 55' curved screen in the basement last year and really like it.  the curved screen is great in an area that has confined/fixed viewing lines or the viewing area 'small'.  if you have an open/large area you should avoid the curve.

Samsung setup and user interface is really intuitive and they generally put out a quality product IMHO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 11:43:25 PM »
I've bought my last several TVs at Costco.

In addition to very competitive pricing and good selection, they have a 90-day no-questions return policy, double the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years and offer free telephone "concierge service" to help with set-up and technical issues.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »
Thanks for the responses so far.  Some additional comments below. 

Some streaming platforms have limited 4k content.
Why Crutchfield? Never seen them be price competitive.

I bought my last TV from Crutchfield and they seemed price competitive.  Granted that was a while ago.  Any recommendations in terms of best deals?

we put a Samsung 55' curved screen in the basement last year and really like it.  the curved screen is great in an area that has confined/fixed viewing lines or the viewing area 'small'.  if you have an open/large area you should avoid the curve.

Samsung setup and user interface is really intuitive and they generally put out a quality product IMHO.

I'm in a condo right now so the viewing area is pretty intimate so it sounds like a curve could work but isn't a necessity.

I've bought my last several TVs at Costco.

In addition to very competitive pricing and good selection, they have a 90-day no-questions return policy, double the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years and offer free telephone "concierge service" to help with set-up and technical issues.

I'm a CostCo member so I'll check them out.  I wasn't sure how competitive they would be on price or what kind of deals they might have. 

Samsung.  All the components for TVs are basically made in the same place.  Lower grade or lower tested parts end up in other TV brands.  Never had a problem with our 8 year old 60 inch.

Can't answer to the curved screen... I probably won't get one because I think it's look stupid hanging on the wall.

Maybe I shouldn't rule out Samsung but the issue with my current tv seemed so ridiculous that it really soured me on the brand.  It felt like something they knew would happen with the model.  As for 4K, I know it's not widely available right now but it seems like most of the models available offer it anyway. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
I would pass on 4K, heck, even full 1080p sources are hard to come by other than watching your own Blu-Rays.
(I know some sources say they stream 1080p etc. but it is down-rezzed AFAIK).

In the past I have found TVs I wanted and found Amazon to be the cheapest, ymmv.

Curved would seem best suited to situations where no one has to watch off-axis so to speak.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 01:00:36 PM »
If you're patient camelcamelcamel.com 
You can set price alerts for products on Amazon (and their 3rd party sellers) and have them e-mail you when it hits the number. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 03:38:06 PM »
Not sure of your feelings of dealing with Black Friday craziness but Wal-Mart just put out their ad and it has a 65" Samsung 4k curved TV for $998.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 04:00:02 PM »
Not sure of your feelings of dealing with Black Friday craziness but Wal-Mart just put out their ad and it has a 65" Samsung 4k curved TV for $998.

I'll need to scour the ads.  I'll most likely buy online.  The chances of me actually going to a start on Thursday/early Friday are minimal. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 04:31:09 PM »
I'd recommend Samsung as well. Have bought 3 of them - ranging from 45" to 60" and have yet to have a single problem.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 04:51:35 PM »
Ludum habemus.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 06:10:56 PM »

Netflix and YouTube both have 4k.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 07:34:55 PM »
Does Comcast infrastructure have the bandwidth to pump out 4K?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »
Does Comcast infrastructure have the bandwidth to pump out 4K?

As in internet or cable TV?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
Cable

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »
Cable

Not sure what the problem there is exactly. But the equipment or something most be old and not want to be replaced. But yes cable does not deliver 4k.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 10:55:51 PM »
I'll need to scour the ads.  I'll most likely buy online.  The chances of me actually going to a start on Thursday/early Friday are minimal.

I think I read that you can order online starting at midnight ET.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
Cable

No chance.  My Charter Spectrum service doesn't even get to 1080.

What a joke.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 11:36:08 AM »
4K is basically a gimmick to make you think you need a new TV but what you do need is HDR (and forget 3D, that's pretty much dead).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/battle-4k-streaming-boxes-apple-google-amazon-roku-194554583.html

Here’s a dirty little secret the TV companies would prefer that you didn’t know: You can’t see the difference between 4K and regular high definition.

“4K” means four times as many pixels as on an HDTV in the same space. And from a normal seating distance, on standard TV sizes, the human eye can’t make out the additional resolution.

What you can see—what is worth upgrading to—is a format with a much less catchy name: HDR, which stands for high dynamic range. (You might see either “HDR” or “Ultra HD Premium”—they both mean high dynamic range.) If you have an HDR screen and an HDR movie to watch, hoo boy: the quality hits you between the eyes. Much brighter brights, much darker darks; more detail in those bright and dark places; and more shades in between. More shades of color, too. Really fantastic.

And here’s another dirty little secret about 4K: Not a single TV network or cable channel broadcasts anything in 4K. If you own a 4K television, and you want to watch 4K shows and movies, you have two choices: Buy a 4K Blu-ray player and new movies on disc—or stream your shows online, from services like Netflix (NFLX), Amazon (AMZN), Hulu, iTunes (AAPL), Google Play (GOOG, GOOGL), Vudu, and YouTube.

Streaming your shows, of course, is ultimately less expensive than buying on Blu-Ray, and offers far greater variety and choice of stuff to watch. But to stream them, you need a fairly fast internet connection and streaming box attached to your TV.

As it turns out, all four of the major streaming boxes—Apple TV, Roku, Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire—have just been re-introduced in 4K HDR versions in the last couple of months.

(Since 4K TV has been around for four years now, what took 4K streaming boxes so long to come out? Simple: Their makers were waiting for HDR to become a thing. Because remember: 4K alone doesn’t make any visual difference.)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »
Do HDR TVs exist without 4k? Just thinking about a possible way to save a bit on the purchase

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
Do HDR TVs exist without 4k? Just thinking about a possible way to save a bit on the purchase

Most likely if it has HDR it is also 4K. Fortunately I haven't shop TVs in a few years but knowing how TV marketing usually works I would guess HDR is on the higher end models. Kind of how my Sammy plasma came with 3D if I wanted it or not.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »
Bump!

Any recs on the best 55” or larger set under a grand?  Been reading up on the TCL’s Roku TV’s and they seem be holding up really in comparison to other more established brands.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2019, 10:04:57 PM »
Just bought the Samsung q7. It is very high quality and looks great with sports.

Make sure you buy a 120hz TV. Most important part. Curved are nice but have blurring.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 10:10:06 PM »
Bump!

Any recs on the best 55” or larger set under a grand?  Been reading up on the TCL’s Roku TV’s and they seem be holding up really in comparison to other more established brands.

This will be my next tv:

https://www.tclusa.com/products/home-theater/6-series/tcl-75-class-6-series-4k-uhd-hdr-roku-smart-tv-75r617

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
LG OLED are the best TV's you can get. I stalked slickdeals.com before the Super Bowl last year (2/2018) and picked up the LG OLED55E7P for $1300 but you can get it now under $1500. TV is dynamite. Picture is unreal especially when streaming 4k or getting HD OTA.

Also like LG's WebOS for streaming and it has a built in 2.2 Channel Atmos Soundbar.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-OLED55E7P-55-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01NAYM31E

But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 10:53:01 AM »
LG OLED are the best TV's you can get. I stalked slickdeals.com before the Super Bowl last year (2/2018) and picked up the LG OLED55E7P for $1300 but you can get it now under $1500. TV is dynamite. Picture is unreal especially when streaming 4k or getting HD OTA.

Also like LG's WebOS for streaming and it has a built in 2.2 Channel Atmos Soundbar.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-OLED55E7P-55-Inch-Ultra/dp/B01NAYM31E

Samsung > LG

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 01:01:39 PM »
Samsung > LG

In no world is QLED (Samsung) better than an OLED (LG). OLED provides the best picture on the market and since LG is only company in the world that makes OLED they have to make the best screens.
But I like to throw handfuls...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
In no world is QLED (Samsung) better than an OLED (LG). OLED provides the best picture on the market and since LG is only company in the world that makes OLED they have to make the best screens.

I mean, you are kind of correct.