[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Real Chili recipe?  (Read 8185 times)

jsglow

• All American
Re: Real Chili recipe?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »
I hadn't had Real, Real Chili in ~5 years and we took the boys down to that Alumni game last year at the Al .. so we stopped by RC for dinner.

It was a Friday night 6pm and we (dumbly) thought, hey, maybe it's packed due to people eating dinner.  Nope, it was empty, including no staff.  We sat down for 30 seconds and the waitress/server came out of the bathroom hallway.

"HEEEEyyyyyy, how's it goin?"  She said.   Her eyes were as glazed over as a Krispy Kreme.  It took her 12 minutes to serve up 4 bowls, after she had smoked her bowl(s).  She kept wandering around trying to remember how to, you know, scoop noodles from a pot.

Anyhoo .. the chili tasted super salty.  Maybe it always did and I didn't recall it like that ..

I've had the occasional batch like that, but only rarely.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 06:33:29 PM »
We made a pot of #1 last night.  Frankly, it's better than the real thing.

I reported this post to the moderator.  The rest of y'all should too.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
#1 is damn good.

Actual Real Chili from the source is ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh okay?

sorry guys, don't burn the witch!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 07:52:35 PM »
We made a pot of #1 last night.  Frankly, it's better than the real thing.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 08:37:44 PM »
I hadn't had Real, Real Chili in ~5 years and we took the boys down to that Alumni game last year at the Al .. so we stopped by RC for dinner.

It was a Friday night 6pm and we (dumbly) thought, hey, maybe it's packed due to people eating dinner.  Nope, it was empty, including no staff.  We sat down for 30 seconds and the waitress/server came out of the bathroom hallway.

"HEEEEyyyyyy, how's it goin?"  She said.   Her eyes were as glazed over as a Krispy Kreme.  It took her 12 minutes to serve up 4 bowls, after she had smoked her bowl(s).  She kept wandering around trying to remember how to, you know, scoop noodles from a pot.

Anyhoo .. the chili tasted super salty.  Maybe it always did and I didn't recall it like that ..

So, did you at least teach your kids to throw crackers?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »

yeah, but were her ankles dirty?? ;D ;D ;D  big al would've been smiling
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 10:49:40 PM »
After tonight's packer game I'm craving chili badly.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 04:51:03 AM »
Who's had Chili John's, and what's your opinion?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »
So, did you at least teach your kids to throw crackers?

How does that not go without saying?   Of course.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »
May try this recipe tonight to see how it stands up.  Just had real chili again a few weeks back.  Couple qwestions 1. Recipe says 3-4 chili peppers are tjose the little red peppers? 2.  Do the 3-4 peppers make the mild meduium or hot? 
Thx
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 12:44:01 PM »

Solid.   Not the same but very close and worth having.  You can definitely taste the similarities.  If you're looking for a very casual lunch in GB, I'd do it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 07:58:36 AM »

Francis Horish (sp?) was an orphan and worked for Chili John's in Green Bay.  Chili John set him up in business across from the library, next to the Vogue Cocktail lounge, where I worked as a bartender.  Francis was a dear friend and when I went into the Marine Corps (1967) he would send me a few dollars every once and a while to have a beer.

He would send out his Chili only in the winter and it would arrive with a thick coating of hard fat on the top, almost a wax.  He would come to work on Thursday around noon and cook all day and night in the basement making enough chili for the weekend and the next week.  He used a lot of meat, meat like stew meat, and the cooking would reduce it into the stringy concoction we know and love as Real Chili.

My problem with the  recipe is that I use chopped meat and that never works.  His recipe had a lot of oil, that is what made the crackers red.
Another trick was the blanching of the beans.

I often fondly remember him, even more than the chili.  RIP Francis 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
Francis Horish (sp?) was an orphan and worked for Chili John's in Green Bay.  Chili John set him up in business across from the library, next to the Vogue Cocktail lounge, where I worked as a bartender.  Francis was a dear friend and when I went into the Marine Corps (1967) he would send me a few dollars every once and a while to have a beer.

He would send out his Chili only in the winter and it would arrive with a thick coating of hard fat on the top, almost a wax.  He would come to work on Thursday around noon and cook all day and night in the basement making enough chili for the weekend and the next week.  He used a lot of meat, meat like stew meat, and the cooking would reduce it into the stringy concoction we know and love as Real Chili.

My problem with the  recipe is that I use chopped meat and that never works.  His recipe had a lot of oil, that is what made the crackers red.
Another trick was the blanching of the beans.

I often fondly remember him, even more than the chili.  RIP Francis 

Was Blondie working back then?

Anyone have a pic of Blondie?

CreanLover

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »
Can I just throw out an endorsement for #4? I love that recipe

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »

Found this one out there...

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2017, 05:18:11 AM »

He had a woman, not sure if her nickname was Blondie, probably was.  His wife worked the day shift, he worked the night shift.  The restaurant was impeccably clean and the windows had ice on the inside during cold nights.  The humidity from the steam tables was part of the experience, almost like going to a chili sauna.

I think the large white porcelain containers in the steam table were also part of the "secret".  To accurately reproduce real chili I would need to cook the chili for many hours because it is a reduction.

In Italy they reduce most of their food to intensify flavors, the real Real Chili did that in spades.

The final ingredient was love and on site owner management.  Absentee management can't reproduce the experience of Real Chili of old.  Sorry.