[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mr. Assist  (Read 2771 times)

MU82

• All American
Mr. Assist
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »
The leading scorer goes out with an injury. One might have thought that the second-leading scorer, who has been something of a no-conscience gunner during his time at Marquette, would be firing up shots like crazy now that he was the "main show in town."

Well, while Rowsey has gotten plenty of shots - 12 treys taken in each game to equal his third-most in any game this season - most of them have been in the flow of the offense. He hasn't been a wild-n-crazy gunner of a guy. Meanwhile, he had 8 assists in each game, his third-highest career total. And he did it all while playing almost every minute and committing only 3 turnovers.

Very proud of AR for being a true senior leader, getting others involved and helping our Warriors keep our NCAA tourney hopes alive.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Mr. Assist
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:35:09 PM »
He deserves a hell of a send-off on Senior Night.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:45:39 PM »
Andrew has been Mr. Assist and Mr. Low Turnover all season except for a few bad games. MU fans just aren't used to a shoot first PG.  We haven't had a great shooting PG since Travis and he was also maligned. 

Big shoes to fill.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 01:04:08 PM »
Andrew has been Mr. Assist and Mr. Low Turnover all season except for a few bad games. MU fans just aren't used to a shoot first PG.  We haven't had a great shooting PG since Travis and he was also maligned. 

Big shoes to fill.

Yep. He often played the 2 for us, but Car3no was similarly maligned for awhile. And while not a PG, Katin caught similar flack last season. It seems Scoop has a history of not liking shoot first traditionals.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »
Yep. He often played the 2 for us, but Car3no was similarly maligned for awhile. And while not a PG, Katin caught similar flack last season. It seems Scoop has a history of not liking shoot first traditionals.
I don’t have a problem with traditionals. In fact some are my best friends.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »

Dom was also a target, although he couldn't shoot. Buzz finally molded him, and the BC was never quieter when he went down senior year. I really wanted the Amigos to advance that year as they stuck around after CTC bailed on them. Heartbroken.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
Rowsey and Howard bring positives and negatives to the team.  Historically, they were offensive black holes.  The ball gets in their hands and it doesn't come out unless there is a shot.  They would dribble without a purpose and in many cases lead to TOs or bad shots. 

I wondered if part of the issue with the flow of the offense had to deal with the fact we had two black holes.  If one gave up the ball then it might end up in the hands of the other one to shoot.  With only one it could be that Rowsey is now more open to passing as it has a higher probability or returning.  This side effect creates a more fluid offense as the ball is moving.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »
Rowsey and Howard bring positives and negatives to the team.  Historically, they were offensive black holes.  The ball gets in their hands and it doesn't come out unless there is a shot.  They would dribble without a purpose and in many cases lead to TOs or bad shots. 

I wondered if part of the issue with the flow of the offense had to deal with the fact we had two black holes.  If one gave up the ball then it might end up in the hands of the other one to shoot.  With only one it could be that Rowsey is now more open to passing as it has a higher probability or returning.  This side effect creates a more fluid offense as the ball is moving.

Scoop Nation,

We have the 13th best offense in the country as rated by Pomeroy. This offense is a decimal point of the two best offenses in 101 years of Marquette basketball history (last year and 2003).  Our problem is not our offense.

I gave up MU Defense for Lent so I will refrain from that issue.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »
Scoop Nation,

We have the 13th best offense in the country as rated by Pomeroy. This offense is a decimal point of the two best offenses in 101 years of Marquette basketball history (last year and 2003).  Our problem is not our offense.

I thought you've seemed more positive lately!  ;)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
I thought you've seemed more positive lately!  ;)

I found God on MU82's front yard.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 03:42:57 PM »

Well done.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »

Now that's two days in a row that my coworkers have had to ask me what's so funny
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 05:39:31 PM »
Rowsey gets into trouble when he falls in love with calling a non-offensive big man out to set a high ball screen for him and just waits and waits for that to happen.  Then, when the two defenders he's drawn to himself totally ignore the non-offensive big man and reroute him further out but to the sideline, he decides to call the same non-offensive big man out for another high ball screen as the shot clock winds down.  Knowing he has to get a shot up, and both defenders not allowing him to pull up for the three, he then oftentimes puts his head down and tries to get to the rim, often with not just the two screen defenders sticking with him, but also pretty much all 3 other defenders collapsing into the paint and he gets his stuff swatted right back at him.

When Rowsey gets it in his head that he needs to initiate the offense and then move without the ball, he is an outstanding offensive player.  But he has absolutely been horribly frustrating at times for a fifth year senior.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 05:43:22 PM »
His maturity level has improved greatly over the past few games. Before that, you never knew who was going to show up that day to play - Mr. Assist or just Mr. Ass.

And I say that with a great deal of love.
Have some patience, FFS.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 11:55:11 PM »
We are going to miss AR big next season.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:24:28 AM by MarquetteDano »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 11:58:51 PM »

Jesus F. Christ ... that was you? Next time wear pants, please!!!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 12:10:54 AM »
Jesus F. Christ ... that was you? Next time wear pants, please!!!

You jest, but you better hope MU isn’t seeded in Charlotte this year because if I can get that shiite past TSA, oh boy is your tree in for it if they are.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 12:13:13 AM »
You jest, but you better hope MU isn’t seeded in Charlotte this year because if I can get that shiite past TSA, oh boy is your tree in for it if they are.

Keep your goddam balls outta my tree, Benny!

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »
Scoop Nation,

See DePaul. Our Defense wasn't horrible but relatively speaking our offense was.

I agree with your assessment that defense is the bigger weakness.  However, you don't win on offense or defense alone.  Your offense has to be elite and your defense good enough or vice versa.  This highlights that in a game of winning and losing, games are determined on how well you perform relative to your best on both sides of the floor.  If MU's Offense is not at its peak then its defense has to outperform its norm.  In the game against DePaul, MU's offense fell back into the pointless dribbling with the intent to shoot.  It was also just bad shooting.