[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UWM game thread  (Read 18298 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: UWM game thread
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »
Good exhibition showing and opponent. Got some kinks out before NU, Purdue and Maui. Early part of year will be struggle but depth will be built. Wojo smart to focus on defense early.

The team needs Cheatham back. Missing the seam guy. He needs to get healthy to play the three, with Sam as the four and Theo/Matt at the five. The rest need to fight for the depth spots.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2017, 09:42:53 PM »
We were fortunate to have the opportunity to play this game. It allowed the younger players to work through their first collegiate experiences in a cross town rival game. We still have the Northwestern secret scrimmage and the exhibition for the young guys to keep improving and building confidence. The emphasis on defense is going to pay off.  I am very enthusiastic about the coming season.

Given the tough early schedule, having this and the NW scrimmage could prove to be invaluable to get us ready without having to worry about it hurting us later.

That said, how was the coaching--did it seem like Wojo was using it as an opportunity to try new things out, even if it meant falling behind?  Or were we playing this tighter so as to avoid the ignominy of the first loss to UWM and the morale-blow it would entail?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2017, 10:02:24 PM »
Here's something I want folks to remember. Today 3 Frosh got very meaningful minutes because Froling and Hanni aren't yet available.  As was mentioned previously,  UWM has one Frosh on the roster. Their experience showed. Our young guys did fineand this was vavaluable.  Two weeks in a veteran team will be further along.  All good.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2017, 10:09:56 PM »
Given the tough early schedule, having this and the NW scrimmage could prove to be invaluable to get us ready without having to worry about it hurting us later.

That said, how was the coaching--did it seem like Wojo was using it as an opportunity to try new things out, even if it meant falling behind?  Or were we playing this tighter so as to avoid the ignominy of the first loss to UWM and the morale-blow it would entail?

To answer your question,  the new thing is defense and rebounding. Both are better. I think it's all Wojo has coached for two weeks. Also, while Cain and Elliott are going to be good,  we need Hanni back for his ability to drive to the basket. His length and maturity will be needed.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »
<a href="https://youtu.be/CAsWQjf_0Us" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtu.be/CAsWQjf_0Us</a>

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2017-18/box_score/stats_20171022aaa.pdf

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2017, 11:26:32 PM »
Did the vests get out of their seats?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2017, 06:33:22 AM »
WAY too early opinion....not an NCAA team...but HC and Frolling could change that.  Heldt didn't play as well as he had in the past...probably a fluke.  Was at least expecting to see him play as well as he did in some of his better outings last year.  John will play big minutes because he should...and because Heldt will be in foul trouble.  Other freshmen are raw...don't see Ike getting many minutes.  Need guys that can get to the lane as we won't have much of an inside out game to open up the 3.  HC and SA will end up being make or break for the team...I think we know what the others bring.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:32:01 AM by avid1010 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »
Did the vests get out of their seats?

Very few vests there, TBH. 
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2017, 08:42:20 AM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2017, 09:18:09 AM »
Here's something I want folks to remember. Today 3 Frosh got very meaningful minutes because Froling and Hanni aren't yet available.  As was mentioned previously,  UWM has one Frosh on the roster. Their experience showed.
I wouldn't call UWM experience. Everyone is in year 2 of playing any real minutes.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »
I wouldn't call UWM experience. Everyone is in year 2 of playing any real minutes.

And half of our team is in year 1 with zero real minutes.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »
One thing this game really showed for me, especially with the freshmen, is what Wojo wants in a roster. Generally, the roster is made up of two types of players. Long, athletic slashers that can use their length to disrupt passing lanes and block shots, and deadeye shooters that can stretch the defense well beyond the arc.

Cain, Elliott, Eke, and Anim all have tons of defensive upside. They are quick with active hands. The active hands was something everyone was better at, but you could see how they used their length to create turnovers. Elliott got a block out on the perimeter because he has very long arms that the shooter did not expect. Cain's steal that went out of bounds was one where he really didn't seem to be in position to get to it, but quickness and length created the play. Anim was probably the best of the (relative) newcomers on defense. He is quick, did pretty well at navigating traffic, and has a lot of length.

Offensively, it's stretching the floor to open it up for slashing and putbacks. Howard, Hauser, and Rowsey are obviously the main weapons. I have a feeling Elliott and Cain will both be decent shooters from range as well. Elliott is good at getting to the corner and getting open looks. Didn't knock them down, but he had the confidence. Inside, I think John, Cain, and (eventually) Morrow will all be tough for teams to deal with on the offensive glass.

This year will be a work in progress. There will be times where it all comes together and this team wows us, but there will be some times where we are left shaking our heads. But going forward, I think it's easy to see what the staff wants. A quick, long, athletic defense and an offense that can open up the floor beyond the arc with tough rebounders to get putbacks inside.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
Very few vests there, TBH.

Guessin’ dey didn’t mirrors in da men’s and women’s room den, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Room510

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2017, 03:57:58 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2017, 04:02:06 PM »
MU vs UWM raised $31k for Hurricane relief.  Which I was feeling good about until I saw that Kansas vs Mizzo raised $1.75 million, per attached.

http://www.kuathletics.com/news/2017/10/22/mens-basketball-jayhawks-and-tigers-raise-1-75-million-at-showdown-for-relief.aspx?utm_campaign=sproutsocialtraffic&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1508769933

If we had played at the BC against ND or UW or NW plus had a stream people could purchase we probably would’ve raised a massive sum like that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
Beat writer has a nice write up.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »
If we had played at the BC against ND or UW or NW plus had a stream people could purchase we probably would’ve raised a massive sum like that.

And Kansas v. Mizzou is a long-time rivalry that was sacrificed during conference realignment.  Fans of both teams want the rivalry renewed.  So it obviously was going to be a huge draw.

feedback