[Today at 10:19:19 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Youtube TV Vs Ps Vue  (Read 7221 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Youtube TV Vs Ps Vue
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 07:39:45 AM »
Remember airline bereavement?  Almost no one has it anymore.  Of course one side will blame the evil companies because that is what they do....blame companies.  People abused those fares.  They lied and said someone was sick or died to get a cheaper fare.  Eventually it impacted the business to a point they had to stop offering them.

There are many companies that do wrong things, have wrong intentions....no question about it...but it always amazes me that so many fail to realize how many people there are that game the system.  This is why reactions, sometimes heavy handed, come about. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 09:11:13 AM »
If the NFL starts streaming, I would greatly enjoy if they would give a team option. I'd rather pay $50 for Bears on vs $100 for the entire NFL

That isn't going to happen. They'll want to connect with people in more ways but they're still in this to make a profit. Both owners & the broadcasters.
But I like to throw handfuls...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 09:28:49 AM »
That isn't going to happen. They'll want to connect with people in more ways but they're still in this to make a profit. Both owners & the broadcasters.

Correct, I mean other than Jason Mendoza who is gonna get the Jaguars stream?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
Correct, I mean other than Jason Mendoza who is gonna get the Jaguars stream?

All their new fans when they move to London?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 12:15:14 PM »
The contract is coming up I think in 2020 and there is talk that the NFL may join revolution of the rest of the sports world and stream games.

That'd be wonderful.  That way I don't have to "move" to Germany each week to watch the NFL game pass that I pay for  :o

I'm sure chicos will tell me I'm stealing by buying a product directly from the NFL.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2019, 12:30:56 PM »
Had DTV Now since August. Occasional glitches like recordings that won't play until you try the 4th time or getting blacked out of national ABC coverage (happened 3 times. Only ABC.), but overall I'm happy.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
That'd be wonderful.  That way I don't have to "move" to Germany each week to watch the NFL game pass that I pay for  :o

I'm sure chicos will tell me I'm stealing by buying a product directly from the NFL.

I'm sure he'll create a European username to take offense at your demands for a direct to consumer product.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »

You are, just look at the terms and conditions.  Major conversation point because it doesn’t do a lot of good for someone to spend a tonof money on rights if the same entity receiving money for those rights is not protecting the rights holder and making essentially making money both ways.

That’s a problem for whomever owns the rights moving forward.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 01:25:32 PM »
I'm sure he'll create a European username to take offense at your demands for a direct to consumer product.

NFL makes 3x or 4x what with rights fees then selling it direct.  That’s what people don’t understand.  Do the math, very simple to understand.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 04:59:46 PM »
NFL makes 3x or 4x what with rights fees then selling it direct.  That’s what people don’t understand.  Do the math, very simple to understand.

Exactly why the NFL is going to do it themselves, and not limit it to DTV!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
Back to the original topic, YTTV is still my service, but I did like PS Vue when I had it, and from others here I understand they've improved their sports package since I had it.  Not tried Hulu or DTV Now, but sling was pretty bad.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:20:16 PM by rocky_warrior »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2019, 05:31:14 PM »
Had DTV Now since August. Occasional glitches like recordings that won't play until you try the 4th time or getting blacked out of national ABC coverage (happened 3 times. Only ABC.), but overall I'm happy.

I have this happen with ABC 7 in Chicago too. Clear Cache, Force Stop App, Restart. Has worked in the past for me. Thankfully you can always use On Demand or the ABC App to stream things.
But I like to throw handfuls...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:49 AM »
I have this happen with ABC 7 in Chicago too. Clear Cache, Force Stop App, Restart. Has worked in the past for me. Thankfully you can always use On Demand or the ABC App to stream things.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 08:21:03 PM »
Exactly why the NFL is going to do it themselves, and not limit it to DTV!

Nope.  They will likely sell the rights to someone else, make way more money than doing it themselves.

Do the math.  Elementary.

If they can get someone to pay them $2 billion a year, that means they would have to sell over 6 million subscriptions for a product at $325 per subscription.  Just to break even on what they would get from someone else to do.  No costs, no investment, Nada....just collect the money.  Not worth it for them to do it themselves, money doesn’t pan out with the hassle and investment they also have to put into it.  They would be responsible for technical issues, customer support, billing, etc.  Unlikey, but who knows.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:22:50 PM by Cheeks »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »
Back to the original topic, YTTV is still my service, but I did like PS Vue when I had it, and from others here I understand they've improved their sports package since I had it.  Not tried Hulu or DTV Now, but sling was pretty bad.

Still have Psvue. Great sports package now. Outside of Cubs games, I don't think theres anything I want that I don't get.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 02:53:30 PM »
Nope.  They will likely sell the rights to someone else, make way more money than doing it themselves.

Do the math.  Elementary.

If they can get someone to pay them $2 billion a year, that means they would have to sell over 6 million subscriptions for a product at $325 per subscription.  Just to break even on what they would get from someone else to do.  No costs, no investment, Nada....just collect the money.  Not worth it for them to do it themselves, money doesn’t pan out with the hassle and investment they also have to put into it.  They would be responsible for technical issues, customer support, billing, etc.  Unlikey, but who knows.

I can't tell if your a troll, or just actually that out of touch with humanity.

Weren't you the one who told me that internet based tv packages would fold by 2018?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »
I can't tell if your a troll, or just actually that out of touch with humanity.

Weren't you the one who told me that internet based tv packages would fold by 2018?

Fold?  Nope.  In fact I have been working in the OTT space since 2013, so no.  Now, will some fold...yes. The industry? Nope. But that doesn’t change the reality that almost no one is making money on a pure P&L basis.  Google props up YouTube TV, AT&T with DTV Now, Hulu by Fox, Dis and NBC, etc, Sony with Vue.  None of them are profitable on their own from the service they sell.  Not my words, those are the words of their CEOs and analysts.  The costs of content exceed what they are charging all in the drive to grab scale.

Netflix does makes a profit, but on a margin comparison basis against others it is relatively small....about 3.2% quarterly. They are all about customer growth (volume), but eventually you reach penetration saturation point.  Their US growth is starting to reach that now, of course if they clamp down on piracy they will be able to get a few of the cheats to pay.

It’s awesome to be part of a company with the rocket on acquiring, spend money to grow with few consequences. That world has changed now that folks are hopping, which is also why the clamp down on piracy.

feedback