[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette NBA Thread  (Read 439100 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Marquette NBA Thread
« Reply #375 on: October 21, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »
Duane drafted by Maine Red Claws in the G League.
https://gleague.nba.com/news/2018-nba-g-league-draft-board/
Hope he makes the roster.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #376 on: October 21, 2018, 12:50:30 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #377 on: October 22, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
Jamil Wilson performing well in Italy. Shooting 50% from 3 point line in first  6 games. 14-28. If he keeps this pace up he will make it back to the NBA once his herpes issue clears.
https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Italy/Fiat-Torino/8913?Page=3
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #378 on: October 22, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »
Jamil Wilson performing well in Italy. Shooting 50% from 3 point line in first  6 games. 14-28. If he keeps this pace up he will make it back to the NBA once his herpes issue clears.
https://basketball.eurobasket.com/team/Italy/Fiat-Torino/8913?Page=3

That sh*t is forever
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #379 on: October 22, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #380 on: October 22, 2018, 12:57:16 PM »
That sh*t is forever

Orr his johnson rots off, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #381 on: October 22, 2018, 01:33:01 PM »
Good news for DJO he will be on the roster of the Iowa Wolves.
https://iowa.gleague.nba.com/news/wolves-announce-four-affiliate-players-for-2018-19-season/

Lets hope he gets called up and plays a few games with Jimmy.

---Al McGuire

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #382 on: October 24, 2018, 03:03:11 PM »
What’s Vander Blue up to?
We Are Marquette

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #383 on: October 24, 2018, 03:08:27 PM »
What’s Vander Blue up to?
He is not playing anywhere right now. Went to Italy last year after being cut had a few good games then went into bad slump. Came back from Italy with tail between his legs and is not doing anything right now. His twitter and instagram show him constantly working out but he seems to be holding on to a dream that some NBA team will sign him again instead of sucking it up and going to G League .
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Vander-Blue/Summary/9340
                       ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #384 on: October 24, 2018, 04:29:46 PM »

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #385 on: October 24, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »
That’s too bad. Seems like a decent enough kid. Has NBA size and skill. Seems like one of those guys that never got a good fit. Lakers were a terrible fit with Kuzma, Ingram, Ball etc kinda fitting same role.

He is not playing anywhere right now. Went to Italy last year after being cut had a few good games then went into bad slump. Came back from Italy with tail between his legs and is not doing anything right now. His twitter and instagram show him constantly working out but he seems to be holding on to a dream that some NBA team will sign him again instead of sucking it up and going to G League .
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Vander-Blue/Summary/9340
We Are Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #386 on: October 24, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »
That’s too bad. Seems like a decent enough kid. Has NBA size and skill. Seems like one of those guys that never got a good fit. Lakers were a terrible fit with Kuzma, Ingram, Ball etc kinda fitting same role.

He does not have NBA skills. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #387 on: October 24, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
And is undersized for a 2 guard.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #388 on: October 24, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »

He does not have NBA skills.

Lakers and Celtics disagree. He didn't stick, but he had the skills to get there. Not a lot of guys walking the planet who can say they were in the NBA.
We Are Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #389 on: October 24, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »
Lakers and Celtics disagree. He didn't stick, but he had the skills to get there. Not a lot of guys walking the planet who can say they were in the NBA.

Fine.  He has NBA 10 day contract skills.  He's just not good enough for a permanent gig.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #390 on: October 24, 2018, 09:04:24 PM »
And is undersized for a 2 guard.

6'4" and 200 lbs? Not by much.

Name   Height w/o shoes   Height with shoes   Weight   Wingspan   Standing reach   Body fat   Hand length   Hand width

Blue, Vander   6' 3.5''   6' 5.25''   197.4   6' 6''   8' 4.5''   4.6   8.5   9.5

Found this via a google search. Interesting, good point about reach and wing span mattering as much as height. D Wade famously has a huge wingspan.

Shooting Guards

For most of my basketball life, I’ve assumed 6-6 was the prototypical shooting guard height, but the average is almost exactly 6-5. Sometimes we idealize what the game should be and forget all the concessions teams have to make for real basketball games and how many smaller players, or dual point guard set-ups, are utilized. You can see some extremes of 6-foot shooting guards or one near 7-foot, but those are uncommon situations. For wingspan, one can consider 7-foot and above large for a shooting guard. Try not to only focus on height for defensive potential because, for perimeter players especially, wingspan is key for attacking passing lanes and covering offensive players. For standing reach, shooting guards are rarely under 8-foot, and those that play there are normally point guards. Standing reach is important for every player, by the way; I imagine some people think of it as something useful for big men. But you contest shots with your standing reach, not your height.

https://fansided.com/2016/06/23/average-position-measurements-2016/
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #391 on: October 24, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »
Fine.  He has NBA 10 day contract skills.  He's just not good enough for a permanent gig.

Joke: What do you call the person who graduates last in their class from medical school?

Answer: Doctor.

We Are Marquette

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #392 on: October 24, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
Joke: What do you call the person who graduates last in their class from medical school?

Answer: Doctor.

OK.

You claimed above that he has "NBA skills and size" and said that the reason he hasn't stuck was "fit."    It's not "fit."  It's that he's not good enough.

Sure he should be proud of making it.  But its obvious why he's no longer on a roster.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #393 on: October 24, 2018, 09:36:03 PM »
Vander is good enough and big enough to play in the NBA. How do I know this for an absolute fact? Because he played for not one but two NBA teams and even started a game for LA. 

In a different system/team he could’ve stuck.

Disagree? Good for you. That’s what the internet is for. But he dominated the G League and has gotten a couple of cups of coffee in the league. If that isn’t being on the cusp and maybe just not finding the right fit, I don’t know what is.
We Are Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #394 on: October 24, 2018, 11:40:25 PM »
If Vander were bigger or if he were more skilled, he might be a player worthy of more than 10-day contracts.

I mean, he's bigger than some NBA guards (even than some 2-guards, such as the Hornets' Malik Monk), and maybe he's more skilled than a few (big maybe). But the combination of being a skinny 6-3 guy who can't play PG at an NBA level ... it's a hard pass from the entire league.

Not sure why some have difficulty with that. It's a fact, and it has played out as a fact. If he had the size and/or skill (especially the skill), he'd be in the league.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #395 on: October 25, 2018, 07:19:28 AM »
Vander is good enough and big enough to play in the NBA. How do I know this for an absolute fact? Because he played for not one but two NBA teams and even started a game for LA. 

In a different system/team he could’ve stuck.

Disagree? Good for you. That’s what the internet is for. But he dominated the G League and has gotten a couple of cups of coffee in the league. If that isn’t being on the cusp and maybe just not finding the right fit, I don’t know what is.
I respect Vander's determination and hard work to try and stay in the NBA and am rooting for him. You are absolutely correct about his ability and size not being a barrier. He is also a kid who puts value on his team winning and has shown some ability in the clutch or down the stretch in games.

I spent some time watching entire G League games over the last few years  where Vander was the feature player. It was interesting to note that many of the commentators, who were NBA Personnel executives, said that Vander was an acquired taste of sorts for GM's . In that his style was primarily driving to the basket and getting fouled which is presently out of vogue.  This compounds his basic problem which is that his shooting is very inconsistent. His percentages are not that far off from what is needed, but  that variance in game to game performance is extreme. So that is why there are very few takers.  I do think the Lakers did him a disservice though, as they pointed out he had to show he was more than a scorer, so when he did get his big chance, with the two way contract last year, he played the role of supportive team guy and then was told he didn't produce. I am not sure that was a reasonable approach either.

Finally, Vander has not proven that he can be a factor in high level international play.  He claims to have turned down big money offers to stay close to his NBA dream which is his choice. I think he needs to show he can play well at the Euro league level at this point to make his case again. Although that is not to say that some team could have some major injuries and he could get lucky and get another 10 day contract and stick.
                       ---Al McGuire

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #396 on: October 25, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »
I respect Vander's determination and hard work to try and stay in the NBA and am rooting for him. You are absolutely correct about his ability and size not being a barrier. He is also a kid who puts value on his team winning and has shown some ability in the clutch or down the stretch in games.

I spent some time watching entire G League games over the last few years  where Vander was the feature player. It was interesting to note that many of the commentators, who were NBA Personnel executives, said that Vander was an acquired taste of sorts for GM's . In that his style was primarily driving to the basket and getting fouled which is presently out of vogue.  This compounds his basic problem which is that his shooting is very inconsistent. His percentages are not that far off from what is needed, but  that variance in game to game performance is extreme. So that is why there are very few takers.  I do think the Lakers did him a disservice though, as they pointed out he had to show he was more than a scorer, so when he did get his big chance, with the two way contract last year, he played the role of supportive team guy and then was told he didn't produce. I am not sure that was a reasonable approach either.

This is a good summary.  Except if his shooting is inconsistent, that means he really doesn't have enough "NBA skill."

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #397 on: October 25, 2018, 10:48:00 AM »
Everyone is in agreement that Vander Blue is a talented basketball player and is right on the cusp of an NBA-caliber player. Some of us (me included) see a spot for him on an NBA roster and others think some of his weaknesses keep him on the outside looking in. It's really a bit of an argument about shades of grey. All, I'm sure, are proud of Vander and grateful for his contributions to Marquette basketball.

Here's an old but on point article on Vander's NBA chances. https://www.ridiculousupside.com/2017/7/18/15987218/the-curious-case-of-vander-blue-nba-la-dfenders-south-bay-lakers-nba-gleague-summer-league
We Are Marquette

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #398 on: October 25, 2018, 06:34:33 PM »
Portland Trailblazers in discussion with Jamil for possible two way contract per Italian press.
https://www.pianetabasket.com/lega-a/lega-a-fiat-torino-il-futuro-di-jamil-wilson-potrebbe-condurlo-a-portland-166792
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #399 on: October 25, 2018, 09:02:57 PM »
Everyone is in agreement that Vander Blue is a talented basketball player and is right on the cusp of an NBA-caliber player. Some of us (me included) see a spot for him on an NBA roster and others think some of his weaknesses keep him on the outside looking in. It's really a bit of an argument about shades of grey. All, I'm sure, are proud of Vander and grateful for his contributions to Marquette basketball.

Here's an old but on point article on Vander's NBA chances. https://www.ridiculousupside.com/2017/7/18/15987218/the-curious-case-of-vander-blue-nba-la-dfenders-south-bay-lakers-nba-gleague-summer-league

It might be a bit of an argument about shades of grey ... but the facts say he is not an NBA player.

I was not among Scoop's Vander-bashers. I liked him as a Warrior, especially (obviously) as a junior but I valued what he brought to the table even before then. I wish he would be an NBA player. But he isn't one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback