[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] St. John's Most Likely to Replace MU to Give Big East 7 Bids Again, Unless MU Defense Improves  (Read 3041 times)

CrackedSidewalks

St. John's Most Likely to Replace MU to Give Big East 7 Bids Again, Unless MU Defense Improves

This is one of 32 conference previews based on projections of Value Add for each player in www.valueaddbasketball.com. The other 31 projections appear at www.pudnersports.com so that readers only interested in the Big East need not review.

Each piece follows the same format, listing the Massey football ratings alongside the Value Add basketball projections. In the case of the Big East, Villanova's strong FCS team ranks ahead of a number of the 129 FBS teams as the 111th best overall football program. Butler and Georgetown also play football, and are ranked 363rd and 312th of all college teams.

Of the seven Big East teams that made the tournament last year, Value Add projects all but Marquette to return to the tournament, while St. John's is likely to replace Marquette as the seventh team (currently misses by only a couple of spots as the projected 52nd best team). Only nine of Villanova's players have projected values now, so their projections should rise to a Top 10 level, but right now they are edged out by Providence.

Here is where Value Add ranks each Big East team for the season, and the Massey Rankings rank the football teams against all other schools. Updates will be provided here as well as the previews of the other 31 conferences.

Big East/2017 SeedValueAddFootball
Providence 1119
Villanova 120111
Seton Hall 922
Xavier 1127
Butler 436363
Creighton 647
Saint John's52
Marquette 1072
Georgetown141312
DePaul158

Marquette's trio of Markus Howard (171st), Andrew Rowsey (207th) and Sam Hauser (256th) all rank in the top 7 percent of all players. Value Add assigns some of the blame for the horrid defense last year to all players, so any improvement in team defense will lift all players, but if the team continues to try to trade good three-point shooting with uncontested dunks on the other end the defensive ratings will continue to hold down player ratings.

More important of course, is that the high powered only needs an adequate defense to push Marquette back into the tournament.

Here are the top 15 projected players in the conference in order, and the other Marquette players in the top 20 percent of all players. As always, corrections are welcome to pudnerjohn@gmail.com or 404.606.3163.

Nat'l RnkTop 15 Big East PlayersValue AddSchoolHt
15Jalen Brunson 19.16Villanova`6-02
23Mikal Bridges 258.78Villanova`6-07
36Khyri Thomas 28.21Creighton`6-03
39Trevon Bluiett 58.17Xavier`6-06
41Shamorie Ponds 28.13St. John's`6-01
49Angel Delgado7.80Seton Hall`6-10
64JP Macura 557.38Xavier`6-05
67Marcus Foster 07.30Creighton`6-03
95Khadeen Carrington 06.90Seton Hall`6-04
129Kelan Martin 306.51Butler`6-07
134Jalen Lindsey 216.49Providence`6-07
143Emmitt Holt 156.35Providence`6-07
171Markus Howard 06.10Marquette`5-11
197Desi Rodriguez 205.85Seton Hall`6-06
203Jessie Govan 155.82Georgetown`6-10
Nat'l RnkOther MU in top 20%Value AddSchoolHt
207Andrew Rowsey 305.80Marquette`5-10
256Sam Hauser 105.43Marquette`6-06
705Haanif Cheatham 253.32Marquette`6-05

Ken Pomeroy ranked the Big East 3rd of 32 Division 1 basketball conferences, which will all be previewed at www.pudnersports.com with notes on which schools are now "basketball" or "football" schools based on which program is stronger this season. Football revenue is much higher, but programs are much more expensive between equipment and the requirement of matching enough women's scholarships in other sports. Therefore some programs forgo FBS football programs to focus on low cost basketball programs as their biggest revenue sport.

Sports IllustratedFox Sports and ESPN have lauded Value Add Basketball for estimating the number of points each college basketball players is worth to his team above a replacement player - similar to baseball WAR (Wins Above Replacement). Massey Ratings is used for the football rankings above.

Source: St. John's Most Likely to Replace MU to Give Big East 7 Bids Again, Unless MU Defense Improves

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
I noticed Ben Lammers was pretty high up on the value add list. Weren't we recruiting him pretty hard?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
John,
You don't have Anim listed.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I noticed Ben Lammers was pretty high up on the value add list. Weren't we recruiting him pretty hard?

Yeah, he's been a beast for Georgia Tech. Kid really developed well. Though had he committed, he would've likely left when Buzz did a few months later.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

fjm

• All American
Nice article!
But where is our Football ranking?

GGGG

• All American
Yeah, he's been a beast for Georgia Tech. Kid really developed well. Though had he committed, he would've likely left when Buzz did a few months later.

Didn't Buzz stop recruiting him after his official visit?

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
John,
You don't have Anim listed.

Thank you! We do a script for all 4000 players, and the most common glitz is a player who doesn't get in enough stats to build a Value Add and then skips a season, so appreciate the catch!
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Nice article!

We are way ahead of the Badgers. In fact, Wisconsin has lost 275 football games since Marquette was last defeated. And all of our football teams were called Warriors!
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Thank you! We do a script for all 4000 players, and the most common glitz is a player who doesn't get in enough stats to build a Value Add and then skips a season, so appreciate the catch!

When I think Sacar Anim, I think glitz all the way.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

He may have. I want to say we were still on the table when he committed, but it feels like a lifetime ago, just about everything under Buzz.

The killer is that Lammers really would have fit brilliantly on these Wojo teams. Had he committed here and stuck around, I think he would've been the missing piece we needed alongside Henry, the frontcourt anchor that neither Luke nor Matt were, and the ideal starter for this upcoming season. Oh well.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for

That's how I remember it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

From what I remember the quality of the engineering program was really important to Lammers. You really can't beat Georgia Tech in that department.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
From what I remember the quality of the engineering program was really important to Lammers. You really can't beat Georgia Tech in that department.

I forgot about that too. That definitely seemed like a major factor at the time.

bilsu

• All American
We are way ahead of the Badgers. In fact, Wisconsin has lost 275 football games since Marquette was last defeated. And all of our football teams were called Warriors!
Football was before my time, but I also think it was before MU was known as warriors.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
Nice article!

Bring back the team and join the other three.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
I forgot about that too. That definitely seemed like a major factor at the time.

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2017/03/04/ben-lammers-balances-mechanical-engineering-basketball/

Yeah, what is wrong with our administration that we didn't have a 3D printer waiting for all of our recruits! It looks like that is what got him. Georgia Tech is 90 minutes away and my son landed the one Auburn intern spot with Verizon that went along with Georgia Tech students - and those guys are right there with CIT and MIT.