[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: $10/month for movie theater tix  (Read 1431 times)

jesmu84

• All American
$10/month for movie theater tix
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:58:13 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-15/netflix-co-founder-s-crazy-plan-pay-10-a-month-go-to-the-movies-all-you-want

Interesting idea. Sure would encourage me to go more often. The math on the consumer side is a bargain. Not sure how it could sustain though

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: $10/month for movie theater tix
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:40:48 PM »
Interesting. I would definitely subscribe, its a steal. I feel like there is a way to make money off of this....I'd guess the real money in movies comes from the concessions. But as far as I can tell, MoviePass doesn't benefit from concession sales so I'm not sure how this is sustainable.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 06:56:08 PM »
Interesting. I would definitely subscribe, its a steal. I feel like there is a way to make money off of this....I'd guess the real money in movies comes from the concessions. But as far as I can tell, MoviePass doesn't benefit from concession sales so I'm not sure how this is sustrightble.

The head of MoviePass acknowledges that his company is subsidizing ticket buyers and will lose money in the process. However, he believes that MoviePass will be able to prove its value to movie theaters and studios, and that in the future they will cut the company in on their additional profits. Theater owners could also either pay MoviePass back with advertising or give them a percentage of the concessions sales.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »
Movie theaters make all their money on the refreshments, not the tickets.  Even at full price, the distributor typically takes about 90% the first week. It the percentage drops the longer the movie is in the theater.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
The potential benefit of this business concept is that , over time, viewing habits can be more accurately projected and thus the potential exists for less money to be spent on advertising or the advertising becomes more efficient.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire