[Today at 07:17:20 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Which freshman will have the best season/biggest impact

Jamal Cain
23 (18.7%)
Ike Eke
5 (4.1%)
Theo John
91 (74%)
Greg Elliott
4 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Voting closed: August 10, 2017, 09:16:38 PM

Author Topic: Which freshman will have the best season/biggest impact  (Read 6046 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Which freshman will have the best season/biggest impact
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
When I look at the freshman relative to the rest of our roster I believe the best chance for a freshman to make an impact is on the defensive , rebounding end etc.  There are too many incumbent upperclassmen who will either dominate the ball or have significant experience for the freshman to have a chance to make a meaningful offensive impact.

So in that scenario, Ike being the most athletic, fastest  and having  the sense of running the floor has the best chance to come in and be an  instant energy player. I value his speed a lot. Theo will be right there with him doing a lot of dirty work. Cain and Elliot , who both have huge upside, will be getting stronger and adjusting to the physicality of our league etc.   The luxury of having a deep bench is to let those two guys work their way in. Part of my analysis is that Sacar is going to be better than expected and will garner significant time.
I saw Eke play at the Al. I really like his physical potential. However, speed in a freshmen is over rated. That is because the faster a player is the more mistakes a player makes. John will play at a slower pace and hopefully be more fundamentally sound. John in my opinion will play more as a freshmen, but Eke has the higher upside.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:00:08 PM by bilsu »

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »

If you cared to read Dodds piece he feels Ike will be among the all time Great shot blockers in our school history

So you are saying that as a Freshman he will be a foul machine.  Because that is what high school shot blockers do when they enter D1.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
Anybody who thinks Eke will play more then John this year is drawing to the inside straight.

As far as JDs prediction of Eke being 1 of the best shot blockers in MU history.......I don't think he will even be the best shot blocker in his class.

He is raw.....he has upside and athleticism.......classic boom or bust big guy....which is fine.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 01:13:01 PM »

Beyond stupid. They are incredibly accurate at the top.

9 of the top 10 ranked guys last year were 1st round draft picks (the 10th would have been as well if he entered the draft). Also 4 more from rankings 11-19.

The rest of the thousands and thousands of HS players? A total of 3. And one of those was Markkanen who was a foreign guy.

If you want to say that they don't mean a lot when talking about whether a guy is ranked 40th or 81st, then you have a point. That is not what you said though.
It is all relative. I was responding to a post that said Elliot was rated 13th in the Srate of Michigan.  Elliot was something like 6th in the Mr. Basketball rankings. Ostensibly a 2nd or 3rd team All Stater. In Michigan , which is a heavily urban state, with a rich basketball tradition, that is one heck of a player.

Also I would point out JJJ in some polls was ranked as high as 27th. I am a big JJJ fan, but many here are not. So the JJJ Haters would be in the camp that say polls are not worth the paper they are written on.

Another great example of why ratings are fluff. Kemar Baldwin of Butler was rated approximately 199. He turned out to be a Unanimous All Big East rookie selection.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 09:08:46 PM »
JJJ is an example of freshmen quickness that leads to mistakes, which keeps the player off the floor.

feedback