[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Big baller brand gonna pass Nike???  (Read 4097 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Big baller brand gonna pass Nike???
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:31:01 AM »
Well, lavar is still at it.  The web is quickly replacing the picture of narcissist with one of mr. Ball. Along with nut case, delusional, psycho...

Nike did over $32 BILLION last year.  This lavar dude is a modern day Baghdad bob.  If I were any of his kids, I'd be staging an intervention...QUICKLY!!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19213617/lavar-ball-nike-shaking-boots
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Big baller brand gonna pass Nike???
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »
This is something I hate about ESPN and this "Pc" culture from the last few years.

"Raveling, Nike's director of international basketball and the first African-American coach in Pac-12 history (Washington State)" <- This piece of information was completely unnecessary, gave zero to the article, and was only put in there for "diversity" and "pc" 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 03:33:26 PM »
This is something I hate about ESPN and this "Pc" culture from the last few years.

"Raveling, Nike's director of international basketball and the first African-American coach in Pac-12 history (Washington State)" <- This piece of information was completely unnecessary, gave zero to the article, and was only put in there for "diversity" and "pc" 

It has nothing to do with "PC culture."  It describes who he is.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »

It has nothing to do with "PC culture."  It describes who he is.

No. It describes a useless factoid that doesn't matter at all in the context. Had it been  a historical piece of the pac 12 or college coaches. Then it would matter.

Espn could just have easily described that he was the international director for Nike. The being the 1st black coach does nothing for the article.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »
No. It describes a useless factoid that doesn't matter at all in the context. Had it been  a historical piece of the pac 12 or college coaches. Then it would matter.

Espn could just have easily described that he was the international director for Nike. The being the 1st black coach does nothing for the article.

Gotta agree with Unleash on this one. It's germane to the story.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »

what a weird completely non offensive thing to get upset about. Some people just need their panties in a bundle no matter what.
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:22:21 PM »
what a weird completely non offensive thing to get upset about. Some people just need their panties in a bundle no matter what.

I don't think any panties were bundled up here-ok, how about this one-Neil Armstrong, the first Caucasian to step on the moon...does it really matter what his ethnicity is?  Sometimes one just has to turn it around and fill in the gaps

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 12:31:51 AM »
I don't think any panties were bundled up here-ok, how about this one-Neil Armstrong, the first Caucasian to step on the moon...does it really matter what his ethnicity is?  Sometimes one just has to turn it around and fill in the gaps

If the article was about Neil Armstrong, they would have indicated astronaut (first man to walk on the moon), because the part in parentheses enhances his achievement/recognition.  Same for first african american coach in the PAC-12, that is breaking a barrier and enhances his achievement. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 03:50:47 AM »
If the article was about Neil Armstrong, they would have indicated astronaut (first man to walk on the moon), because the part in parentheses enhances his achievement/recognition.  Same for first african american coach in the PAC-12, that is breaking a barrier and enhances his achievement.

Yep. If it was about Neil Armstrong it would have astronaut in it. And if it was about  this guys life you would be right. But all it does is have a quote from him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 07:07:51 AM »

It does matter. Lavar Ball has made racist implications in the past. Race has tinged this discusssion from early on.

I have no idea why this would annoy you.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 10:15:49 AM »
It's a Myron story.  OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO ANNOY ALL READERS.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
Story needs a trigger warning, I guess.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 06:24:47 AM »
lavar triples down on stupid-

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19264024/nike-armour-adidas-not-interested-deal-lonzo-ball

if mr. ball is so sure his tree yutes are all that, go out and raise some venture capital, cut out the middle people(nike, addidas, ua, et.al.) and 'grab that cash with both hands and make a stash"...new car, caviar, 4-star daydream, think i'll buy me a "basketball" team" eyyn'a?

this, my good man chitownspace, is a good example of networking FAIL :D

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 04:55:47 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20520784/high-school-junior-lamelo-ball-now-signature-shoe-395

Zombie Thread!

So is there any way that Lamelo Ball can play for UCLA now? Is it as simple a matter as stopping the shoe sales before he enrolls at UCLA? Or is he just done? Does he get a "my dad is crazy but he's famous for it so can you let this slide?" pass?

Also, how can Lamelo Ball and Liangelo Ball star in Lavar's reality TV series and still be eligible but that kicker from UCF can't have his own youtube channel?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 05:24:07 PM »
I do not think the qualifier about Raveling's race was necessary, and if I had written it I wouldn't have included it.

If the article had mentioned race in some way, I could definitely see the reference being important. But it didn't.

It almost seems the author assumes that Raveling's race matters just because LaVar & family are black. Or he assumes the reader somehow needs to know Raveling's race because of Lonzo's race. Journalistically, both assumptions are wrong, IMHO.

Having said all that, the inclusion of Raveling's race doesn't "bother" me. It's simply unnecessary.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 05:33:55 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20520784/high-school-junior-lamelo-ball-now-signature-shoe-395

Zombie Thread!

So is there any way that Lamelo Ball can play for UCLA now? Is it as simple a matter as stopping the shoe sales before he enrolls at UCLA? Or is he just done? Does he get a "my dad is crazy but he's famous for it so can you let this slide?" pass?

Also, how can Lamelo Ball and Liangelo Ball star in Lavar's reality TV series and still be eligible but that kicker from UCF can't have his own youtube channel?

Unless the kid actually gets a cut of revenues from the shoe, it would seem he'd remain eligible.
And since I suspect no one actually is going to pay money for that monstrosity, he's probably in the clear.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 05:51:41 PM »
Unless the kid actually gets a cut of revenues from the shoe, it would seem he'd remain eligible.
And since I suspect no one actually is going to pay money for that monstrosity, he's probably in the clear.

I'm pretty sure you can't use your name to promote a product for sale and remain eligible
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 06:02:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can't use your name to promote a product for sale and remain eligible

“Generally speaking, a college athlete or prospect paid for use of their athletics reputation or ability risks their future eligibility in that sport,” an NCAA source told Yahoo Sports. “This includes profiting from the sale of items bearing the young person’s name. NCAA rules, however, do allow prospects to promote commercial products prior to enrollment provided it is not for pay.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-lamelo-ball-eligible-play-college-getting-signature-shoe-205022873.html

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »
“Generally speaking, a college athlete or prospect paid for use of their athletics reputation or ability risks their future eligibility in that sport,” an NCAA source told Yahoo Sports. “This includes profiting from the sale of items bearing the young person’s name. NCAA rules, however, do allow prospects to promote commercial products prior to enrollment provided it is not for pay.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-lamelo-ball-eligible-play-college-getting-signature-shoe-205022873.html

It is his direct family that is financially benefiting from this, though. That has to mean something.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2017, 06:24:07 PM »
I just want to know if Heise thinks I should be investing in BBB.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 04:48:55 AM »
ok, let's just say baller brand goes over ok and makes a little money.  lavar buys lamello and liangello plane tickets for a trip to...let's just say greece.  would this be considered an illegal(under the ncaa college athletes eligibility rule illegal)benefit as and disqualify those 2 yutes from playing college ball?

imho-this story ain't gonna end well-the dad is going to muck this up somewhere, sometime, somehow.  i kinda feel sorry for the kids, but lavar's gonna p!ss of the wrong person, get caught in a room full of prostitutes, beat some young thang, drunk driving, whatever...  i'd hate to be the mom of the 3 boys

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 11:09:52 PM »
well, here ya go-the ncaa and lamelo's eligibility no matta, 'ey? the world revolves around lavar, get it?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20554525/lavar-ball-brushes-lamelo-ball-eligibility-concerns-says-ncaa-not-my-boss

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 05:15:12 AM »
I believe you are all missing a key point.  What if the kid simply cannot play basketball very well and ends up with very little organized team experience because "all he did is train".  Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

Apologies to anyone offended by my logical interruption to your dreams of a 15 year old's success at anything...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback