[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1893184 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #1175 on: September 15, 2017, 06:08:15 AM »
You retiring?

No, but if I don't post by tomorrow, you'll know I didn't survive.

Got wished a blessed morning about 12 times at the cash register.  Do they know something????

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: September 15, 2017, 07:37:18 AM »
Greenbush Bakery in Madison.  Sour cream old fashioned donuts are my favorite.  The blueberry and cherry flavors are also outstanding.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:21:31 AM by Lazar's Headband »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1177 on: September 15, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »
Greenbush Bakery is Madison.  Sour cream old fashioned donuts are my favorite.  The blueberry and cherry flavors are also outstanding.

Ever been to the Greenbush Bar down the street?  Best pizza in town.  Been there more than once after Marquette's won at the KC in my most garish gold shirt.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: September 15, 2017, 08:19:11 AM »
I was in the dentist chair last night getting my teeth cleaned and the song Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) comes on.  So I get to wondering how many times I've listened to that song in my lifetime (I was 10 when it came out).  Must be 200 or 300 times minimum I would think, even though I've never purchased it in any format.  Then I started wondering if middle-aged people in 1972 were constantly listening to or hearing songs from the 1910s and 1920s.  Probably not, right?  Something about our generation seems to really like looking to the past more than other generations I think.  Then I wondered why. 

Then I realized that I must've had a great hygienist because I could think about this stuff while she was cleaning my teeth.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: September 15, 2017, 08:22:41 AM »
The Barry Manilow song "Mandy" was originally titled "Brandi" but when the Looking Glass song came out the name was changed.

There's your Barry Manilow trivia for the day...!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1180 on: September 15, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
I was in the dentist chair last night getting my teeth cleaned and the song Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) comes on.  So I get to wondering how many times I've listened to that song in my lifetime (I was 10 when it came out).  Must be 200 or 300 times minimum I would think, even though I've never purchased it in any format.  Then I started wondering if middle-aged people in 1972 were constantly listening to or hearing songs from the 1910s and 1920s.  Probably not, right?  Something about our generation seems to really like looking to the past more than other generations I think.  Then I wondered why. 

Then I realized that I must've had a great hygienist because I could think about this stuff while she was cleaning my teeth.

Kids today definitely listen to more of our music than we did at the same age.  Just go to a classic rock concert and check out the number of people there under the age of 30.  Glow jr. and I went to an AC/DC concert together about 7 or 8 years ago, and he wasn't even embarrassed to be seen with me.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1181 on: September 15, 2017, 08:55:52 AM »
I actually like Waffle House, except for the waffles.

We used to go to the Redneck Riviera (Destin, Fl) every year for spring break. My youngest was obsessed with Waffle House, would have eaten there twice a day if it was up to him. A family tradition was Waffle House for brunch after Easter Sunday Mass. I loved it then, but my last few visits (while on road trips) have left me (and my digestive system) less than satisfied. Thankfully I have no such trouble handling Real Chili.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: September 15, 2017, 09:06:32 AM »
Kids today definitely listen to more of our music than we did at the same age.  Just go to a classic rock concert and check out the number of people there under the age of 30.  Glow jr. and I went to an AC/DC concert together about 7 or 8 years ago, and he wasn't even embarrassed to be seen with me.

I took my daughter to the U2 concert earlier this summer, and it was a great time for both of us.  I had to smile when I visited her dorm room a couple weeks ago and saw that she had a selfie of us from the concert on her wall.  I smiled again this past weekend when she excitedly asked, "Have you heard the new U2 song?!!"
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1183 on: September 15, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »
Isn't this 100% attributable to difficulty of mass distributing recorded music prior to the 1960's and mass distribution led to the industry exponentially growing?

Taking jr. to AC/DC brings up an interesting question: what's the first non symphony concert your parents took you to vs the first one you took your kids to?

My mom took us to The Beach Boys when i was young (8ish) at the Minnesota State Fair VS. i'm taking my 9yr old to the Gorillaz next Friday.  it was supposed to be my wife and i but she can't get into their new album and my son begged me - he might not be the same kid after.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: September 15, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Ever been to the Greenbush Bar down the street?  Best pizza in town.  Been there more than once after Marquette's won at the KC in my most garish gold shirt.

Never been there but have heard good things about the pizza.  My top Madison pizza joints are Luigi's, Salvatore's, and Naples 15.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1185 on: September 15, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
Isn't this 100% attributable to difficulty of mass distributing recorded music prior to the 1960's and mass distribution led to the industry exponentially growing?

Taking jr. to AC/DC brings up an interesting question: what's the first non symphony concert your parents took you to vs the first one you took your kids to?

My mom took us to The Beach Boys when i was young (8ish) at the Minnesota State Fair VS. i'm taking my 9yr old to the Gorillaz next Friday.  it was supposed to be my wife and i but she can't get into their new album and my son begged me - he might not be the same kid after.
My parents only liked 50's music. None would come down here. Took my kids to see AC/DC, The Police, GnR, Aerosmith. Rolling Stones were too expensive so only wife and I went (they were not happy).
Goal is National Championship

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: September 15, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »

I don't think I have ever gone to a concert with my parents.  With 5 kids, we didn't go out much together.  My musical memories of my parents consist of us visiting their "cool" friends in the early 70's where the kids would hang out in the basement and listen the adults were semi-drunkenly singing "Hey Jude" and "Down on the Corner" upstairs.
Have some patience, FFS.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: September 15, 2017, 10:28:18 AM »
I don't think I have ever gone to a concert with my parents.  With 5 kids, we didn't go out much together.  My musical memories of my parents consist of us visiting their "cool" friends in the early 70's where the kids would hang out in the basement and listen the adults were semi-drunkenly singing "Hey Jude" and "Down on the Corner" upstairs.

My father loved the Fifth Dimension and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.  That's all I remember about my parents musical tastes.  I certainly wasn't digging into their record collection to hear some music, that's for sure.  As the 5th of 7 I had older siblings who introduced me to "cool" music.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1188 on: September 15, 2017, 10:33:25 AM »
Best donut place you've ever been to?

For me, it was Red's Donuts in Paducah, KY.  Old school, basic stuff, but just phenomenal.

that would be the old House of Cakes that was in Menomonee Falls

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: September 15, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
that would be the old House of Cakes that was in Menomonee Falls

Around here there is a place called Crazy Donuts that makes great donuts from simple glazed, cinnamon sugar, etc to interesting ones like the Elvis (topped with peanut butter and bananas) and Samoas (like the girl scout cookies) or with bacon.  I prefer the simpler ones and their French Toast donut is really good.  Unlike most of you, I also loved Krispy Kreme donuts when they were hot off the machine, though I agree they were not nearly as good an hour later.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: September 15, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »

Really good question.  My parents were born in the early 1930s.  I never saw a concert with them.  But they were cool enough to let me go and I've been a 'concert-file' (just made that up) since I was about 14 years old.  In contrast, I've seen numerous concerts with my kids.

Funny. When one's son is about 16 and you have very little in common and find it hard to talk in the old days you simply had sports as a touchstone but nowadays you can add music in many cases too.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: September 15, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »
My father loved the Fifth Dimension and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.  That's all I remember about my parents musical tastes.  I certainly wasn't digging into their record collection to hear some music, that's for sure.  As the 5th of 7 I had older siblings who introduced me to "cool" music.

My parents also like the Fifth Dimension.  Also, Blood, Sweat, and Tears (which as a kid, I thought was a very gross name for a band) and Three Dog Night.
Have some patience, FFS.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: September 15, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »

Clearly you could not get that fine dental care in Mequon or Waukesha.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: September 15, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »

My dad took me to see BB King when I was in high school.  It was a great show.  A couple of summers ago, I took my three girls to see Imagine Dragons.  Another great show, and we had a lot of fun.  And there was the aforementioned U2 concert with my oldest daughter.

My wife, on the other hand, has taken my girls to see The Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift and One Direction.  Clearly, I've gotten the better end of the deal as between my wife and me.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: September 15, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »

Oughta tink 'bout changin' tooth fairies ta someone a little more hip and trendy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1195 on: September 15, 2017, 01:52:08 PM »
Haven't gone to a live concert in ages - with or without kids - but my daughter definitely listens to more of my era of music than I listened to my parents'.  Her playlist includes everything from AC/DC to Fleetwood Mac to Billy Joel and more.

I've never added a 40s or 50s era song (my parents' era) to any playlist....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: September 15, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »
Haven't gone to a live concert in ages - with or without kids - but my daughter definitely listens to more of my era of music than I listened to my parents'.  Her playlist includes everything from AC/DC to Fleetwood Mac to Billy Joel and more.

Let's put political correctness aside and be honest about this.  The reason we don't listen to our parents' music is because it totally sucked.  And the reason our kids listen to more of our music is because it was pretty awesome.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1197 on: September 15, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »

Billy Joel sucks.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1198 on: September 15, 2017, 05:03:02 PM »
Let's put political correctness aside and be honest about this.  The reason we don't listen to our parents' music is because it totally sucked.  And the reason our kids listen to more of our music is because it was pretty awesome.

I'm with you there, bro....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1199 on: September 15, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »
Billy Joel sucks.

Actually, I kinda agree with you now. Back in the day, I did like 42nd Street, but of the old stuff in my collection, he is the artist I listen to the least - in fact, I can't remember the last time I played anything of his. I mainly mentioned him because my daughter likes him.

I just wish I could get her to like some of my other old stuff - Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Springsteen (before Born in the USA).