[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1893343 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: NM
« Reply #700 on: August 21, 2017, 12:42:45 PM »
How 'bout this eclipse?

Turning the world dark, hey Doc!

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #701 on: August 21, 2017, 12:44:30 PM »
So is anyone in the path of totality? Glow Jr. Is. He went down to Nashville to stay with my folks.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #702 on: August 21, 2017, 12:49:16 PM »

Limiting someone's ability to speak at an academic institution has all sorts of negative consequences.  However that is not "banning free speech."

Oh please. Freedom of Speech is under attack throughout the world. Including here in the United States.

There are Voltaire's and Robespierre's in this world. Reread Candide for insight.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #703 on: August 21, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »
I have friends who headed for Carbondale.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #704 on: August 21, 2017, 12:52:57 PM »
Half light here in Bellevue. Werewolves heard howling from Building 10 on the MSFT campus.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #705 on: August 21, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »
Oh please. Freedom of Speech is under attack throughout the world. Including here in the United States.

That's not what you said before.  You said: "One of the most offensive weapons employed by ideologues is banning free speech."

"Ban" and "attack" are two different words with two very different meanings.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #706 on: August 21, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
Your logic is obtuse. Forget about slavery, the right to tax, regulate commerce, or any other specific matter. The issue of treason by citizens of the Confederacy rests entirely on the right of a sovereign state to secede.

Like I said, when 13 colonies declared independence in 1776 there was war.  In 1861, certain states started to declare independence.  The result was war.  Both instances were settled on the battlefield rather than the courts.  Conclusion: Legal rights only extend as far as the parties of the government and the governed agree; when they disagree on that line the result is war.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #707 on: August 21, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
That's not what you said before.  You said: "One of the most offensive weapons employed by ideologues is banning free speech."

"Ban" and "attack" are two different words with two very different meanings.

Freedom of Speech is both under attack and being banned. Denying access to a venue which is dedicated to free and unemcumbered speech is a ban and particularly heinous.

Arguing otherwise is specious.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #708 on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »
Freedom of Speech is both under attack and being banned. Denying access to a venue which is dedicated to free and unemcumbered speech is a ban and particularly heinous.

What venues "dedicated to free and unemcumbered speech" are people being denied access to?

In many ways, it is actually much easier to share "free and unemcumbered speech" to a much greater audience than it was a generation ago.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #709 on: August 21, 2017, 01:22:39 PM »
How 'bout this eclipse?
Just passed through KC - pretty damned cool.  I wouldn't have traveled for it but having every non-human thing think it's night was well worth the experience and we're on the very southern edge where 'totality' was like 20 seconds.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #710 on: August 21, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »
Just passed through KC - pretty damned cool.  I wouldn't have traveled for it but having every non-human thing think it's night was well worth the experience and we're on the very southern edge where 'totality' was like 20 seconds.

here in southeastern wisconsin-if i wouldn't have known there was a total eclipse, i would say they are all full of it.  it is quite overcast, yet the sunlight should still have been limited, right?  for 83%?  one would not have noticed

don't...don't don't don't don't

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #711 on: August 21, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Milwaukee report .. clouds were wispy enough to see the sun, so that was ok.  But even at 84% it .. wasn't that cool.  It was dimmer, but on the excitement-o-meter, about a 2.

My co-worker did drive down south of STL last night and livecasted on Facebook just now .. watched his video .. it was odd how light it was .. maybe it was just a really good camera phone, but it didn't seem very dark in his video.

Yadda yadda .. before someone started passing glasses around, I did glance at the sun a few times .. not a good idea.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #712 on: August 21, 2017, 01:39:17 PM »

What venues "dedicated to free and unemcumbered speech" are people being denied access to?

In many ways, it is actually much easier to share "free and unemcumbered speech" to a much greater audience than it was a generation ago.

you do get/see the news, right?  if i were to announce that i am speaking on fill in the blank "controversial topic" and a large group threatens to fill the place with guys in masks, torches, clubs, vandalism, tipping/burning cars, looting, etc  the local law enforcement tells me that i best cancel for the safety of many,  that would be denying free speech in my book

there are veys and there are other veys-some of these are not so pleasant, ein'er?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #713 on: August 21, 2017, 01:40:17 PM »
I have friends who headed for Carbondale.

This is why you never spend money in anticipation of natural phenomenon.  Your friends probably didn't drop much coin if they drove, but imagine those people who spent a few grand to get to Kansas City for the eclipse only to have thunderstorms during totality.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #714 on: August 21, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »
you do get/see the news, right?  if i were to announce that i am speaking on fill in the blank "controversial topic" and a large group threatens to fill the place with guys in masks, torches, clubs, vandalism, tipping/burning cars, looting, etc  the local law enforcement tells me that i best cancel for the safety of many,  that would be denying free speech in my book

Record from home.  Post on internet.  Nothing is banned.  You are free to say what you want.

I am not saying your scenario is "right."  Just saying it's not "banning free speech."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #715 on: August 21, 2017, 01:54:17 PM »
Constantly confusing free speech (something that laws should not be passed to prohibit) and being free from consequences of free speech.  In this case, people controlling venues are not interested in the consequences of you using their venue for free speech.  In other free words, they are choosing their right of free association over the anticipated outcomes of your free speech.
You can say what you want.  Others are free to shout you down.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:17:57 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #716 on: August 21, 2017, 02:04:56 PM »
Milwaukee report .. clouds were wispy enough to see the sun, so that was ok.  But even at 84% it .. wasn't that cool.  It was dimmer, but on the excitement-o-meter, about a 2.

CT was good -- we had some clouds but still visible.  Buffalo 2024 - wings and totality.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #717 on: August 21, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
70% coverage here in Southern Connecticut.  We're looking through a weld mask at work.  Very cool to see.  Trying to take photos with a good camera through the weld mask.  Not so good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #718 on: August 21, 2017, 02:16:32 PM »

There are three kinds of forums according to the Supreme Court. Public, limited, and closed. If you can find an example of a public forum being denied to someone, or a limited forum being denied based on viewpoint alone I would probably agree with you. But the examples media tend to point to are usually closed or limited forums. Most interior spaces on college campuses are considered either limited or closed forums.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #719 on: August 21, 2017, 02:23:41 PM »
It was about 80% here in Cleveland.  Very cool to look at through the glasses, but otherwise not nearly as dramatic as I expected.  It was a bit dimmer than usual, but the sun was still so bright that I don't think I really would have noticed much of anything if I hadn't known about it.  Aside from a couple times when just starting to pass behind a cloud when you could see it with your naked eye, there wasn't much at all to see without the glasses.  Before hand, I was wondering how dark it would get.  The answer:  not very.  At all.

Now, seven years from now we'll be right in the past of totality.  So, there's that.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #720 on: August 21, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
There are three kinds of forums according to the Supreme Court. Public, limited, and closed. If you can find an example of a public forum being denied to someone, or a limited forum being denied based on viewpoint alone I would probably agree with you. But the examples media tend to point to are usually closed or limited forums. Most interior spaces on college campuses are considered either limited or closed forums.
Says the guy who's 'other' school just limited free speech on campus by cancelling a white nationalist rally.  Of course that is going to be your position.   ::)

((teal (or is it 'teel' now?))

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #721 on: August 21, 2017, 03:01:05 PM »
 In Des Moines for the evening    Any good barbecue or steak places in this town ?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #722 on: August 21, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »
In Des Moines for the evening    Any good barbecue or steak places in this town ?

I have been to the 801 Chophouse a handful of times.  Very good.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #723 on: August 21, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
I'll ask my son works in Des Moines yes the one that went to ISU
Goal is National Championship

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #724 on: August 21, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »
Sew, you're Burton's dad, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback