[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1893817 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: NM
« Reply #10575 on: October 05, 2021, 06:02:24 AM »
Wtf? Belair and conejitos are fantastic! Real chili I can at least understand some people not being a fan but it's a cult classic. I didn't know victors had food and i wouldn't touch it if it was the last food on earth.

Eating at Victor's would be like eating the strip club buffet.

Conijitos is awesome.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10576 on: October 05, 2021, 06:45:06 AM »

Conijitos is awesome.

They use in house sourced yeast for their "home made bread"
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #10577 on: October 05, 2021, 07:23:22 AM »

Conijitos is awesome.

It’s even more awesomer with Mobcraft next door.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #10578 on: October 05, 2021, 08:35:52 AM »
Wtf? Belair and conejitos are fantastic! Real chili I can at least understand some people not being a fan but it's a cult classic. I didn't know victors had food and i wouldn't touch it if it was the last food on earth.

Many have said over the years the steaks are outstanding at Victors.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10579 on: October 05, 2021, 08:51:44 AM »
Happy National Cinnamon Roll Day! Celebrate accordingly.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10580 on: October 05, 2021, 08:59:14 AM »
Many have said over the years the steaks are outstanding at Victors.

Is it served with a cream sauce they scraped off the floor from the night before?
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10581 on: October 05, 2021, 09:43:23 AM »
Super don't understand the hate for Bel Air.   It's tacos.  Meat, veggies, sauce, tortilla. 

I'd rather each taco be a dollar cheaper, but no surprise there.  Otherwise, it's quality.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10583 on: October 05, 2021, 09:51:11 AM »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10584 on: October 05, 2021, 10:18:41 AM »
Super don't understand the hate for Bel Air.   It's tacos.  Meat, veggies, sauce, tortilla. 

I'd rather each taco be a dollar cheaper, but no surprise there.  Otherwise, it's quality.

It's fine. Not the best, definitely not the worst. That honor goes to their sister restaurant in Shorewood.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #10585 on: October 05, 2021, 01:33:58 PM »

People that hate Conejitos are snobs who probably haven't eaten the food or made up their mind that it was gross before they enjoyed the incredible food.

I don't hate Conejitos but have never been a big fan especially the paper plates and plastic forks but they do have great huevos rancheros, bring back Acapulco for good cheap Mexican fare.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10586 on: October 05, 2021, 01:47:54 PM »

I'm going to assume it's a regional thing. Bel Air is the high water mark for tacos in Wisconsin for many people (there are many other much better places IMHO). Bel Air would never survive in the south.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10587 on: October 05, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »
I'm going to assume it's a regional thing. Bel Air is the high water mark for tacos in Wisconsin for many people (there are many other much better places IMHO). Bel Air would never survive in the south.

Torchy's is insanely successful and not all that dissimilar. 

And I disagree its a high water mark, Milwaukee and Chicago has as good of authentic/traditional Mexican food as you would find closer to the border, due to the demographics (same reason that New York has comparatively mediocre Mexican cause their demographics skew more towards the Spanish-speaking island diaspora).  Its just upscale contemporary tacos/Mexican fare in a bit more Americanized setting.  Ive been to numerous successful and similar places in Austin and Dallas.  Its comp is not some super authentic Mexican mom and pop joint that serving traditional regional Mexican street tacos.

I enjoy Bel Air but I don't think its the end all be all nor does it have the best tacos in Milwaukee by a long shot, and I would think many of its defenders here would say the same.  But that's a far cry from acting like its utter trash with terrible tasting food.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10588 on: October 05, 2021, 03:16:13 PM »
The best Mexican food I've had in Milwaukee is Tavo Signature. Absolutely delicious and same quality in Chicago would be $5-10 more each dish. If any of you haven't been there give it a shot.

I don't think Bel Air is comparable to authentic tacos. Same with someone who said Velvet Tacos or Big Star are good in Chicago. Obviously they aren't meant to be traditional but they're still great.
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10589 on: October 05, 2021, 04:33:28 PM »
How about Mexican breakfast?

Starting with breakfast burritos, the Broken Yolk is pretty good.  Not going to call it gourmet, though.

Obb’s  on da East Side is tasty. 

Love me some chilaquiles.  Con chorizo, or no. Andale Taqueria y Mercado.

Huevos Rancheros, suggest your fave…..

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10590 on: October 05, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »
How about Mexican breakfast?

Starting with breakfast burritos, the Broken Yolk is pretty good.  Not going to call it gourmet, though.

Obb’s  on da East Side is tasty. 

Love me some chilaquiles.  Con chorizo, or no. Andale Taqueria y Mercado.

Huevos Rancheros, suggest your fave…..
I am very bullish on Broken Yolk.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10591 on: October 05, 2021, 07:27:43 PM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10592 on: October 05, 2021, 09:50:30 PM »
I am very bullish on Broken Yolk.

I like the Yolk, but that burrito was one of the worst breakfast experiences I’ve ever had.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10593 on: October 05, 2021, 10:14:57 PM »
Torchy's is insanely successful and not all that dissimilar. 

And I disagree its a high water mark, Milwaukee and Chicago has as good of authentic/traditional Mexican food as you would find closer to the border, due to the demographics (same reason that New York has comparatively mediocre Mexican cause their demographics skew more towards the Spanish-speaking island diaspora).  Its just upscale contemporary tacos/Mexican fare in a bit more Americanized setting.  Ive been to numerous successful and similar places in Austin and Dallas.  Its comp is not some super authentic Mexican mom and pop joint that serving traditional regional Mexican street tacos.

I enjoy Bel Air but I don't think its the end all be all nor does it have the best tacos in Milwaukee by a long shot, and I would think many of its defenders here would say the same.  But that's a far cry from acting like its utter trash with terrible tasting food.

1. Torchy's is way better and I think Torchy's is grossly overrated

2. I'm not acting. I honestly think it's utter trash with terrible tasting food. Others don't and that's okay. Tasty is in the tongue of the eater.
TAMU

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10594 on: October 06, 2021, 12:54:32 PM »
1. Torchy's is way better and I think Torchy's is grossly overrated

2. I'm not acting. I honestly think it's utter trash with terrible tasting food. Others don't and that's okay. Tasty is in the tongue of the eater.

Don't disagree that Torchys is overrated.

Fair enough, you're literally the only person Ive heard trash Bel Air with such ferocity.  Its not everyone's favorite but you're singular in making it out to be an abomination with inedible food.  Then to play the SouthWest/TexMex snobby card is bush league.  Its like people I know from NY that can't believe Chicago has fine dining restaurants that compete despite never being to the city.

If my sister's fiancee from Texas, my manufacturing lead who grew up in Guadalajara, and a good friend who spent the last decade in Tuscon all think that its anywhere from pretty good to very good, I can be reasonable sure its not some "must be that the podunk Midwesterners don't know Mexican food like in the SW."  That doesn't invalidate your opinions, which you're certainly entitled to and isn't uninformed, but it does lead me to aggressively side eye your "Midwesterners know less about tacos than me" nonsense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10595 on: October 06, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »

I have several friends who think the Mexican food in Wisconsin is better than the Mexican food in Phoenix... where they live.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10596 on: October 06, 2021, 01:48:39 PM »
I have several friends who think the Mexican food in Wisconsin is better than the Mexican food in Phoenix... where they live.

I'll gladly back this up. I've had better Mexican food in both Milwaukee and Chicago...and Joliet for that matter than Phoenix and not for lack of trying. Though I did find a fantastic taco spot last time down by Arizona Wilderness that could hold its own with anything I've had
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10597 on: October 06, 2021, 02:33:31 PM »

There are some excellent Mexican places in Wisconsin that are lot better than many places I've tried in the south. Bel Air isn't a Mexican place.

Fair enough, you're literally the only person Ive heard trash Bel Air with such ferocity.  Its not everyone's favorite but you're singular in making it out to be an abomination with inedible food.  Then to play the SouthWest/TexMex snobby card is bush league.  Its like people I know from NY that can't believe Chicago has fine dining restaurants that compete despite never being to the city.

Based on how I posted, this reaction is fair. But I don't believe that Wisconsin doesn't have good taco places or Mexican places. There are many awesome places including one of the other places listed in the article. I just don't think Bel Air is one of them.

If my sister's fiancee from Texas, my manufacturing lead who grew up in Guadalajara, and a good friend who spent the last decade in Tuscon all think that its anywhere from pretty good to very good, I can be reasonable sure its not some "must be that the podunk Midwesterners don't know Mexican food like in the SW."  That doesn't invalidate your opinions, which you're certainly entitled to and isn't uninformed, but it does lead me to aggressively side eye your "Midwesterners know less about tacos than me" nonsense.

I don't assume midwesterners know less than tacos about me. However I do question the taco knowledge of the many people who have insisted to me that Bel Air is the best tacos they've ever had.
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10598 on: October 06, 2021, 02:41:19 PM »
Mexican food in MKE is extremely good. We have had a large Mexican population for many years and the food is first rate. On a side note, I have been to a ton of Mexican private parties/meals over the years and the food has been out of this world. I was very fortunate to work with about 125 Mexican's for twenty years at previous stop in my career. Every Saturday in the summer we had a big meal at work and really miss my co-workers from '80's and 90's.

My all time favorite Mexican joint in MKE was Sabina's on 5th in Mineral. The food was fantastic and the staff was equally as fantastic. As for Conejito's, we had our company Xmas party catered by Conjeito's for twenty years and we always made sure Jose was extra lit up for our party.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10599 on: October 06, 2021, 03:10:01 PM »
I don't assume midwesterners know less than tacos about me. However I do question the taco knowledge of the many people who have insisted to me that Bel Air is the best tacos they've ever had.

Now thats totally fair.  Probably the same people like my old coworkers who called this incredible taqueria we used to go to in Chicago "weird" and not super tasty cause they didn't have shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream on their cochinita pibil or al pastor tacos.