[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1893230 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: NM
« Reply #7625 on: November 19, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
Reminds me of when I got my first nice car (using a work car allowance).  A colleague (who didn't receive a car allowance) asked me how I liked it.  I said my only complaint was that the button for the heated steering wheel was inconveniently located way down low.  As I realized the absurdity of what I was complaining about, I immediately followed up with, "And I'll shut the f*** up now."  We still laugh about it to this day.

:D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7626 on: November 19, 2019, 02:44:37 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #7627 on: November 19, 2019, 03:22:52 PM »
Same with the Frankenstein chicken breasts, which are tough and tasteless.
had cotton candy grapes from the grapery this year...odd, and good.for.about 3 grapes. After that way.too sweet.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7628 on: November 19, 2019, 03:33:10 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/little-league-umpire-punched-face-fan-disagrees-call-085421709--abc-news-topstories.html

MU82?   Did this guy attack you?
I used to umpire little league and senior little league (13-15 year olds) in my late teens in the 80s and 90s and did a little fill in work at other levels for the leagues I coached in in the past 10-15 years.  How hostile the parents are now compared to then is amazing.  When I was playing, the coach might occasionally get upset but my parents couldn't care less about umpire calls.  It rubbed off on me as I have never been one as a parent or a coach to ride refs or umpires.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7629 on: November 19, 2019, 03:37:08 PM »
7th grade basketball game Saturday, the refs actually stopped the game and talked to two grandfathers of players, asking them to spend more time cheering and less time complaining.    The grandfathers responded with something along the lines of... if you didn't suck so bad, we would be able to cheer for our grandsons.   At which point the official went and found the AD of the school hosting the game, gave him a rundown, and the AD came and sat next to the two newly mute grandfathers.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7630 on: November 19, 2019, 05:04:44 PM »
I used to umpire little league and senior little league (13-15 year olds) in my late teens in the 80s and 90s and did a little fill in work at other levels for the leagues I coached in in the past 10-15 years.  How hostile the parents are now compared to then is amazing.  When I was playing, the coach might occasionally get upset but my parents couldn't care less about umpire calls.  It rubbed off on me as I have never been one as a parent or a coach to ride refs or umpires.

I played in a couple of leagues during middle and high school during the late 70s, and parents rarely even showed up. The only adults were the coaches and umpires, and most of us arrived on our bikes. When we were 16+, some of us even arrived in cars(!).

On the relatively infrequent occasions where parents did show up - tournaments on holiday weekends, and such - the worst exchanges were typically the occasional "oh, c'mon ump!" I can't recall a single real argument.

Now the parents are ubiquitous and the arguments commonplace. Alas, alas....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7631 on: November 19, 2019, 05:14:27 PM »
Brewers bringing back logo and uniforms from the 80s.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28115253/milwaukee-brewers-bring-back-iconic-logo-new-uniforms

With the Brewers embarking on their 50th season in Milwaukee in 2020, the team has introduced a new logo and uniforms. And while the "new" primary logo has some minor updates, it is a throwback to one of baseball's most popular logos ever, one with a clever bit of mystery to it.

The beauty of that logo, beyond its simplicity, is the hidden image of the team's initials -- a lowercase "m" and "b" -- that combine to form the glove. (You knew that, right?) Discovering that "secret" has resulted in aha moments for baseball fans -- and Brewers players -- for more than 40 years.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #7632 on: November 19, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »
Brewers bringing back logo and uniforms from the 80s.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28115253/milwaukee-brewers-bring-back-iconic-logo-new-uniforms

With the Brewers embarking on their 50th season in Milwaukee in 2020, the team has introduced a new logo and uniforms. And while the "new" primary logo has some minor updates, it is a throwback to one of baseball's most popular logos ever, one with a clever bit of mystery to it.

The beauty of that logo, beyond its simplicity, is the hidden image of the team's initials -- a lowercase "m" and "b" -- that combine to form the glove. (You knew that, right?) Discovering that "secret" has resulted in aha moments for baseball fans -- and Brewers players -- for more than 40 years.

I like the old lighter version of blue as opposed to navy for these, but these look really good. The biggest problem is someone compared the blue alternates to the cub scout uniforms and now I can't unsee it.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7633 on: November 19, 2019, 06:44:42 PM »
We had a 5th grade basketball tourney semi-final game go to sudden death this weekend.  Tied after regulation, still tied after OT, so they tipped the ball and played to the first basket. 

Never has 5th grade basketball been so exciting. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #7634 on: November 19, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »
We had a 5th grade basketball tourney semi-final game go to sudden death this weekend.  Tied after regulation, still tied after OT, so they tipped the ball and played to the first basket. 

Never has 5th grade basketball been so exciting.
when i coached a 5th grade girls team we won 2-0 in triple overtime no sudden death. Exciting for the coaches and players, parents sitting through that on bleachers maybe not so much.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #7635 on: November 19, 2019, 06:58:41 PM »

I like the old lighter version of blue as opposed to navy for these, but these look really good. The biggest problem is someone compared the blue alternates to the cub scout uniforms and now I can't unsee it.

Bring back Barrelman
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7636 on: November 19, 2019, 07:02:45 PM »

Bring back Barrelman

Barrelman has already been back.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #7637 on: November 19, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »

Bring back Barrelman
Love barrelman. Back in the early 70's the Sentinel always had a sad barrelman or happy barrelman on the front page so you could quickly check if the Brewers won or lost. I never really  liked the glove logo not sure why.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7638 on: November 19, 2019, 07:15:25 PM »
Barrelman has already been back.

Bring back the two-fisted slopper! And the version of Bernie Brewer that was simply a member of the grounds crew wearing blue lederhosen!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:11:36 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #7639 on: November 19, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #7640 on: November 19, 2019, 08:46:03 PM »
We have told vendors NOT to serve those for whom that next glass could be that one too many.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7641 on: November 19, 2019, 09:11:12 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yCGILO65jSM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yCGILO65jSM</a>

You're welcome.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7642 on: November 19, 2019, 09:59:04 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7643 on: November 20, 2019, 08:00:12 AM »
The two-fisted slopper thing is awesome to remember ..

I'm curious .. this is from a bygone era (sort of) .. but do/did other stadiums have to make that kind of video/slogan?   Were Cubs, Yankees, Royals, Braves fans so drunken, they needed behavior reminders?

I'm guessing it's just a sad, drunk Wisconsin thing.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7644 on: November 20, 2019, 08:07:14 AM »

I'm curious .. this is from a bygone era (sort of) .. but do/did other stadiums have to make that kind of video/slogan?   Were Cubs, Yankees, Royals, Braves fans so drunken, they needed behavior reminders?

Right in my prime brother!   ;D

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7645 on: November 20, 2019, 08:09:03 AM »

They should have...but they didn't.  The difference is that in Wisconsin, it's okay to be drunk, as long as you are a nice, polite drunk.
Have some patience, FFS.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7646 on: November 20, 2019, 08:50:55 AM »
They should have...but they didn't.  The difference is that in Wisconsin, it's okay to be drunk, as long as you are a nice, polite drunk.
Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park were full of fall down, lets get into a fight drunks in the 70s.  I remember a drunk guy at Yankee Stadium throwing bills off the upper deck to watch people fight for them below and laughing his a$$ off.  First Fenway game I took my wife to in the early 80s the guy next to us was so drunk he upchucked all over himself in the 6th inning or so.  We had to move away while they came and hosed the area down.  I thought I'd never get her to a game again.

Only recent experience that can compare was in Oakland a few years back.  A lot of two-fisted drinkers in line to get in the park, and fights and drunks galore during the game.  My wife and son were appalled while I was sitting back and thinking it was like old times.  I never see that at all any more, so Oakland really stood out.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #7647 on: November 20, 2019, 09:02:53 AM »
Isn't a frequent "bing" drinker just an alcoholic?  Or a form of alcoholism?   That is what I was taught, but maybe I was lied to  >:(  I was taught that if alcohol interferes with your life, you've got a problem.

But I think bingers are at all ball parks in equal numbers.  And as an MU student, I was one of them on at least one occasion.  But not angry and not yelling, and didn't throw up, so no one seemed to care.  But man, does growing older have its benefits.  Over drinking, what a waste of time.  Sorry to those who still enjoy it.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #7648 on: November 20, 2019, 09:47:48 AM »
Isn't a frequent "bing" drinker just an alcoholic?  Or a form of alcoholism?   That is what I was taught, but maybe I was lied to  >:(  I was taught that if alcohol interferes with your life, you've got a problem.

But I think bingers are at all ball parks in equal numbers.  And as an MU student, I was one of them on at least one occasion.  But not angry and not yelling, and didn't throw up, so no one seemed to care.  But man, does growing older have its benefits.  Over drinking, what a waste of time.  Sorry to those who still enjoy it.

Bing drinker, you say?

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7649 on: November 20, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »

There might be a clinical definition of "alcoholic," but colloquially, I think most people recognize that - paraphrasing what you said - it isn't a problem unless it's a problem.

Whatever the case, Wisconsin is by no means an anomaly when it comes to alcoholism... there's a certain truth to "developing a tolerance" and knowing how to drink (the various "beer before liquor" rhymes) that makes it difficult to assess alcoholism based on consumption alone.  Anecdotally, I'm sure most every one of us would need more than our fingers (and toes) to count the number of people we know who drink what we'd consider "a lot" yet don't get into trouble and are still productive members of society.

Further, DUI and vehicle deaths are also a poor metric for assessing alcoholism.  Consider Wisconsin's per capita 'ABCD' rankings:

Alcohol consumption: 8th
Beer consumption: 5th
Cause of vehicle fatality (%age of total vehicle fatalities): 6th
DUI Arrests: 10th

Given A&B, C&D shouldn't be a surprise.  However, these stats are not adjusted for "rurality"... in other words, it would appear that there's a correlation between A&B and C&D for Wisconsin, but if you looked at the City of Chicago's ABCD against the rest of Illinois' ABCD, that correlation isn't going to be as strong because of the "walkability" factor in the city as well as the availability of public transportation in Chicago driving down the vehicle-related metrics. 

So neither A&B nor C&D can be used as a reliable a predictor of alcoholism; you could have tens of thousands of people living in Manhattan (who don't own cars) that are drinking themselves to an early grave every night... and those stats wouldn't be captured by ABCD.  Further, consider Wisconsin's DUI death rate: 22nd.  Put into perspective, Wisconsin's DUI death rate (3.42 per 100k) is nearly identical to (similarly rural) Indiana (3.39) and Nebraska (3.42); however, Wisconsin consumes 37% and 34% more alcohol per capita, respectively.

In short, the only way to assess alcoholism is to observe the person for an extended period of time; say perhaps, 5 years, and then judge.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.