[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1893849 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #7500 on: October 17, 2019, 12:00:28 PM »
Sprecher Black Bavarian

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #7501 on: October 17, 2019, 12:12:42 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-49945583

J.R.R. Tolkien house where he wrote The Hobbit for sale.

Wonder if they'd give us a discount so we could "complete our set"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7502 on: October 17, 2019, 12:52:12 PM »
Hard eyeroll at the Cow.

A Cow is not available in Chicago which is why I referenced in regards to the faux MKE Bloody for the Chicago wannabes.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7503 on: October 17, 2019, 12:54:14 PM »
A sidecar is a cocktail.

The beer you get with your bloody is either called a chaser / beer chaser or a snit (if it comes in a glass).

Personal favorite beer chaser is the High Life pony.

I thought so too, but as it was explained to me, a Bloody is savored, not chased. A sidecar is an accoutrement. 

Discuss.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7504 on: October 17, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
I thought so too, but as it was explained to me, a Bloody is savored, not chased. A sidecar is an accoutrement. 

Discuss.

That's some malarkey.

You take a drink of a spicy bloody and then you chase that drink with a sip of lager beer to cleanse / refresh the palate.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7505 on: October 17, 2019, 01:33:52 PM »
I chased my Bloody Mary with a beer ... after I was done with the Bloody Mary. That's how I roll!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7506 on: October 17, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »
That's some malarkey.

You take a drink of a spicy bloody and then you chase that drink with a sip of lager beer to cleanse / refresh the palate.

A sidecar, I believe historically, is a balance of brandy with a lemon liqueur...maybe more as a digestive....which refers to a balance of sweet and acidic...similar to a bloody balancer in that slang usage of the term.

A chaser follows a shot or sip of hard liquor like a shot of whiskey where the definition comes from I believe.  Again a balancer.  I have also seen people pour the beer directly into the Bloody to balance the acid and spice in one sip. I thought that was weird too but it’s not bad when the Bloody is overbalanced.

I can see the history and application of either term.  That said, I am now using snit...although I had always thought it was a chaser too. Only in MKE do we get into such discussions of bar terms.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7507 on: October 17, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »
I chased my Bloody Mary with a beer ... after I was done with the Bloody Mary. That's how I roll!

How East Coast philistine of you...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7508 on: October 17, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »
Ok .. I think it's time to show my boys a Halloween/horror type movie.

Halloween?
Nightmare on Elm Street?
Poltergeist?
Exorcist?
Scream?
Child's Play (Chucky)?

Admittedly, I haven't watched any of those movies in 30 years.  I fear they haven't "aged" well.

I would put Nightmare on Elm Street right up there with Exorcist and probably scarier to kids since it is about kids (plus it has Johnny Depp in his 1st flick)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #7509 on: October 17, 2019, 03:22:14 PM »

Halloween?
Nightmare on Elm Street?
Poltergeist?
Exorcist?
Scream?
Child's Play (Chucky)?

Admittedly, I haven't watched any of those movies in 30 years.  I fear they haven't "aged" well.

Halloween. I watch it every year and think it holds up just fine.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7510 on: October 17, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
Ghost adventures.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7511 on: October 17, 2019, 05:17:12 PM »

Halloween?
Nightmare on Elm Street?
Poltergeist?
Exorcist?
Scream?
Child's Play (Chucky)?

How old are these boys again?
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7512 on: October 17, 2019, 05:57:32 PM »
11 and 13.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7513 on: October 17, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7514 on: October 17, 2019, 08:54:56 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7515 on: October 17, 2019, 09:31:08 PM »
IMO, Exorcist and Halloween are too much for kids of that age.

Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7516 on: October 17, 2019, 09:42:05 PM »
IMO, Exorcist and Halloween are too much for kids of that age.

Yeah...especially the Exorcist. Can’t imagine seeing it that young.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7517 on: October 17, 2019, 09:44:37 PM »
Yeah...especially the Exorcist. Can’t imagine seeing it that young.

The first time I saw The Exorcist, it was the heavily edited network television version and I was in high school. I still had nightmares.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7518 on: October 17, 2019, 09:56:43 PM »
I had just turned 13 when The Exorcist came out. My older brother and I went to see it, and several people left the theater during the movie. Couldn't take it. I talked about how cool it was, but I did have nightmares for several nights.

I do think kids now are generally less bothered by some of this stuff. They play gory, violent video games, watch incredibly gruesome shows like Stranger Things and The Walking Dead, etc.

If I had an 11-year-old who didn't watch any of the above and sometimes has nightmares, no way would I let him see The Exorcist. But if viewing gore, blood and "mature themes" already was normal to him, he might actually think The Exorcist was tame. Or funny.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7519 on: October 18, 2019, 07:05:52 AM »
They've seen Ghostbusters.

Honestly .. over the years, there's been zero movies that .. impacted the kids.  They don't get over-excited like watching an Avengers movie might do .. they don't get scared either.   Aliens, Terminator 2 .. no impact.

I'm not sure they could be scared of a movie, like .. they know it's just a movie.  Which is sad.

Don't let anyone tell you the Arby's gene skips a generation.

So yeah, I wanna peg the needle for scientific reasons.   

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7520 on: October 18, 2019, 08:00:40 AM »
Honestly .. over the years, there's been zero movies that .. impacted the kids.  They don't get over-excited like watching an Avengers movie might do .. they don't get scared either.   Aliens, Terminator 2 .. no impact.

I'm not sure they could be scared of a movie, like .. they know it's just a movie.  Which is sad.
You're going to have to go nuclear then and show them a replay of the Murray St. game.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7521 on: October 18, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »
I had just turned 13 when The Exorcist came out. My older brother and I went to see it, and several people left the theater during the movie. Couldn't take it. I talked about how cool it was, but I did have nightmares for several nights.

I do think kids now are generally less bothered by some of this stuff. They play gory, violent video games, watch incredibly gruesome shows like Stranger Things and The Walking Dead, etc.

If I had an 11-year-old who didn't watch any of the above and sometimes has nightmares, no way would I let him see The Exorcist. But if viewing gore, blood and "mature themes" already was normal to him, he might actually think The Exorcist was tame. Or funny.

My kids were in a home daycare where one of the other kids was a 3- or 4-year-old whose siblings were all teenagers who thought it was funny to play R-rated horror movies on the VCR and let their little brother watch with them.  The babysitter said he would draw pictures of a bloody person with an ax buried in his skull and big knives plunged all over his body.  When the sitter asked about the picture, the kid said, "That's my dad."
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7522 on: October 18, 2019, 08:30:52 AM »
The ultimate horror show: A highlight reel of Austin Croshere, Larry Hughes, Jean Felix, Quincy Pondexter, Brook Lopez and Reece Gaines.

If that doesn't give them nightmares, they should be banned from MU games for life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7523 on: October 18, 2019, 08:52:01 AM »
My kids were in a home daycare where one of the other kids was a 3- or 4-year-old whose siblings were all teenagers who thought it was funny to play R-rated horror movies on the VCR and let their little brother watch with them.  The babysitter said he would draw pictures of a bloody person with an ax buried in his skull and big knives plunged all over his body.  When the sitter asked about the picture, the kid said, "That's my dad."

Yikes!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7524 on: October 18, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »

Halloween?
Nightmare on Elm Street?
Poltergeist?
Exorcist?
Scream?
Child's Play (Chucky)?

Can I ask why?

In all honesty, what is with people and the sadistic pleasure they take in deliberately scaring their children around Halloween?

But to the question, the answer is Gremlins.  Although that's more of a Christmas movie.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback