[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1937203 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: NM
« Reply #6900 on: July 16, 2019, 09:08:17 AM »
I met Stacey Abrams (candidate for Georgia Governor in 2018) in the security line at ATL back in February.  I was waiting for my stuff to come through the machine, looked to my left, and she was standing right next to me.  I did a double take realizing I recognized her, she saw me do it and smiled at me, so i took the necessary step over and shook her hand and introduced myself.  She was very pleasant and engaging for the 30 seconds it took for her stuff to come out. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6901 on: July 16, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
When I have interacted with well known people, it has struck me how much they are just people.    Sometimes they are tired.   Sometimes their feet hurt.    Their emotions, needs, wants are exactly the same.    The athletes are blessed with a skill and drive.   The politicians are willing to put themselves out there and have half the people dislike them.    But they appreciate a dirty joke.   A diet Pepsi on a hot day.   A little space to decompress.    People who treat them like people and don't impose on them.    I am sure that the gentleman Dish refers to appreciated the small moment of levity, the smile, the normal interaction, and then the chance to chill.

I think camera phones and social media have changed that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6902 on: July 16, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »
My daughter kicked Todd Ricketts out of my seat.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6903 on: July 16, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »
I really don't get people who say they want to be famous. Never eating a single meal in peace, having millions of complete strangers judging you, being stared at or worse every time you go out in public does not appeal to me at all.

Glow and I have talked about this, and we both agree that the best amount of fame is being well known and respected by a narrow subset of people. Maybe you a national champion in a sport that people only watch during the Olympics. Or you are a best selling author who most people wouldn't recognize on sight. Or maybe you are known worldwide as a subject matter expert on something that only the occasional fanboy bothers you about.

But Kim Kardashian or LeBron James famous? No thank you.

I'm heer ta tell ya, Ma, its a reel bitch, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6904 on: July 16, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
Steve Novak's kid goes to our school, so I see him ~monthly.  I just nod and smile, but I pretend we're buddies and we go out for beers.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6905 on: July 16, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »
Just saw da dude shoutin' his white Benz southbound on I-43. Kant miss 'im wit da MU SN 20 plates, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6906 on: July 16, 2019, 09:57:24 AM »
I always appreciate celebrities who assume you don't know who they are.

In the eighties I was working at a client's company in Milwaukee and an investor walked in and shook my hand.

"Hi, Bart Starr".

Like, no sh!t you're Bart Starr!  But it was cool that he acted like a normal guy.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6907 on: July 16, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
Steve Novak's kid goes to our school, so I see him ~monthly.  I just nod and smile, but I pretend we're buddies and we go out for beers.

Does his kid deliver your paper?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6908 on: July 16, 2019, 12:11:02 PM »
Does his kid deliver your paper?

Unless he's a 40-something dude with an old Dodge, no.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6909 on: July 16, 2019, 12:43:39 PM »
Nothing is more Arbys than ordering a B&C, getting back to the office and find out that they gave me a regular roast beef.  At least the worker rang it up as a regular, so I didnt pay for non-existent cheddar sauce and Arby's sauce.

Life is truly suffering.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6910 on: July 16, 2019, 01:51:02 PM »
Nothing is more Arbys than ordering a B&C, getting back to the office and find out that they gave me a regular roast beef.  At least the worker rang it up as a regular, so I didnt pay for non-existent cheddar sauce and Arby's sauce.

Life is truly suffering.

Dat chit'll kill ya, Dude, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #6911 on: July 16, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »

Life is truly suffering.

Thoughts and Prayers.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6912 on: July 16, 2019, 02:14:40 PM »
Unless he's a 40-something dude with an old Dodge, no.

Steve delivers your paper?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6913 on: July 16, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
I think camera phones and social media have changed that.

Certainly not part of the solution.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6914 on: July 16, 2019, 02:42:45 PM »
In the eighties I was working at a client's company in Milwaukee and an investor walked in and shook my hand.

"Hi, Bart Starr".

Like, no sh!t you're Bart Starr!  But it was cool that he acted like a normal guy.

I met him at an event in 2004. I hardly ever approach celebrities, but he was talking to others in the crowd so I went for it. He was incredibly gracious, as you would expect.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #6915 on: July 16, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
I always appreciate celebrities who assume you don't know who they are.

"Hi, Bart Starr".

Our HOG chapter used host a dinner and lead annual charity ride for the Vince Lombardi Cancer Foundation and Bart and Cherry would see us off every year. Bart was fairly quiet/soft spoken but Cherry was a hoot and very outgoing.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6916 on: July 16, 2019, 04:30:45 PM »

Dat chit'll kill ya, Dude, hey?

Dis. Da missin’ cheddar sauce mighta saved Ziggy’s life.

/ducks

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6917 on: July 16, 2019, 05:09:23 PM »
Dis. Da missin’ cheddar sauce mighta saved Ziggy’s life.

/ducks

I felt empty inside without the delicious cheddar and the contrast of the Arby's sauce.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6918 on: July 16, 2019, 07:36:42 PM »
Steve delivers your paper?

He is the only one who can toss it onto Topper's balcony with range.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6919 on: July 16, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »
speaking of restaurants messing up your food orders-whenever i'm at a sit-down place and something's wrong with my order, i'm very careful to complain...too much.  think about it-the cooks are hot as balls, sweating into all the food to begin with, waitresses screaming orders at them, his sous chef is snortin coke in the walk-in cooler and the restaurant hostess is bouncin on the lap of your dish washer...   then they get your plate back with some fill in the blank complaint?  i'd rather save the beach, leave my food uneaten. leave a 5% tip and never return as opposed to catching the chefs syphilis err something...and all i said was hold the special sauce :-X
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6920 on: July 16, 2019, 08:02:33 PM »

Speaking of which...are there still places where teenage kids on bikes (or...gasp...on foot) still deliver local papers?

Here in Rochester, the local newspaper (and I use that term loosely for our local paper) is delivered by middle aged men driving around in beat up cars. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against underemployed middle-aged people getting opportunities - but I miss the days of seeing a kid walking papers around the neighborhood.

Or maybe it's just that I'm old....

Ha.  Delivering the Post-Bulletin was my first job.  Route started a block from St Francis.   
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6921 on: July 16, 2019, 09:02:08 PM »
Curious, how many of you routinely add their middle initial to their name? 

I guess I've always added it, MU H. Topper.   It's on my email, my amazon address, the whole thing.

Is that weird?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6922 on: July 16, 2019, 10:10:40 PM »
Only time I add my middle initial is when putting "Name on Credit Card" and at my dry cleaners. The first because that's how it appears on my credit card and I've always been paranoid that it would get declined if I didn't put it and the second because there's another person with my first and last name somewhere in town and I've gotten his clothes back before.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6923 on: July 16, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
Curious, how many of you routinely add their middle initial to their name? 

I guess I've always added it, MU H. Topper.   It's on my email, my amazon address, the whole thing.

Is that weird?

I use my middle initial all the time.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6924 on: July 17, 2019, 05:02:21 AM »
How many of you use your middle finger when driving?