[March 18, 2024, 11:12:52 PM]

A Basketball Renaissance 50 Years In The Making by DavidBoone2inchesTaller
[March 18, 2024, 10:25:35 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by JWags85
[March 18, 2024, 10:01:37 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[March 18, 2024, 09:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: NM  (Read 1875533 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: NM
« Reply #4500 on: September 23, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »
cringed when i saw this, but you were right on with the exception of the safer version-"no hand".   i can't imagine this is a very commonly used term/abbreviation outside of some "circles".  i guess anything goes in rap/hip-hop though, eyn'er?

It's extremely common in many circles, mostly ones where members are aged 35 or younger.

Homophobia isn't solely an issue in hip hop culture.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4501 on: September 23, 2018, 09:37:17 PM »
It's reported because on this site specifically, it is homophobic. It's origination, I believe, was a Joe Fulce tweet from years ago about Davante Gardner. Fulce tweeted "no homo" which was shortened in the Scoop community to NH and on this site is now synonymous with homophobia.

It's like teal. I checked the meaning of teal on both free dictionary and urban dictionary. Neither have any definitions indicating teal is synonymous with sarcasm, but every regular poster here knows what teal means. I do wonder how it would be handled if we had a Scoop specific abbreviation or text color that was commonly known by users to indicate white power, misogyny, or some other form of widely known targeted discrimination.

This is the first I’ve seen an explanation of NH in a manner that isn’t in reference to the state that borders Vermont.

That said, I’ll concede that having to clarify something as not homosexual in nature or by reference could easily be perceived as homophobic, but I’m failing to see the link between homophobia and white power.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4502 on: September 23, 2018, 11:04:10 PM »
This is the first I’ve seen an explanation of NH in a manner that isn’t in reference to the state that borders Vermont.

That said, I’ll concede that having to clarify something as not homosexual in nature or by reference could easily be perceived as homophobic, but I’m failing to see the link between homophobia and white power.

The link is simply that it is discrimination that is implied every time it is posted. If you don't like the white power analogy, how about Scoop having a similar code word that was a slur against blacks, or Hispanics, or whites, or women, or Jews, or Catholics, whatever other segment of society a poster decided to discriminate against?

Again, we all know teal is Scoop code for sarcasm. We all know NH is Scoop code for discrimination against the LGBTQ community. Would Scoop codes for racial slurs be okay? Or religious slurs? I'm genuinely curious who it's okay for Scoopers to discriminate against in code.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4503 on: September 23, 2018, 11:27:40 PM »
NH really isn't scoop code for anything. It's just normal code. Unless you are playing cards or talking about New Hampshire NH usually stands for no homo. It is usually used after a sentence that contains a double entendre. E.g. "I really pounded you guys last round (NH)."

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4504 on: September 24, 2018, 05:34:24 AM »
It's extremely common in many circles, mostly ones where members are aged 35 or younger.

Homophobia isn't solely an issue in hip hop culture.

a "phobia" usually refers to a fear of.  today's use of that suffix, i believe is inaccurate and/or a gentle way to describe one's actual attitude toward the "fill-in-the-blank" entendre, enna so? there may be some people who actually fear certain people, but in actuality, most often i think it really means "hate" or "intolerance"?  just clarifying
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4505 on: September 24, 2018, 07:07:11 AM »
  a "phobia" usually refers to a fear of.  today's use of that suffix, i believe is inaccurate and/or a gentle way to describe one's actual attitude toward the "fill-in-the-blank" entendre, enna so? there may be some people who actually fear certain people, but in actuality, most often i think it really means "hate" or "intolerance"?  just clarifying

I'd agree with that. The term dates back to the 1960s-70s and was never updated. As used in society today, it definitely is more a term of intolerance and discrimination than an actual phobia.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4506 on: September 24, 2018, 07:42:40 AM »
I'd agree with that. The term dates back to the 1960s-70s and was never updated. As used in society today, it definitely is more a term of intolerance and discrimination than an actual phobia.

Phobia

An extreme or irrational fear or aversion to something.

That's the definition I found. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4507 on: September 24, 2018, 07:56:29 AM »
Using "NH" in these situations is pretty much the same as calling something "gay."  It wasn't all that long ago that this was acceptable.  Now it just isn't - and that's a good thing.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #4508 on: September 24, 2018, 09:06:52 AM »
Aren't they linked though?  People are intolerant of other religions because they fear it brings their own faith into question, people are intolerant of other sexual orientations because they fear it brings their own sexuality into question, etc. etc. 

The other explanations i see are that a) people fear change or difference in general (probably true) or b) some people are just dicks (i don't think this is true by nature.  may be by nurture but that circles back to 'fear')

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4509 on: September 24, 2018, 09:16:23 AM »
People are intolerant of other religions because they fear it brings their own faith into question

I think people are intolerant of other religions mostly because of the "absolute truth" aspect of many religious beliefs.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4510 on: September 24, 2018, 09:38:55 AM »
Aren't they linked though?  People are intolerant of other religions because they fear it brings their own faith into question, people are intolerant of other sexual orientations because they fear it brings their own sexuality into question, etc. etc. 

The other explanations i see are that a) people fear change or difference in general (probably true) or b) some people are just dicks (i don't think this is true by nature.  may be by nurture but that circles back to 'fear')

Sure, but personally I'm not interested in the semantic debate.

The use of this term is meant to demean. It's discriminatory, and as Sultan points out, widely not acceptable in today's society.

There's no reason this should be accepted on Scoop. From the rules at the top of this page:

• Respect other posters. Insults and flames will not be tolerated.
  • Use of profanity, racist or sexist comments prohibited.
My closest friend is a Marquette grad and member of the LGBTQ community. I'm confident there are other Marquette grads that are LGBTQ and there's a good chance some are members on this site. And yet when it comes to this slur, the "respect" and "sexist comments prohibited" goes out the window.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4511 on: September 24, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »
(nh) is a Joe Fulce reference from years back on twitter.  1) it's not used much, except for BeeJay.  2)  I did use it recently, but it was clearly in a sarcastic manner and not intended to be insulting. 

Traditional is a code word for "white basketball player."  Used by many more people than Cheeks, mostly as an insult towards him, but not always.

Scoop had the "best name" awards going up until a year or 2 ago, mostly making fun of black names.

Brewcity isn't the only person on here with friends of different sexual orientation, so let's save that high horse for another day, eh kin?

Bottom line, eat at Arbys.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4512 on: September 24, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
F*ckin' bringin' major common cents. Didant no he had it in 'im (nh), woo new, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4513 on: September 24, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »
Brewcity isn't the only person on here with friends of different sexual orientation, so let's save that high horse for another day, eh kin?

No. It's been discriminatory since Fulce used it and every time since. I'm not saying that to flaunt my friendships but rather to show this is discrimination against the Marquette community this website represents and likely against members of the Scoop community specifically, which the Rules are meant to apply to.

Also not a fan of traditional in that sense and the aforementioned "best names" thread is now gone. It should be the same with NH.

Let's be plain about it. If a user added (N) every time they mentioned a black player, poster, or anything else associated with the black community, how long would that be accepted? Or if someone decided to add a (B) with every mention of a female or something feminine? It's no different, and yet it persists.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4514 on: September 24, 2018, 11:03:33 AM »
(nh) is a Joe Fulce reference from years back on twitter.  1) it's not used much, except for BeeJay.  2)  I did use it recently, but it was clearly in a sarcastic manner and not intended to be insulting. 

Traditional is a code word for "white basketball player."  Used by many more people than Cheeks, mostly as an insult towards him, but not always.

Scoop had the "best name" awards going up until a year or 2 ago, mostly making fun of black names.

So in other words, we aren't perfect.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4515 on: September 24, 2018, 11:08:15 AM »
Gotta blame Ma. She started da 'hole name thread, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4516 on: September 24, 2018, 11:50:27 AM »
Took my middle daughter on a whirlwind college visit road trip this weekend.  In 36 hours door-to-door we hit Miami (Ohio), Indiana, Butler and Purdue.

It was an awesome trip and I had a lot of fun with a really great kid.  We only had a formal visit at Miami.  The rest, we just did self-guided tours and explored on our own to get a feel for the campuses.  Butler was really just a super quick stop because we happened to stay in Indy for the night, and I figured we should take a quick look since we were in town.

The conclusion:  both my daughter and I would like to attend Purdue.  I wonder if they'd take me.  I expect her to change her mind (and add numerous other schools) before it's all said and done.  But Purdue was really nice.  She also liked Miami and Indiana, but Purdue was the clear favorite.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4517 on: September 24, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »
I'll be on college visits with the daughter this upcoming weekend.  They are not as spread out as yours!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4518 on: September 24, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »
We're finding it a fun process and so, so very different than how I (and all of my peers) selected a school.

We are finding the formal tours to be much, much more useful than the informal tours for getting a real feeling about the schools, to the point that I don't think we'll bother with any others where we don't have an official tour.  There was one, for instance, where if all you did was walk around you couldn't help but be incredibly impressed, but the official tour allowed us to cross it off the list.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:14:18 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4519 on: September 24, 2018, 12:59:24 PM »
The link is simply that it is discrimination that is implied every time it is posted. If you don't like the white power analogy, how about Scoop having a similar code word that was a slur against blacks, or Hispanics, or whites, or women, or Jews, or Catholics, whatever other segment of society a poster decided to discriminate against?

Again, we all know teal is Scoop code for sarcasm. We all know NH is Scoop code for discrimination against the LGBTQ community. Would Scoop codes for racial slurs be okay? Or religious slurs? I'm genuinely curious who it's okay for Scoopers to discriminate against in code.

Gotcha.  It's an analogy, not a link.

That said, context is important, but how is it discriminatory if the intent is to simply clarify a double entendre?

Example: if Ners was at a gay bar having a conversation about basketball and said "if you can find me couple of balls, I'll show you how I can dunk with two hands" and wanted to clarify that he was speaking literally, i.e. wasn't making a move on the person with whom he was conversing (con-VER-sing, not CON-verse-ing), how would it be appropriate to make such a clarification without being construed as "homophobic" (however one defines that word -- I use it as language or actions derogatory/discriminating to homosexuals)?   I forget the term for the heterosexual male game of deliberately leading on homosexual males for entertainment (read: humiliating) purposes, even though that may not be the intent, even a perception of that would absolutely be more homophobic than clarifying intent.

Additionally, how is "nh" fundamentally different than "Phrasing" which is a recurring line on an Emmy Award-winning television shows - starring a certain aforementioned Arby's star - many times involving the homosexual and pansexual characters on the show?  Is it ok to use it for entertainment purposes??  If not, why not on Scoop?  After all, Scoop is 100% entertainment, so if anyone is taking the literature here figuratively, they literally need to figure some things out.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4520 on: September 24, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »
Weight Watchers is changing its name to WW.

Well, that just rolls off the tongue....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4521 on: September 24, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »

That said, context is important, but how is it discriminatory if the intent is to simply clarify a double entendre?

Example: if Ners was at a gay bar having a conversation about basketball and said "if you can find me couple of balls, I'll show you how I can dunk with two hands" and wanted to clarify that he was speaking literally, i.e. wasn't making a move on the person with whom he was conversing (con-VER-sing, not CON-verse-ing), how would it be appropriate to make such a clarification without being construed as "homophobic" (however one defines that word -- I use it as language or actions derogatory/discriminating to homosexuals)?   I forget the term for the heterosexual male game of deliberately leading on homosexual males for entertainment (read: humiliating) purposes, even though that may not be the intent, even a perception of that would absolutely be more homophobic than clarifying intent.

Additionally, how is "nh" fundamentally different than "Phrasing" which is a recurring line on an Emmy Award-winning television shows - starring a certain aforementioned Arby's star - many times involving the homosexual and pansexual characters on the show?  Is it ok to use it for entertainment purposes??  If not, why not on Scoop?  After all, Scoop is 100% entertainment, so if anyone is taking the literature here figuratively, they literally need to figure some things out.

Well I think it comes down to whether you consider "homo" a derogatory slang term in itself. If you do then nh is derogatory. On the other hand saying phrasing can be used for straight and gay double entantres and takes away the portion that would be considered derogatory slang.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4522 on: September 24, 2018, 01:15:47 PM »

No one is clarifying anything. No one is stupid enough to think there's any thought of misunderstanding. Many of the instances look far more like a deliberate attempt to insert a vague double entendre just to post (NH).

rocky started a Superbar thread on this, so I'll probably continue discourse there. But when you look at the actual uses, they are far more like this but of discriminatory BS from 4ever where the only reason he uses the phrase is to use the phrase and stir the pot. Basically, saying "look at me be a jackass for the sake of it". I don't see that as necessary or wanted by anyone but 2 or 3 posters that are trying to normalize discriminatory behavior and act like they are 65 going on 13.

F*ckin' bringin' major common cents. Didant no he had it in 'im (nh), woo new, hey?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4523 on: September 24, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
I liked it better when nh just stood for New Hampshire.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4524 on: September 24, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »

Benny,

While I find your questions to be reasonable and discussion-worthy in an academic sense, I don't think they apply to how "nh" is being used here.  If anyone thinks the way Jay Bee uses the "nh" notation is anything other than intentionally derogatory, well, I don't know what to tell you.  This isn't really a case of not being sure what someone's intentions are.

EDIT TO ADD: That said, I am in agreement with the mods not to censor stuff like this.  Much better IMO to let people show their red asses to the world, make racist comments like blaming hip-hop, etc.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 02:08:56 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.