[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Grub on Campus  (Read 6118 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Grub on Campus
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 07:06:08 AM »
If I were a student now, I'd be Ubering to 3rd, Water and Third Ward.

Those places seemed so distant 10 years ago. I ate the majority of my outside food at Hegartys.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
A pizza place would be a nice addition too.  Adding Sobleman's right on campus is really nice for the current students (even though I personally think their quality has dropped as their popularity blew up...still a good burger).  My only real pet peeve about MU when I was there was the lack of quality food options.  I've never been a Jimmy John's or Cousin's fan, Subway is meh at best, Broken Yolk was okay but the hype was insanely overblown, Qdoba is Qdoba and I overate there and ruined my taste for it, Papa John's I rarely had, MU Gyros and Dog Hause only late night.  Even McDonald's you could only go to when it was light out.  Not sure there were any other options.  Domino's on the very east side of campus.

I guess maybe my personal obsession with custard/ice cream/even frozen yogurt may be obstructing my view.  It drove me crazy that MU had no true ice cream options beyond McDonalds/cafeteria soft serve when I was there.  I would've gone to an ice cream store constantly had there been one around (and do now).  It baffles me that others could not feel the same, because there are very few things that I have found that I can crave constantly no matter how often I have it like I do ice cream.

Sobelman's did replace a pizza place that was good, although also an underage bar which is probably why its now a Sobelman's.  It was either that or tax evasion, good old Angelo

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »
Sobelman's did replace a pizza place that was good, although also an underage bar which is probably why its now a Sobelman's.  It was either that or tax evasion, good old Angelo

Are you saying it's no longer Angelo's because they were letting in underage students? They sold the property to the University because he was dying.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
Have you been to campus lately?  In the past couple of a decent Asian place, a Burger King, Pita Brothers, and another Mediterranean place have all opened.

And you forgot Real Chili  ;D

I thought the same, but that is DEFINITELY a younger man's food. I went for Real Chili last year on a day when we didn't have a cook at our firehouse. It tasted great, but probably about 11:00, both of us regretted it. Some of the worst indigestion, and...erm...bathroom breaks I've had in ages. My partner was no better off. Felt like I swallowed a nuke.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 04:36:23 PM »
I thought the same, but that is DEFINITELY a younger man's food. I went for Real Chili last year on a day when we didn't have a cook at our firehouse. It tasted great, but probably about 11:00, both of us regretted it. Some of the worst indigestion, and...erm...bathroom breaks I've had in ages. My partner was no better off. Felt like I swallowed a nuke.

I dunno...me, Glow, and realchili83 still eat it, and I know we are all older than you...
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 04:39:16 PM »
A life without real chili? Is that really living?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 04:55:27 PM »
I dunno...me, Glow, and realchili83 still eat it, and I know we are all older than you...

My heart bleeds for your intestines.

Wait...on second thought, I don't think that's my heart doing the bleeding.  :o
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »
Kinda serious question - does anyone know how the Real Chilis make a go of it? I'm always kind of terrified that my next bowl will be my last - there's never more than a person or two there. I assume they have really low overhead, which has to help, but their margins can't be huge and that rent ain't free. I hear stories of the place being packed wall-to-wall on weekend nights back in the day, but the campus version didn't do remotely close to the same business Gyros did as drunk food when I was there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »
Kinda serious question - does anyone know how the Real Chilis make a go of it? I'm always kind of terrified that my next bowl will be my last - there's never more than a person or two there. I assume they have really low overhead, which has to help, but their margins can't be huge and that rent ain't free. I hear stories of the place being packed wall-to-wall on weekend nights back in the day, but the campus version didn't do remotely close to the same business Gyros did as drunk food when I was there.

I was class of 11. It was usually packed after bars close. Game weekends were wall to wall with alumni. Other than that,  pretty dead
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »
What the efff is wrong with you people.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2017, 05:33:37 PM »

It's the 4th of July. Some fireworks out your arse is keeping with the holiday spirit.

feedback