[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Milwaukee (City & MSA) has largest decline in millennials: Where are they going?  (Read 1614 times)

Eldon

• All American
Millennials are moving out of Milwaukee, study says. Here's where they're going.

According to a new article on Time magazine's website, most urban centers saw an increase in millennials from 2010 to 2015 and 11 cities saw a decline. The Urban Land Institute said Milwaukee's urban millennial population saw a negative change of 1.8 percent. Chicago's millennials declined by 1 percent.

The Milwaukee statistics don't surprise Matt Cordio, co-founder and CEO of Startup Milwaukee.

"A bunch of my friends were passing around this article through email," Cordio said. "We have wonderful academic institutions attracting students, and it's unfortunate we can't keep them here after they graduate."

http://www.wisn.com/article/millennials-moving-out-of-milwaukee-study-says/9987116

Here's the original study (with a nice map)

http://time.com/4797956/cities-millennials-moving/

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Looks like they are leaving the Midwest for the northeast.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American

I feel like if I left the Midwest for college I would have gone somewhere warm. Certainly not the Northeast. Different strokes I guess.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
Sounds like good opportunities for millennial to hang around Milwaukee and grab some jobs to fill the void left by others.

Eldon

• All American

As many of them are saddled with debt, they want to live in tight urban clusters, where they can take advantage of economies of scale (e.g., public transit, walkable neighborhoods).

I live in Philly and see this gentrification first hand.  There is a neighborhood called Point Breeze.  Five years ago, it was a ghetto.  Nowadays?  Well, it's still the ghetto, but each time I go there I see more and more hipsters, yuppies, and young professionals.  There's even an upscale, craft-beer bar now.  Expensive houses are taking the places of empty lots.  It's on the come up, that's for damn sure.

If you have some spare cash and are willing to take a gamble--though it's a slight gamble, I assure you--buy real estate in Philly and Baltimore.  These two cities specifically because they are East Coast (read: dense), but without the super high cost of living like DC, NYC, or Boston.

warriorchick

• All American
Sounds like good opportunities for millennial to hang around Milwaukee and grab some jobs to fill the void left by others.

Did you even read the article? They are leaving because of the lack of jobs.

Glow jr. would have loved to stay in Milwaukee after he graduated, but he could not find work there.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback