[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: California trip recommendations  (Read 5045 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: California trip recommendations
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
Lived in Cal. For 30 years. SAN Luis Obispo is a great area to visit. Thursday night the town is a farmer's market with bands on every block. Cute town to walk. If you cut across 154 to Santa Barbara, go to Panini in Los Olivias for a sandwich. Venice Beach and Santa Monica pier are a good pick.
Lived in Del Mar and La Jolla both great places to visit. DEL Mar can get busy but try to park @22nd street and go to the beach.
Don't like old townie San Diego its too touristy. Make a reservation at 3rd Corner in Ocean Beach. Great chef,reasonable prices and they only charge $5 to uncork a wine from their wine store which has great bargains. LaJolla is a great place to walk around and beach is just below downtown.
Park at south end of Prospect and you are right at the beach. Have fun

I think you're supposed to repeat something 5 times to memorize it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 01:07:19 AM »
I'll share my thoughts as I go to help out anyone planning on going to California anytime in the future.

From the airport the BART is the way to go. $9 to the city and it's about 35 mins.

Had a great weekend in SF. AT&T ballpark is awesome. No bad seats in the place. We sat in the 3rd deck in right field and the seats were great, unreal views of the bay. Alcatraz is a great take too; definitely worth it.

Hit zeitgeist, a cool bar in the mission with a big outdoor area. Hipster kind of vibe, they only serve craft beer. If you like culture then the mission district is great, tons of food options. The burritos at La Taqueria live up to the hype but be prepared to wait in line, especially on the weekend. I also got a pupusa from the Salvadoran shop next door and it was the best Papusa I've had in the states. Tasted just like the ones I had in El Salvador. If you've never heard of a papusa it's like a thick grilled tortilla stuffed with cheese and something else. I like mine with cheese and pork.

Nob hill is breathtaking, it's so high and steep you almost have to see it to believe it. Chinatown is awesome and authentic, also really big.

We rented bikes and rode over the Golden Gate Bridge. We did the long route and hit Sausalito, mill park, and then tiburon. It's a pretty tough and hilly ride even if you're in pretty good shape. Sausalito and tiburon offer amazing views of the bay and city. Mill park is a small park but has some beautiful and huge redwood trees. We grabbed drinks and some food at sams in tiburon which has a huge deck on the water with views of SF. We took the ferry back to the city.

We Hit ghiradelli's for desert; good Sundays but pricy, crowded and touristy. Fishermans warf is ok but we didn't spend much time there, too many tourists. North beach is a nice neighborhood and the walk up and down from the coit tower is pretty cool.

All and all it's a pretty stunning city. The geography and views are unique and the best part. Everywhere we went felt extremely safe. The public transportation isn't the best so we mostly ubered or walked around. The cable cars are more for fun than function it seems. They only cut through a little bit of the city. The weather is odd. Usually cool and cloudy in the morning and the sun tends to come out in the afternoon. It has been kind of cold and constantly windy in SF and way nicer and sunnier outside of the city. If you've never been to SF it's a must see American city.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 01:43:09 PM »
Santa Barbara is beautiful go to Four Seasons

Santa Monica Go to Ivy at the Ocean

Go to Laguna Beach great to walk up and down the various shops.  Eat at Las Brisas for Mexican and incredible views.

When your in San Diego go to Del Mar and there is a great restaurant there called Pacifica.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »

When your in San Diego go to Del Mar and there is a great restaurant there called Pacifica.

Pacifica is always on the agenda when I visit San Diego.