[Today at 11:24:41 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Who's second in career eFG% in Big East history?  (Read 6533 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Who's second in career eFG% in Big East history?
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:51:53 AM »
Luke Fischer, at 62.1%.

Ahead of players such as Roy Hibbert, Derrick Coleman and Alonzo Mourning.

Not saying Luke was anywhere near as dominant. But when he took a shot, he was about as efficient as it gets.

BTW, the only other Marquette players currently in the top 100 are DJO (40th at 53.2%) and Lazar Hayward (75th at 50.9%). Markus and Sam may have something to say about that before they're done.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Re: Who's second in career eFG% in Big East history?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 02:32:04 AM »
Great stuff. If Markus had never taken a 2-point shot his eFG% for the season would have finished at 81%
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 07:06:53 AM »
Luke Fischer, at 62.1%.

Not saying Luke was anywhere near as dominant. But when he took a shot, he was about as efficient as it gets.

BTW, the only other Marquette players currently in the top 100 are DJO (40th at 53.2%) and Lazar Hayward (75th at 50.9%). Markus and Sam may have something to say about that before they're done.

I'd call it "effective" or "better shooter" vs efficient, but yes, Luke was great

The ranks look odd, though. What players are you excluding? (E.g. Clearly you're excluding guys who haven't played X minutes or taken X shots or something similar)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:06:27 AM »
Luke Fischer, at 62.1%.

Not to slam Fischy, but 99% of his shots were no-footers, and he still missed way more than he should have.  I am assuming that is a statistic that's not measured, but I would want to know what the average distance from the goal was for him vs. everyone else in the top ten.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:17:17 AM »
Not to slam Fischy, but 99% of his shots were no-footers, and he still missed way more than he should have.  I am assuming that is a statistic that's not measured, but I would want to know what the average distance from the goal was for him vs. everyone else in the top ten.

False. Per hoop-math, 55% of his attempts were at the rim. He made an insane 82.8% of them (team made 67%). 2pt jumpers (not a layup or dunk) he hit a strong 42.3% on (team was 37.3%).

His shooting was great, and he put up a healthy amount of attempts

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:18:25 AM »

They are almost all Centers who almost exclusively shot no footers.

Post shots are a lot more difficult than fans give credit for. Making 62.1% of them is an amazing accomplishment. Fischer was an elite offensive player. Unfortunately he was only an average rebounder (for his size) and a poor defender.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
False. Per hoop-math, 55% of his attempts were at the rim. He made an insane 82.8% of them (team made 67%). 2pt jumpers (not a layup or dunk) he hit a strong 42.3% on (team was 37.3%).

His shooting was great, and he put up a healthy amount of attempts

If this was true, I stand corrected, but I am certain that he missed at least 2-3 shots per game because his layup didn't fall when he could have dunked it.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »
If this was true, I stand corrected, but I am certain that he missed at least 2-3 shots per game because his layup didn't fall when he could have dunked it.

Luke played 89 games for Marquette and missed a total of 252 shots (2.8 per game). If what you are certain of were true, then virtually every shot he ever missed in his entire career was a layup that didn't fall when he could have dunked it.

As I don't have the exact numbers Jay Bee is using in front of me, I can extrapolate that approximately 300 of his 666 career attempts for Marquette were 2-point jumpers, and he missed 127 of those. That means he only missed 125 shots in his career that were at the rim, an average of at most 1.4 per game.

It seems unlikely that every one of those was a missed layup that he could have dunked, maybe half of them were layups that could have been dunks, so figure about 0.7 times per game. Understandably frustrating, but probably not nearly as glaring a deficit as it felt at times.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »
The ranks look odd, though. What players are you excluding? (E.g. Clearly you're excluding guys who haven't played X minutes or taken X shots or something similar)

It's from Sports Reference. I know you're not a fan, Jay Bee — you've commented a number of times about issues with statistical formulas, etc. But even I can calculate eFG%. That's about as simple a stat as there is. Hard to screw that one up.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-east/leaders/efg-pct-player-career.html

Minimum 400 total field goals made, 4 field goals made per game played.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »
Post shots are a lot more difficult than fans give credit for. Making 62.1% of them is an amazing accomplishment.

Agreed. A lot of fans focus on the distance alone. Yes, 2-footers and 5-footers are easy shots — without a defender to contend with. They're anything but gimmes when there's another big man (say 6-10, 250 pounds, 7+ foot wingspan) leaning on you with as much of his weight as possible and trying to block it from less than a foot away.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »
Luke played 89 games for Marquette and missed a total of 252 shots (2.8 per game). If what you are certain of were true, then virtually every shot he ever missed in his entire career was a layup that didn't fall when he could have dunked it.

As I don't have the exact numbers Jay Bee is using in front of me, I can extrapolate that approximately 300 of his 666 career attempts for Marquette were 2-point jumpers, and he missed 127 of those. That means he only missed 125 shots in his career that were at the rim, an average of at most 1.4 per game.

It seems unlikely that every one of those was a missed layup that he could have dunked, maybe half of them were layups that could have been dunks, so figure about 0.7 times per game. Understandably frustrating, but probably not nearly as glaring a deficit as it felt at times.

What about last season?   I think that's one area where he regressed from when he first started playing for us. Last year I thought he looked hesitant to power it up, perhaps because of his shoulder.

It could just be perception, just like you notice miss free throw shots more.
Have some patience, FFS.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
What about last season?   I think that's one area where he regressed from when he first started playing for us. Last year I thought he looked hesitant to power it up, perhaps because of his shoulder.

It could just be perception, just like you notice miss free throw shots more.

While his minutes and scoring per game were down slightly last season, Luke posted career highs for offensive rating (124.5, good for 56th best in the country according to KenPom), usage (20.6%), eFG% (64.7%), offensive rebounding percentage (13.3%, or 48th best nationally), defensive rebounding percentage (16.3%), assist rate (9.5%), turnover rate (13.6%, more accurately a career low) and steal percentage (1.4%).

Luke certainly had his limitations. But he won't be easily replaced.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:25:33 PM by Marcus92 »

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »
interesting that their history of the BigEast ignores the early years prior to 1986.  I think Ewing only had one season shooting less than 63% on a few more shot attempts.
I guess post-1985 is referring to the 3-pt era.

also what kind of efg% would Chris Mullin put up if the 3 was in play back in the day?    He ended his St John's career as a 55% shooter from the field.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 02:27:26 PM by oldwarrior81 »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 02:31:57 PM »
interesting that their history of the BigEast ignores the early years prior to 1986. I guess they are only referring to the 3-pt era. I think Ewing only had one season shooting less than 63%.

Patrick Ewing and others are notable omissions. I'm not quite sure why; without the 3-point shot, effective field goal percentage is the exact same as field goal percentage.

BTW, Ewing shot 62.0% for his college career at Georgetown. Ranking him just behind the aforementioned Luke Fischer.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Mutombo was 64.4% career from '89-91, which falls within the date range.

I guess the key part of that list is:
Statistical coverage for seasons prior to 1992-93 is mostly complete, however some statistics may be incomplete.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »
Mutombo was 64.4% career from '89-91, which falls within the date range.

I guess the key part of that list is:
Statistical coverage for seasons prior to 1992-93 is mostly complete, however some statistics may be incomplete.

Aka "sports-reference is badly flawed and if you get your data from there, bad move."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 04:46:58 PM »
While his minutes and scoring per game were down slightly last season, Luke posted career highs for offensive rating (124.5, good for 56th best in the country according to KenPom), usage (20.6%), eFG% (64.7%), offensive rebounding percentage (13.3%, or 48th best nationally), defensive rebounding percentage (16.3%), assist rate (9.5%), turnover rate (13.6%, more accurately a career low) and steal percentage (1.4%).

Luke certainly had his limitations. But he won't be easily replaced.

Or, as a few Luke-hatin' Scoopers might say, "He'll be easily replaced by a box of rocks."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 06:08:47 AM »
Or, as a few Luke-hatin' Scoopers might say, "He'll be easily replaced by a box of rocks."

Plz put me into that category
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 06:13:55 AM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 07:20:35 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 07:26:19 AM »
Minimum 400 total field goals made, 4 field goals made per game played.

In other words, a lot of the best players who leave early after a year or two are excluded. So when you say "career eFG% in Big East history", you need to understand what it's really saying..

Justin Patton was excellent - 69.2% - but he gets ignored as a Big East player in your list.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
Arguably, the most horrid poster on Scoop.
Is it arguable at this point?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 01:05:22 PM »
I think your confusing Luke with STjr and his missed bunnies  8-)
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 12:06:22 PM »
In other words, a lot of the best players who leave early after a year or two are excluded. So when you say "career eFG% in Big East history", you need to understand what it's really saying..

Justin Patton was excellent - 69.2% - but he gets ignored as a Big East player in your list.

Appreciate the clarification — but that's true of every career statistical list. Players like Tyler Hansbrough and J.J. Redick are among the Top 25 career scorers in NCAA college basketball history. Kevin Durant, meanwhile, is absent, because he only stayed for one year.

Another example: MU's all-time scoring list. Was Jerel McNeal a better scorer than George Thompson? Jerel scored more points during his career, but played one more year and 43 more games than Thompson did. And while Dwyane Wade doesn't even crack the Top 25, he's easily the greatest scorer I've seen at Marquette in almost 30 years.

It's not a perfect list. No list is. (Personally, I'm baffled as to why a site focused on college basketball statistics would be missing player data from within the past 30 years.) But I still think it's interesting and wanted to share it here.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 02:08:17 PM »
Appreciate the clarification — but that's true of every career statistical list. Players like Tyler Hansbrough and J.J. Redick are among the Top 25 career scorers in NCAA college basketball history. Kevin Durant, meanwhile, is absent, because he only stayed for one year.

No, different issues. Durant isn't on the list because he didn't score the points. Patton isn't even though he did shoot the eFG%. That's why it's important to note the minimums, exclusions, etc.

It's not a perfect list. No list is. (Personally, I'm baffled as to why a site focused on college basketball statistics would be missing player data from within the past 30 years.) But I still think it's interesting and wanted to share it here.

Don't be baffled. I've warned about using that site before.

feedback