[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette Coach Impact Ranking  (Read 3147 times)

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
Marquette Coach Impact Ranking
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:29:18 PM »
What a pleasure to read the many stories on Kevin O'Neill.
Considering the time of the year and the volatility of the topic, I thought I would rank the MU Bball coaches in regards to impact to the program - sorry, I'm not as familiar with coaches in the pre Al era:

1). Al: first name only required
2). Tom Crean: has the other Final Four representation
3). Kevin O'Neill: saved the program and started with nothing.
4). Buzz: was fun while it lasted but he purposely tanked the last year and left us with nothing
5). Wojo: I was wrong here. Great recruiter. Learning to coach. Great representative of University.
6). Rick Maj: better career after MU
7). Hank Raymond's: nice guys finish last

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Marquette Coach Impact Ranking
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:36:42 PM »
#BanHammer
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »
Mike Deane?

Bob Dukiet?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 09:33:34 PM »
This topic has been discussed to no end. Usually everyone agrees that dukiet was better than Al
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 06:54:57 AM »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:27:27 AM »
I think you need to edit this to say positive impact...otherwise Dukiet may be the most influential.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 07:44:02 AM »
Move Raymonds to third. Only Al had a better winning percentage. Sure he started out with a stacked team, but the only year he did not win 20 games was the year Marquardt got seriously hurt in a traffic accident. He went 18-9 that year. All the other years he made the NCAA tournament. He got hurt by losing in the first round with the defending national championship team. However, that would not of happened if the refs had not thrown out Whitehead. No one gives him credit for going 24-4 without Bo Ellis vs. the team going 25-7 the year before with Bo Ellis. The NCAA tournament god's made Al's last year a fairly tale story and the NCAA tournament god's made Raymond's first year a nightmere. Going into the NCAA  tournament Al with Ellis was 20-7 and Raymonds without Ellis was 24-3. Raymond's perception was also hurt, because he did not have Al's personality. The same thing applies to Wojo, who does not have Buzz's personality.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 08:00:58 AM »
Move Raymonds to third. Only Al had a better winning percentage. Sure he started out with a stacked team, but the only year he did not win 20 games was the year Marquardt got seriously hurt in a traffic accident. He went 18-9 that year. All the other years he made the NCAA tournament. He got hurt by losing in the first round with the defending national championship team. However, that would not of happened if the refs had not thrown out Whitehead. No one gives him credit for going 24-4 without Bo Ellis vs. the team going 25-7 the year before with Bo Ellis. The NCAA tournament god's made Al's last year a fairly tale story and the NCAA tournament god's made Raymond's first year a nightmere. Going into the NCAA  tournament Al with Ellis was 20-7 and Raymonds without Ellis was 24-3. Raymond's perception was also hurt, because he did not have Al's personality. The same thing applies to Wojo, who does not have Buzz's personality.

I think Al, O'Neill and then Wojo were/are our best recruiting coaches. Some here may disagree.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »
Agreed. Al's right hand man during the glory uears. Also a great rep for MU. And a very good coach. How does anybody follow Al. But Raymond did it as well as one can.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 11:07:38 AM »
Agreed. Al's right hand man during the glory uears. Also a great rep for MU. And a very good coach. How does anybody follow Al. But Raymond did it as well as one can.
I think Al would say there would have been no glory years without Hank at his side. Someone had to do the Xs and Os and sooth the feelings of those Al chomped.
If class counted for more, Hank would be 2 not Crean.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 04:02:44 PM »
This topic has been discussed to no end. Usually everyone agrees that dukiet was better than Al

Hell, the man's last name even rhymed with Marquette!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 09:28:58 PM »
   hank was the only guy that could carry al's "bike" with dignity.  how many other coaches or players tried and failed to follow a super star.  the only thing hank was missing was the "showtime pizazz" and of course all the, only al quotes, which are of course, legendary.  and bill raftery wanted to trademark a few of his own??  don't make me laugh
don't...don't don't don't don't