[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: promotions  (Read 4362 times)

jsglow

• All American
promotions
« on: May 30, 2017, 12:54:31 PM »
Just reported that Johnson and Nelson promoted to Associate Head Coach.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: promotions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »
These guys are doing a great job for us.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
These guys are doing a great job for us.

Presutti, Stan, and Brett promoted this month.  Wojo extended next month, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 04:41:10 PM »
Stan's the recruiter, Nelson's the shooting coach? If so, both putting in great work

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »
Stan's the recruiter, Nelson's the shooting coach? If so, both putting in great work

Nelson heavily involved in recruiting as well
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
Nelson heavily involved in recruiting as well

Cool good to know

Do I have it directionally right with the strong suits/focuses though? Obviously all do a bit of everything. Just an assumption I've always had, wondering if it's even close to right

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 06:13:53 PM »
Cool good to know

Do I have it directionally right with the strong suits/focuses though? Obviously all do a bit of everything. Just an assumption I've always had, wondering if it's even close to right

I can say I've seen all on the road during evaluation periods. Stan and Brett more than Chris & Wojo, but certainly see them all out. (And before them, Phelps, Buzz, Autry, etc, etc... eval periods are condensed.. need to be multiple places at the same time).. I think communication wise, we've seen a lot of Stan & Nelson...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 06:25:08 PM »
Dude, ya weren't playin' tennis in da French Open by chance, were ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »

Honest question:  what does this title even mean at this point?  It's becoming more and more common.  For years, it seemed to designate a head coach in waiting, but wasn't used all that much.  Then, it seemed to be used to identify a long-tenured and highly regarded assistant.  Then, it seemed to be used to designate the most senior assistant coach.  At least that's my impression of the title.  Now, Marquette has two on staff.

Is there any specific meaning to the title?  Does it vary from program to program?  Are there other programs with two Associate Head Coaches?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
Honest question:  what does this title even mean at this point?  It's becoming more and more common.  For years, it seemed to designate a head coach in waiting, but wasn't used all that much.  Then, it seemed to be used to identify a long-tenured and highly regarded assistant.  Then, it seemed to be used to designate the most senior assistant coach.  At least that's my impression of the title.  Now, Marquette has two on staff.

Is there any specific meaning to the title?  Does it vary from program to program?  Are there other programs with two Associate Head Coaches?

It might help that assistant look better in the eyes of an AD as he applies for a job.  And ore importantly to Wojo...it shows recruits that when Stan and Brett show up at their games that a top dog from MU is there.  Almost like they're cloning Wojo. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
It might help that assistant look better in the eyes of an AD as he applies for a job.  And ore importantly to Wojo...it shows recruits that when Stan and Brett show up at their games that a top dog from MU is there.  Almost like they're cloning Wojo.

Yeah, that makes some sense...for now.  It just seems to me that a few years ago when the AHC title was a little less common, it had a little more cachet (for both recruits and for hiring ADs).  How many of the coaches on staff are actually allowed to go out on the road and recruit kids?  I know there are limitations, but I don't remember what they are.  With the proliferation of the AHC title, pretty soon all the recruiters at Lake Wobegon University will be top dog.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 08:05:50 PM »
Yeah, that makes some sense...for now.  It just seems to me that a few years ago when the AHC title was a little less common, it had a little more cachet (for both recruits and for hiring ADs).  How many of the coaches on staff are actually allowed to go out on the road and recruit kids?  I know there are limitations, but I don't remember what they are.  With the proliferation of the AHC title, pretty soon all the recruiters at Lake Wobegon University will be top dog.

Yeah, it's proliferating and the original limited intent (this guy will be HC when I retire) has morphed.  I suspect it might have changed because once one or two places named AHCs, a couple of others thought that those guys might have a recruiting advantage so they named AHCs, and so on.

Which probably means that the perception may have gone from "you have a recruiting advantage if you name an AHC" to "you have a recruiting disadvantage if you don't."

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
An interesting article on what college basketball assistant coaches are paid at Michigan St. and other national powers:

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/08/michigan_state_basketball_assi.html

At Marquette, I suspect the "Associate Head Coach" title means both added responsibilities (in recruiting, practice or game preparation, for example) and more money. More success at MU means coaches like Stan and Brett will get more looks from other schools.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
An interesting article on what college basketball assistant coaches are paid at Michigan St. and other national powers:

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2016/08/michigan_state_basketball_assi.html

At Marquette, I suspect the "Associate Head Coach" title means both added responsibilities (in recruiting, practice or game preparation, for example) and more money. More success at MU means coaches like Stan and Brett will get more looks from other schools.

And when they leave, the opportunity looks better.  Shows MU takes care of its own.