[June 07, 2024, 09:53:13 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Incoming freshmen by tower912
[June 07, 2024, 08:06:40 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Kostas Update  (Read 13342 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Kostas Update
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2017, 06:53:01 AM »
People said the same thing about Kostas.

No not quite the same thing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2017, 07:25:55 AM »
The kid had a nice game.  Active.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
Maybe S and J didn’t dig his chit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2017, 07:53:26 AM »
No not quite the same thing.

Yeah the difference is that when Kostats was a sophomore in high school like Alex is now his older brother was still just a long, athletic young player that wasn't yet a top 5 player in the NBA.  He also had just moved to the USA so he hadn't been seen by anybody really.

If Alex were anything decent he would have college scholarship offers, be ranked in recruiting rankings, etc.  If there's a kid that scouts and coaches are going to overlook it's not going to be the younger brother of the odds on favorite (per Las Vegas) to win the NBA MVP.

I'll say with a billion percent confidence that Alex is not going to be one of the top 5 players in the world when he's 22 years old.  He very well may be a blue blood level prospect and a very good professional.  But I'd put a ton of money on him not being better than Giannis.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:55:32 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2017, 07:54:21 AM »
Maybe S and J didn’t dig his chit, hey?

If he was at MU you and Goose would be complaining that we need to stop going after these guys that are just average college players and get some actual talent at MU.  He's basically Ike Eke with a more well known last name.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »
If he was at MU you and Goose would be complaining that we need to stop going after these guys that are just average college players and get some actual talent at MU.  He's basically Ike Eke with a more well known last name.
Go watch the game replay on Watch ESPN. Kostas can play very well . He also played very smart. He is a classic late bloomer.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2017, 10:07:19 AM »
Go watch the game replay on Watch ESPN. Kostas can play very well . He also played very smart. He is a classic late bloomer.

Thanks but I'll take a pass.  I'm a Marquette fan and have no interest in Dayton or Kostas.  If I did I'd head over to UDPride.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »
wadesworld

I would have taken the kid if he never left the bench. IMO, the pluses outweighed the negatives. I have to think having one of the most famous NBA players at games/practice would have aided in recruiting players. I would appreciate it if you did not speak for me. You can be assured the respect will be shown to you.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2017, 10:45:29 AM »
wadesworld

I would have taken the kid if he never left the bench. IMO, the pluses outweighed the negatives. I have to think having one of the most famous NBA players at games/practice would have aided in recruiting players. I would appreciate it if you did not speak for me. You can be assured the respect will be shown to you.

So with this one it's okay to recruit the lower talent? The same level of talent you say is not high enough with our 2017 class?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
wadesworld

Fair enough.  But opposing NBA teams practice in the Al when they come to Milwaukee all the time, Bucks players play pickup games at the Al whether or not their brother goes to MU or not, etc.  It wouldn't change a thing wasting a scholarship on a kid whose only offer was Dayton just because he has a famous last name.

How is having the Knicks around working for St. John's recruiting?  Or the Wizards in town working for Georgetown recruiting?  Kids aren't flocking to Purdue because Tyler Eifert's younger brother is on the hoops team.  Todd Mayo didn't bring in a bunch of high level recruits because OJ would be hanging around the program.  These things really don't do much, if anything at all, in recruiting.

Let's be honest, do we really think millionaire athletes would be thinking, "Hey, my younger brother plays college hoops in the same city I'm playing professionally.  I can't wait to leave my multi-million dollar house/condo to go hang out with him at Humphrey Hall on a Saturday night to drink some Natty Lite with those college kids during Quentin Grimes's recruiting visit!"  I'm skeptical at best.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:50:16 AM by wadesworld »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2017, 10:50:52 AM »
jesmu84

I have no idea what you are talking about. What have I said about the talent of 2017? I have made exactly ZERO comments on that topic. I almost find it comical the statements people make on here in regards to other posters. I can tell you this much, if any of the Frosh class walked into my office today I would have no idea who the fxxk they are.

wades
To compare where the Freak lands in NBA food chain and the stiffs you noted is beyond belief. OJ Mayo vs. The Freak....give me a break.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
Well, lets see how good Froling is since taking Kostas would've meant no Froling.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2017, 01:13:42 PM »
jesmu84

I have no idea what you are talking about. What have I said about the talent of 2017? I have made exactly ZERO comments on that topic. I almost find it comical the statements people make on here in regards to other posters. I can tell you this much, if any of the Frosh class walked into my office today I would have no idea who the fxxk they are.

wades
To compare where the Freak lands in NBA food chain and the stiffs you noted is beyond belief. OJ Mayo vs. The Freak....give me a break.

I think you're missing my point.  Multimillion dollar NBA guys, whether they are LeBron James or Travis Diener when he was hanging around in the NBA, aren't going out of their way to help their siblings' college coaches recruit the best basketball players, players that their younger brothers will be competing with for minutes.  That's just not happening.

Obviously if there's a younger sibling (or son) of a HOF type player that is a star player himself you go after him...because the kid is good.  But in that case the player and his family is looking at the school as a means to an end, a filler period until the player can get into the NBA.  They aren't going to form some great family connection to the school and start showing up at school events and meeting up with future players.

OR they are Kostas, the kid isn't very good, but of course everyone around them thinks they're the best because they should, but then the family expects more playing time and when it doesn't come why would they help out the coach to bring in MORE talent to steal MORE minutes from the kid?  The answer is they wouldn't.

Thankfully coaches know this and that's why Michael Jordan's son ends up at UCF and why Giannis's brother ends up at Dayton.  Superstar, millionaire people by and large care about themselves first, second, and third and couldn't care less whether they help the coach of a brother's college team.  They aren't going to go out of their way to "happen" to be around when a star recruit is on a visit just to help the coach get more talent, they aren't going to pay their brother's/son's tuition just to open up an extra scholarship for his coach's team, etc.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2017, 01:24:14 PM »
wades

Thank you for helping me understand how multi millionaire NBA player thinks and how they prioritize life. I have to say I am impressed the depth of knowledge many of you possess. Thank you for sharing your insight into the complex mind of an NBA player. Silly me, I actually thought Giannis might take interest in brother's career, especially if in the town he lives in. Thanks for bursting that bubble.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »
wades

Thank you for helping me understand how multi millionaire NBA player thinks and how they prioritize life. I have to say I am impressed the depth of knowledge many of you possess. Thank you for sharing your insight into the complex mind of an NBA player. Silly me, I actually thought Giannis might take interest in brother's career, especially if in the town he lives in. Thanks for bursting that bubble.

I think Giannis would take an interest his brother's career, I just don't think it would have any effect on recruiting.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »
I think Giannis would take an interest his brother's career, I just don't think it would have any effect on recruiting.

Bingo.  At least someone gets it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »
wades

Have you ever been part of major D1 recruiting visit with a top player? Do you know the process that happens during these weekend visits? Do you know the number of people a top recruit will meet in a weekend? Curious, if Grimes met Dwade when he was in town, is that a positive for MU? Is Dwade actively involved in the recruitment if he met Grimes that weekend?

For the record, I do not think Giannis would be on the road watching AAU games for Wojo. He is already a top ten popular player in the league and that would help recruiting a great deal.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2017, 01:41:58 PM »
News story after Hofstra game. Great pic of blocked shot.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/grant-antetokounmpo-played-really-well/4mXWKnMzx3QnpSlRWULWwM/

Kostas had another solid performance yesterday in the win versus Ohio University
13 minutes 4 points 3 boards 3 blocked shots

---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2017, 01:42:43 PM »
News story after Hofstra game. Great pic of blocked shot.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/grant-antetokounmpo-played-really-well/4mXWKnMzx3QnpSlRWULWwM/

Kostas had another solid performance yesterday in the win versus Ohio University

Nobody cares.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2017, 01:56:47 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »

13 minutes, 2 turnovers, ORtg of only 88. "Solid"
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2017, 12:26:06 PM »
13 minutes, 2 turnovers, ORtg of only 88. "Solid"
Your the same guy who says free throws don't matter. Kostas is a dominating defensive force. Wath the game , not the stats.

---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
Your the same guy who says free throws don't matter. Kostas is a dominating defensive force. Wath the game , not the stats.

So dominating he commands a whopping 13 minutes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »
So dominating he commands a whopping 13 minutes.

On a bad team
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2017, 07:11:41 PM »
wouldn't surprise me if kostas becomes a late blooming thon maker type.  just wishing him the best.  as long as he stays on his brother giannis good $ide, he could at least carry his bro's "bike" ayn'er?
don't...don't don't don't don't