[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe  (Read 71229 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe
« Reply #350 on: September 06, 2021, 06:59:19 PM »
The return of a Marvel character who got more screentime than I expected was a fantastic comic relief.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #351 on: September 06, 2021, 07:42:44 PM »
Anyone else take in Shang Chi this weekend?

We went downtown New Haven to see because it's our favorite and the movie theater finally reopened 2 weeks ago post-Covid.
The theater was packed will Yale students going to see

I liked it a lot.

Probably a bit overrated based off some of the hype but it was really good. One of the best debut marvel movies forsure.

The fight scenes were absolutely nuts.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #352 on: September 07, 2021, 06:27:50 AM »
The return of a Marvel character who got more screentime than I expected was a fantastic comic relief.

His acknowledgment of the problematic nature of his character was very well done. Sort of a Fourth Wall breaking moment from Marvel to the fans.

I really enjoyed Shang Chi. I loved how they handled Xu Wenwu's (the "real" Mandarin) story arc, the bus fight, and the development of Sean into a legit centerpiece character for the future of the MCU. Truly great cinema.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #353 on: September 07, 2021, 09:31:00 PM »
Excited to have Awkwafina part of the marvel universe. Enjoyed the film.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #354 on: September 07, 2021, 10:59:37 PM »
Excited to have Awkwafina part of the marvel universe. Enjoyed the film.

Eh, her character kinda irritated me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #355 on: September 13, 2021, 06:50:04 PM »
I went from "of course I'll watch Hawkeye" to "HOLY CRAP I CAN'T WAIT FOR HAWKEYE!!!!!!!!!" after watching this trailer today. Looks like the MCU Die Hard.

https://youtu.be/RYlUsUBqf_s

tower912

• All American
« Reply #356 on: September 13, 2021, 07:13:48 PM »
About time Marvel did a holiday themed production
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #357 on: October 01, 2021, 09:25:36 AM »
About time Marvel did a holiday themed production

isn't there going to literally be a Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas special?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #358 on: October 03, 2021, 06:43:22 AM »
The older daughter was home for Fall Break and is a Tom Hardy fan so wanted to see Venom.  The symbiote comments in the film are funny.  Also, apparently, Venom is now officially in the MCU.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 06:56:27 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #359 on: November 24, 2021, 08:22:43 AM »
It's Rogers: The Musical Day! Or, Hawkeye Day, if you prefer. I watched the first episode on Disney+. I love Renner as Barton and am really looking forward to this one. He's done a good job of taking a character that always felt like a throwaway in the Avengers, which made him even more of a throwaway because for so long Avengers took a back seat to the X-Men, Spidey, and other more popular Marvel properties. Renner has just had so many great moments and I like Hailee Steinfeld as the Bishop casting. Couple that with the holiday theme and it should be a fun ride.

Interesting that Eternals didn't lead to a bump in this thread. I saw it...it was fine. Probably ranks bottom half of MCU movies for me. A few thoughts...

• Pacing was too slow. Beautiful film, but Chloe Zhao just didn't move it along like a typical MCU movie. I think that's why the lukewarm reception.
  • I liked how they set up having the Eternals not get involved previously, and how the snap impacted the overall storyline. That was a tough needle to thread and I thought the explanation worked well.
  • Good choice to stick closer to the Gaiman story than Kirby; Jack was brilliant but his original Eternals stuff was really out there. Also liked the villain twist they threw in there, which felt Gaiman-inspired but was still a turn from his source material.
  • Going forward, I love Dane and Sersei as characters moving into a New Avengers. Also love how we get the first whispers (words rather) of Blade; that was Mahershala Ali's voice talking to Dane as he was looking at the Ebony Blade.
  • Be interesting to see if they set up parallel MCU Earth and MCU Cosmic storylines. I'd love to see them follow the Secret Invasion and Kang stuff with the earthbound heroes while using Fantastic Four as a launching point toward stories like Annihilation with the Guardians, Cosmic Eternals, Starfox, Adam Warlock, and Nova (fingers crossed).
  • More than anything, this felt like a table-setter. It will be an important movie down the line and will probably be better on the rewatch, but in the moment landed a bit flat.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #360 on: November 24, 2021, 10:18:52 AM »
Thanks Brew.
I have not seen Eternals yet mainly because my wife and I have had something else on the calendar every weekend since it's release.  The kids are home this week and we'll probably go to the movies on Saturday.  Either Eternals or Ghostbusters - kids choice.
Hawkeye series will probably have to wait until after Dec 18 when kid number two is home for Christmas break since both will want to see. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #361 on: November 24, 2021, 10:25:20 AM »
I tried to avoid too many spoilers ;)

I really liked the Gaiman Eternals series so I think I might have enjoyed the stuff they borrowed from that more than some and it really is visually stunning.

Saving Hawkeye for Christmas seems appropriate ;D

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #362 on: November 24, 2021, 10:34:31 AM »
Hawkeye is the clear beginning of getting the old Netflix marvel crossed into the current.

Far from home will double down on it

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #363 on: November 24, 2021, 10:47:30 AM »
Hawkeye is the clear beginning of getting the old Netflix marvel crossed into the current.

Far from home will double down on it

I know they've rumored a Murdock cameo in FFH or She Hulk, but it would be something if they worked some of it into this series. Fisk or Bullseye would be perfect fits. Though obviously right now we're waiting for Yelena, though I don't expect her until about halfway through, and probably just for one or two episodes.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #364 on: November 24, 2021, 10:52:48 AM »
I know they've rumored a Murdock cameo in FFH or She Hulk, but it would be something if they worked some of it into this series. Fisk or Bullseye would be perfect fits. Though obviously right now we're waiting for Yelena, though I don't expect her until about halfway through, and probably just for one or two episodes.

Really hope the smoke about D’Onofrio making his return to the MCU as Kingpin is true.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #365 on: November 24, 2021, 10:57:53 AM »

The unsubstantiated rumors(but appearing likely) are that Kingpin shows up in Hawkeye.

Murdock in lawyer form in Spidey

And then the entire main group from DD show up in the Echo series which is confirmed to air.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #366 on: November 24, 2021, 11:06:17 AM »
Has there been any confirmation on mutants?

Felt like Eternals was setting up Galactus as well.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #367 on: November 24, 2021, 12:31:20 PM »
Has there been any confirmation on mutants?

Felt like Eternals was setting up Galactus as well.

No, but it's certainly coming. It will be interesting to see how they introduce them. Guessing they want to get some time away from the last X-Men movies, and probably want Hugh Jackman to get into his 60s so casual fans are more accepting when they recast Wolverine. I would guess Fantastic Four gets the November 2023 spot (family movie in time for Thanksgiving and the holidays) and Blade the February 2024 spot (Mahershala Ali leading a franchise in Black History Month).

Beyond the current schedule, we know Captain America 4 is coming, a likely Deadpool movie, a Shang-Chi sequel, and I think there's a decent chance we get a Young Avengers movie to take on Kang. That gets them into 2025 without touching properties like Nova, Infinity Watch, or Ghost Rider (all seem likely given what we've already seen) or cinematically expanding on Black Knight, Jane Foster Thor, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers, all of which seem likely.

My guess is we eventually get a Wanda stand-alone movie in which she inadvertently creates mutants, or we learn a few have existed all along (Magneto, Logan, Xavier) and she whispers "More mutants" to do an inverse House of M. But I don't think they'll go down that road until near the end of the decade, which is frankly kind of crazy considering how long people have wanted mutants in the MCU.

EDIT: And agree that Galactus is coming. Eternals showed the capability for the scope of Galactus. Guessing we'll see those whispers in Fantastic Four or one of their sequels. And definitely see Norrin Radd eventually as well, hopefully with some of the other Heralds coming along.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 12:32:51 PM by brewcity77 »

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #368 on: November 24, 2021, 07:01:10 PM »
First episode was a little clunky. Not sold on Hailee Steinfeld yet.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #369 on: December 05, 2021, 10:08:13 PM »
Hawkeye E3 was the best single episode of any MCU show so far. The combination of exposition and action was awesome. I'll be interested to see how they tie Echo's dad in, but between the meaty hand in the dojo and the "Fat Man" repair shop, pretty clear who's coming.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #370 on: December 06, 2021, 09:07:12 AM »
Hawkeye E3 was the best single episode of any MCU show so far. The combination of exposition and action was awesome. I'll be interested to see how they tie Echo's dad in, but between the meaty hand in the dojo and the "Fat Man" repair shop, pretty clear who's coming.

It was cool to See Lou Diamond Philips again.  It's been awhile.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #371 on: December 06, 2021, 10:46:21 AM »
That guy named after the Woody Harrelson, Bill Murray, Randy Quaid movie?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #372 on: December 06, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »

I'm so excited. While I didn't love everything about the Daredevil series, the Fat Man was so perfectly acted. Excited to see more of him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #373 on: December 06, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »
Caught up on Shang Chi and Black Widow.

Shang Chi was excellent.

Black Widow was meh.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #374 on: December 06, 2021, 08:36:38 PM »
Caught up on Shang Chi and Black Widow.

Shang Chi was excellent.

Black Widow was meh.

Black Widow felt average, which is a disappointment for the MCU. What really disappointed me was that it was an opportunity to set up Easter eggs and future stories, but it felt like Yelena was the only (and most predictable) piece of plot setup.

feedback