'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: EwingTown  (Read 24379 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: EwingTown
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »
We've had Jimmy and Wade and Jabari around the program before. I wonder if it's about semantics...Oh Jimmy is here today VS he's here to pitch you on Marquette.

At some point, the existence of those players as alumni are their own selling point.  Weird that AI would be a selling point for Georgetown

Probably very different rules for current players vs recruits.  I know Jabari, DWade and Jimmy are around the program (current players) a lot.  Not so sure they're around recruits.   It also might be that former stars can't travel specifically to visit recruits.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2017, 08:48:12 PM »
We've had Jimmy and Wade and Jabari around the program before. I wonder if it's about semantics...Oh Jimmy is here today VS he's here to pitch you on Marquette.

At some point, the existence of those players as alumni are their own selling point.  Weird that AI would be a selling point for Georgetown
They came to the practice talked to the team different from amtalking directly and recruiting
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »
Probably very different rules for current players vs recruits.  I know Jabari, DWade and Jimmy are around the program (current players) a lot.  Not so sure they're around recruits.   It also might be that former stars can't travel specifically to visit recruits.

Pretty sure I remember Joey tweeting about playing against Jabari Parker in the Kasten. Could be making it up
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
Pretty sure I remember Joey tweeting about playing against Jabari Parker in the Kasten. Could be making it up

But Jabari is not an alum of Marquette.  So no violation?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
They came to the practice talked to the team different from amtalking directly and recruiting

So semantics. Joey just "happens" to be around. But to be fair, Jimmy is almost as good as an ice cream truck.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »

That's why I said it might just be that people who aren't employed by the program can't go on recruiting trips.  Throwing out possible reasons why Ewing's comment would have been bad....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2017, 11:01:12 PM »
The definition of who cannot solicit a recruit is very broad. For example if You have given money to Blue and Gold fund, your now off limits to recruits.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2017, 12:51:40 AM »

Bulls are in town and having practice at the Al while a recruit is touring, not a violation. Jimmy and Wade take time out of said practice to sell the kid on Marquette, violation.

It's about how the contact happens and the extent of it, but the biggest issue with Ewing was that he went on national television saying "I'm going to have Allen Iverson commit a recruiting violation for me." If AI happens to be on campus when Waters is, and they happen to have a conversation no one else is privy to, that's different than Ewing publicly soliciting said aid.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2017, 08:01:08 AM »
The article said that it's a slap on the wrist and the NCAA knows that the rule is hard to enforce.  JFB saying "hi, kids" at the Al is probably not a big deal. 

My guess is that they have this rule on the books so Ewing doesn't tell Iverson to go to the kid's school, hoist him up on his shoulders, and lead chants of the kid's name.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2017, 08:31:36 AM »
The article said that it's a slap on the wrist and the NCAA knows that the rule is hard to enforce.  JFB saying "hi, kids" at the Al is probably not a big deal. 

My guess is that they have this rule on the books so Ewing doesn't tell Iverson to go to the kid's school, hoist him up on his shoulders, and lead chants of the kid's name.

That's how I see it.  If you think JFB isn't saying 'MU would be a great fit' to a kid when they are both at the Al I'd be very surprised.  That's different than putting him out on the recruiting trail.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »

I think it's pretty much there to prevent exactly what Ewing suggested happening. Getting non-coaches actively involved in the recruiting process and potentially creating an unfair advantage in the process. Hard to stop incidental contact, even manufactured incidental contact, it's the blatant and deliberate stuff they want to avoid.

silverback

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2017, 10:08:49 PM »
Forget it, Jake...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
Tremont Waters Update from today's New Haven Register.  Interesting that Creighton mentioned as in the mix with an inter-conference issue.

http://www.gametimect.com/boys-basketball-waters-back-market-division-schools-continue-show-interest/

Boys basketball: Waters back on market as Division I schools continue to show interest
Published April 12, 2017 | by Jim Fuller | Leave a Comment

NEW YORK >> In a perfect world, the reporters who surrounded New Haven native Tremont Waters would have asked him about the countless number of jaw-dropping passes he delivered to his teammates at Wednesday’s Jordan Brand Classic practice at the HSS Training Center in Brooklyn.

However, with Waters’ decision to ask for and receive his release from the national letter of intent he signed with Georgetown, naturally the questions he faced were of the recruiting variety.

Waters said he has heard from Creighton head coach Greg McDermott and recently met with newly-hired Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing. Waters said that he is still considering Georgetown.

“Creighton, Kansas, Syracuse have come into play, a bunch of other schools,” Waters said. “Creighton hit me up yesterday. My dad has been dealing with the other coaches. UConn is (involved) too.”

Waters wasn’t ready to make a declaration of when he would be announcing his college decision.

“As soon as possible,” Waters said. “I am not going to put a time frame on it, just as soon as possible. It is stressful once again. At this moment. I haven’t really heard from the coaches directly. My dad has been dealing with it, I am trying to keep working out, check in with him daily and just see what is going on.”

The Creighton situation presents some issues since the Big East has regulations preventing a player from signing with one Big East school and then becoming a scholarship player at another school within the conference.

When asked specifically about visiting UConn, Waters said, ‘I’ve think I’ve visited enough, being from Connecticut and going to camps so I think I’ve visited enough.”

Waters continues to keep tabs on the incoming freshmen and returning players on the teams he is considering. He is more than happy to let his father handle much of the heavy lifting in the recruiting process.

“It gives me a chance to focus on school and basketball, not deal with all the media, all the coaches so I just stay focused and keep working out,” said Waters, who will be playing for the East team in Friday’s Jordan Brand Classic at the Barclays Center (8 p.m., ESPN2).

Waters said the rumors surrounding the coaching future of John Thompson III, who was fired after the season ended, played a major role in requesting to be released from his commitment to Georgetown.

“I saw tweets about Coach Thompson being fired and rumors about it,” Waters said. “The season didn’t go that well and more and more tweets and stories about him being fired. I wanted to go into a situation where I didn’t have to worry about my coach getting fired so I asked for my release.

“The same day (Ewing was hired) he reached out. He said we are going to keep in touch.”

Waters had an interesting reaction to meeting Ewing.

“It was really good,” Waters said. “I was shocked when I saw him, I didn’t think he was that tall but he is saying the same thing that Coach John Thompson was saying.”

So what is Waters looking for in his college of choice?

“Pretty much any system I go into I will be able to perform to the best of my abilities and make the team better,” Waters said. “I also want to see who is going to what schools as far as bigs and guards wise.”

Right now Waters’ emphasis is on playing in the Jordan Brand Classic.

“It is a dream come true to come from a small city like New Haven and we don’t get recruited a lot,” Waters said. “It is just a humbling experience, I am blessed to be here.”

About Jim Fuller

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2017, 12:42:35 PM »
Hmm. I know from the Brown situation that the signed NLI is key to not allow intraconference transfers. Is it different if the school releases the player from their NLI before he makes it to campus?
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2017, 02:38:32 PM »
Hmm. I know from the Brown situation that the signed NLI is key to not allow intraconference transfers. Is it different if the school releases the player from their NLI before he makes it to campus?

Letter of the law, no difference, at least how I read it. Creighton cannot sign Waters.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2017, 08:20:25 AM »
Letter of the law, no difference, at least how I read it. Creighton cannot sign Waters.

Cannot sign, or cannot give a scholarship to?  Now, I know no way he goes without out a scholarship...but that's the way the article reads.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2017, 12:38:49 PM »
Cannot sign, or cannot give a scholarship to?  Now, I know no way he goes without out a scholarship...but that's the way the article reads.

Correct, sorry, I misstated that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
Ewing gets his first recruit:

@evandaniels: 2017 point guard Jahvon Blair just verbally committed to Georgetown, per Tony McIntyre. Played for CIA Bounce and Athlete Institute.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
Ewing gets his first recruit:

@evandaniels: 2017 point guard Jahvon Blair just verbally committed to Georgetown, per Tony McIntyre. Played for CIA Bounce and Athlete Institute.

Former high school teammate of Khalif Young IIRC
TAMU

feedback